SG bought by Vista Group

tdhanses

WKR
That’s an interesting statement, perhaps still true, but I believe muddied up a bit. In 2018 Vista Outdoors claimed that they were going to divest of their firearms business in the wake of the Parkland, Florida school shooting. REI it seems threatened to pull it’s business dealings with Vista if they did not. However, I am confused because when I look at their holdings of brands, they still include firearms manufacturers. So what are they? A capitulating company to whims, or are they 2A strong as you say?
Truthfully if true it wouldn’t make sense that Vista would pander to REI, that has to be a tiny share of their goods sold overall compared to sporting good stores worldwide that also sell hunting equipment, firearms, ammo, reloading supplies etc.

REI is not a huge retailer.

Truthfully if true it wouldn’t make sense that Vista would pander to REI, that has to be a tiny share of their goods sold overall compared to sporting good stores worldwide that also sell hunting equipment, firearms, ammo, reloading supplies etc.

REI is not a huge retailer.
What is huge? It’s no Walmart, but 165+ locations and 15k employees is significant.

tdhanses

WKR
What is huge? It’s no Walmart, but 165+ locations and 15k employees is significant.
But is that really a market mover for Vista? Does REI really have a hold on a hunting and shooting company?

REI isn’t really a national org or global. I could be wrong but i’d think alienating the hunting and shooting community would have more of a financial hit then the backpacking community based on their corporate holdings.

I also wonder how many members/customers REI lost when they published their anti 2A stance, I haven’t shopped there since, would rather go to a Scheels even if I spend more.

REI also only sells a limited number of Vista’s goods, the majority of items REI would never sell already.

Last edited:
But is that really a market mover for Vista? Does REI really have a hold on a hunting and shooting company?

REI isn’t really a national org or global.
I have no idea. They’re in almost 40 states, so I would call them pretty national. I do think it’s hard to compete revenue-wise with sporting goods stores selling high end firearms and glass.

I guess if doesn’t matter. According to the link previously posted, they were simply making business decisions. On top of that, we know they still own several firearms related brands.

tdhanses

WKR
I have no idea. They’re in almost 40 states, so I would call them pretty national. I do think it’s hard to compete revenue-wise with sporting goods stores selling high end firearms and glass.

I guess if doesn’t matter. According to the link previously posted, they were simply making business decisions. On top of that, we know they still own several firearms related brands.
They have small retail stores as well but why would anyone here buy from an REI yet try to toss Vista under the bus.

No REI isn’t a mom and pop company but 15K employees and 165 retail locations isn’t huge but isn’t small, there are many small mom and pop shops and some large companies that sell Vista products, makes one wonder if REI stopped selling their goods would it really be a dramatic hit to the bottom dollar for Vista, if it would we have a problem when you think about it, considering the holdings of Vista.

REI is a blimp though on the radar of a hunting and shooting company or people that are into that. A small % of hunters have probably even heard of REI but here it’s well known.

Dick’s Sporting Goods VS. REI​

Taking a deeper dive into the market, the study also looked at two major U.S. chains that sell sporting and outdoor goods: Dick’s Sporting Goods and REI. Dick’s is the largest sporting goods retailer in the U.S. with 850 stores, while REI has 154 stores and a heavy focus on e-commerce.

In online polls of more than 27,000 U.S. adults, Dick’s shows to be the more popular option among Americans by far; 58% have never heard of REI.

bsnedeker

WKR
They have small retail stores as well but why would anyone here buy from an REI yet try to toss Vista under the bus.

No REI isn’t a mom and pop company but 15K employees and 165 retail locations isn’t huge but isn’t small, there are many small mom and pop shops and some large companies that sell Vista products, makes one wonder if REI stopped selling good would it really be a dramatic hit to the bottom dollar for Vista, if it would we have a problem when you think about it, considering the holdings of Vista.

REI is a blimp though on the radar of a hunting and shooting company or people that are into that. A small % of hunters have probably even heard of REI but here it’s well known.
Which is why nobody who believes in the 2A should ever buy from REI.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

For the "non-consumptive" crowd, I can't think of a bigger brand than REI. Backcountry maybe? REI is probably a big player for brands Camelback, Bell, and giro. I know they do a lot of business in online sales too. That said, those 3 brands are pretty odd outliers in the Vista portfolio.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Find a higher producing Pittman Robertson tax company. REI dropped camelback, I’m not sure it’s back.

Savage was an internal purchase back by the President/CEO of savage.

What a lot of people are missing is by selling stake to Vista every employee of SG (Whether by gift of SG or vista’s espp program)has an owner ship stake in vista most likely or has now the potential,

It’s not always a bad thing to be sold. My company was bought 12 years ago at $12 a share. Today it’s 130 share. I was basically traded ASU/RSU’s. Best thing that’s ever happened to me

I’d say it’s a great time to be a SG employee

Last edited:
Try again its two small product lines, bell and camelbak. Camelbak as a company is only 40mil.

Vista Outdoor paid over $87 million in Federal Excise Taxes during our fiscal year 2017 to the Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Fund.
Ok.

I appreciate the views and concerns regarding Stone Glacier’s acquisition by Vista, and I also understand any fear that there would be change in our company or products. I can assure you that there is no one that has more time and energy invested in Stone Glacier than myself, and no one cares more about the direction and culture of Stone Glacier than I. The sale to Vista offers Stone Glacier and employees more opportunity and security to provide the service and products at the high level we have set for ourselves. If the sale would not benefit Stone Glacier, its employees, and its customers, we would not have done it. We are in the business of providing the best gear and service we can to our customers, to provide an enjoyable, secure work environment to our employees, and this sale is another step to help ensure that for the future.

There are no changes to our business model, customer service, product development, manufacturing, or any other customer concerns. I am staying in the same designer role, Jeff Sposito is continuing as our CEO. All employees at Stone Glacier are remaining the same and in the same roles as well. To say that there are no changes to be expected at all would not be realistic, however we are in a state of constant change with our growth and we will navigate any new path with the same compass we have been using. As always, feel free to reach out if you have any questions I can help with.

Best

Kurt

[email protected]
Congratulations on the sale. But the big question of the day is, “With the new ownership is the offer to stop by the shop and have a beer still on the table?”😁