SG bought by Vista Group

3forks

WKR
Here’s to hoping SG’s new corporate overlords leave the brand alone.

Vista Outdoor, Inc. announced the acquisition of Stone Glacier, a maker of lightweight, performance hunting gear designed for backcountry use.

Terms were not disclosed.

Vista Outdoor said the addition of Stone Glacier to Vista Outdoor’s portfolio of outdoor products and shooting sports brands will allow the company to enter the packs, camping equipment and technical apparel categories with a growing brand and provide a foundation for Vista Outdoor to leverage the camping category.

Founded in 2012 by Kurt Racicot, Stone Glacier designs and manufactures gear for backcountry adventurers. Stone Glacier is headquartered in Bozeman, MT.

“I am excited to welcome the Stone Glacier team into the Vista Outdoor family,” said Vista Outdoor Chief Executive Officer Chris Metz. “Stone Glacier is an enthusiast brand that is fast-growing, well-managed and a great cultural fit. Our centers of excellence, brand portfolio and distribution network will support Stone Glacier as they reach their next level of awareness, maturity and growth. Stone Glacier enhances our ability to enter and leverage the camping category, which has exploded n popularity over recent years. The acquisition also further bolsters our reputation as the acquirer of choice in the outdoor industry.”

“The future of Stone Glacier is bright. This partnership comes at a great time for our business, and we are excited for the support that Vista Outdoor will provide to accelerate our growth and continue developing industry-leading products,” said Stone Glacier President Jeff Sposito. “We have been fortunate to build a following of the most dedicated backcountry hunters, and it has always been our mission to bring the best products, services and innovations to market. This partnership ensures we will continue to execute on that mission at the highest level.”

Vista Outdoor used cash on hand and available liquidity under its asset-based revolving credit facility to complete the transaction. Vista Outdoor expects the transaction to be immediately accretive to earnings, excluding transaction and transition costs. Vista Outdoor’s leverage ratio is expected to be below 1.0x at FY 2022 fiscal year-end. This is the seventh acquisition in the last 16 months for Vista Outdoor, including Remington, HEVI-Shot, Venor, QuietKat, Foresight Sports, and Fiber Energy Products.

Reed Smith LLP acted as legal counsel to Vista Outdoor and Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP acted as legal counsel to the sellers in connection with the transaction.

Vista’s major brands include CamelBak, Bushnell, Remington Ammunition, Bushnell Golf, Bell Helmets, Camp Chef, Foresight Sports, Giro, QuietKat, and Federal.

woods89

WKR
I've always admired the innovation that SG brought to the table, even though I don't own any of their gear. If I ever needed another pack it probably would have been one of theirs.

Knowing how these usually play out, I'm a little depressed. I really hope I'm wrong.

tdhanses

WKR
I've always admired the innovation that SG brought to the table, even though I don't own any of their gear. If I ever needed another pack it probably would have been one of theirs.

Knowing how these usually play out, I'm a little depressed. I really hope I'm wrong.
I doubt you see much change other then it may be easier to get SG products.

Wrench

WKR
If they keep it 100% usa based, I will be surprised. Corporate giants look at bottom lines. When they see consumers willing to spend a rent check on a backpack they see potential. They don't always put two and two together and recognize that we're willing to pay a premium for domestic products and will not for foreign.

I hope Kurt expressed that +P.

slick

WKR
Good for Kurt. I do prefer doing business with cottage companies even if it means paying more.

Hopefully the products and customer service don't take a hit with the new owners.

Mt Al

WKR
Vista owns some great brands that haven't gone downhill. They chased off a few performers with the Blackhawk purchase - but they also kept some of the rock star innovators, tool makers that now work in Manhattan, MT. Crazy smart people who anyone would want on their team.

I don't know squat about SG even though I drive by regularly, Marc's dad (?? some family person related to SG leadership) was an outdoor industry veteran and happy for them.

Blandry

WKR
If they keep it 100% usa based, I will be surprised. Corporate giants look at bottom lines. When they see consumers willing to spend a rent check on a backpack they see potential. They don't always put two and two together and recognize that we're willing to pay a premium for domestic products and will not for foreign.

I hope Kurt expressed that +P.
Since when are rent checks $800... double or triple that for even an apartment now days. The dollar is being devalued and it ain't getting better. But you are correct, people are willing to pay top dollar for quality gear and SG is super quality gear.. why I own most of what they sell and have their stickers all over my Jeep and coffee cups

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
I wonder how Steve/MeatEater feels about this. I believe he tried buying SG as well and got told no way jose.
It would be really interesting to know if the ownership of the ME brand had anything to do with their decision making or if it was a purely monetary decision. I like the idea of rejecting an Anti-2A ownership stake and then signing with a company that owns a TON of ammo and shooting-sport related companies.

Since there is probably no legitimate way to tell that is the story I'm going to tell myself!

big fish eat little fish. Nothing you can do about it. One positive is Sg apparel is very hit or miss regarding size. With a much larger budget and access to the best tools and designers they can maybe clean up the sizing and get better materials. Its not secret hydra sheild isn't the best textile for a waterproof layer.

Vista has been pretty consistent with their brands and left them do their thing. They let savage be sold to the CEO.

I do think it’s funny meat eater got out bid.

So does meat eater go after EXO next?

Vista has been pretty consistent with their brands and left them do their thing. They let savage be sold to the CEO.

I do think it’s funny meat eater got out bid.

So does meat eater go after EXO next?
To me it always made more sense meat eater gets exo becasue they use fusion already. And you see guys posting pictures all wearing these common gear choices first lite, fhf, exo are all usually on that user.

in my opinion fhf, FL, exo is the idaho/pnw guys.

Sg, sitka, kuiu is the Montana Alaska guys.

That’s probably not good!

When the bean counters start counting beans there will be changes that will likely negatively effect the end product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
Since when are rent checks $800... double or triple that for even an apartment now days. The dollar is being devalued and it ain't getting better. But you are correct, people are willing to pay top dollar for quality gear and SG is super quality gear.. why I own most of what they sell and have their stickers all over my Jeep and coffee cups
You're probably right....I am out of touch on rent since I have owned my possession outright for several years.