SG De Haviland vs Jetstream

MTRaine

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done a ton of searching and have struggled to find much on the Stone Glacier De Haviland jacket. I’m looking at this vs a Sitka Jetstream. I know the Jetstream is heavier and has wind stopper which makes me nervous, as I tend to run rather hot once moving. I’ve got two puffys(SG and Mountain Hardware) and two Sitka shells so I’m not really worried about insane warmth. I just want something that can be used as an active outer when I’m moving and it’s windy and cold but not wet. I have a old Sitka 90% jacket in mothwing that I love dearly it goes everywhere with me, I just wish it had a hood and a little more layer room hence the reason I’m eyeballing a soft shell. So I guess after my rant the real question is which one of these two is most similar in attributes in your experience to a 90% jacket? I’m also open to opinions on the kuiu axis jacket but I do have bitter feelings towards kuiu so I’m leaning towards the other two preferably. I look forward to everyone’s opinions. Thanks!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The De Havilland Jacket is definitely a better soft shell for active hunts because it does not have a laminate which will help with breath-ability. The pocket layout on the De Havilland is better than the Jetstream if you need to access your pockets while wearing a pack.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
The Jetstream does have pit zips which help a lot with being able to get airflow when you want it. I also get very warm when moving and have had no problems with the jetstream pit zips open. I generally use it from temps around 50 to -10 when moving a lot, with proper layers underneath. I have no experience with the SG jacket so I can't speak on it, but I do love the Jetstream!

I’ve had a 90%, Jetstream and now use the axis. I also have DeHavilland pants which actually do pretty well in the wind. I think the DeHavilland will be fine for you, the pants are for sure better against the wind than my 90% jacket was. I think the answer without having tried the SG jacket is the Axis which I really like for your described conditions plus snow or rain at or just above freezing. But I also think you will be happy with the SG jacket. I think the Jetstream has a more tapered cut at the waist then the 90% also.

OP
MTRaine

MTRaine

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your input guys! Looks like I’m probably going to go the SG route, as it sounds like it’ll fit my needs the best. The Jetstream is nice but overkill the more I look at it in person. Kuiu is out for me based on their sizing and business direction. I’ll let you guys know in a few months more about the SG jacket.

Santa

FNG
I was really excited about the SG jacket, (I especially liked the new coyote/green color), but was bummed to have to return it due to the extremely weird fit. Shoulders were pretty narrow, then the mid-section was HUGE, then it tapered back to a very narrow waist. When zipped up, it almost resembled a diamond shape. I'm 6'1 and tend to favor slightly more athletic fits (not tight...but definitely not over-sized). This was my first swing at a SG coat., so maybe I'm not as familiar with their sizing nuances, as I am with FL and Kuiu. Just my 2 cents.

OP
MTRaine

MTRaine

Lil-Rokslider
I was really excited about the SG jacket, (I especially liked the new coyote/green color), but was bummed to have to return it due to the extremely weird fit. Shoulders were pretty narrow, then the mid-section was HUGE, then it tapered back to a very narrow waist. When zipped up, it almost resembled a diamond shape. I'm 6'1 and tend to favor slightly more athletic fits (not tight...but definitely not over-sized). This was my first swing at a SG coat., so maybe I'm not as familiar with their sizing nuances, as I am with FL and Kuiu. Just my 2 cents.
That’s weird. I ended up with the SG jacket. A medium fits me like a glove. Best fitting soft shell for my build that I’ve owned. I’m 5’8 138lb long arms and Broad shoulders and built fairly lanky but solid.A90AD68E-B632-4909-9481-F24547FD1EB3.jpeg

I agree. I can wear large in both Grumman and m5 but need xl on de havilland

tracker12

WKR
You sound just like me. I have a 10 year old 90% in Mothwing and was in need of a replacement and wanted a hood. I just ordered a Jetstream in Brown and waiting for it to come in.

Kuiu has never worked for me except for a down vest that I have enjoyed.

tam9492

WKR
Here's a review I just wrapped up on the SG. I would typically order a large, but the XL fit comfortably - especially if I was planning to wore more than a baselayer underneath.

Santa

FNG
That’s weird. I ended up with the SG jacket. A medium fits me like a glove. Best fitting soft shell for my build that I’ve owned. I’m 5’8 138lb long arms and Broad shoulders and built fairly lanky but solid.View attachment 211783
Glad it worked out for you! It’s a damn good looking and feeling jacket, but just wasn’t the right fit for me. Oh well, isn’t it great that we have so many options to choose from these days?!

dyllanmurray

Lil-Rokslider
Dang that’s such a sweet jacket. I’m 5’8 175 and Thinking about picking up a medium but might go large due to my thicc mid section. Stay tuned.

Decker9

WKR
Dang that’s such a sweet jacket. I’m 5’8 175 and Thinking about picking up a medium but might go large due to my thicc mid section. Stay tuned.

Im close to the same size (5’ 10” @ 165lb) and the large De Havilland fits ok, but with not much room for layering. I say “ok” because I do find the fit on it rather weird. I was awarded mine, otherwise I’d offer to sell it to you lol. Much prefer my jetstream.

TBHasler

WKR
Dropped by Scheels today in TX, new M7 pants and jackets were in - they’re real nice!
New de havilland pants (lite) were in stock as well and they were cut and designed just like the original but with much lighter and more breathable synthetic fabric. Also $20 cheaper than originals.
I’m really looking forward to what SG continues to produce in their clothing line up - I think they have a strong foundation and they’re designed very well.

To the OP - might want to check out the timberline Sitka jacket - blocks wind well, great dwr but it’s much lighter than the Jetstream, especially when moving. Only ding for me is no pit zips

Piranha37

FNG
Any ideas when they'll drop the updates? Are the pants getting updated as well?
I got the new one in today. It says not until February but it shipped as soon as I ordered. Fits much better than the original. I tried both L and XL in the old and couldn’t find the right fit. Large in new version fits me great and isn’t super tight on the hips anymore.

TXCO

WKR
Thats good to hear. I returned all my first gen Dehav gear due to the crazy fit.