SG De Havilland/OR Ferossi/wind layer options

bigbuckdj

WKR
I’m getting a little deeper in understanding layering. I primarily bowhunt whitetails but I have to walk a long ways in the cold. I typically will walk in with a light merino blend layer, like a first light wick and I’ll wear Klamath over that. That actually keeps me pretty warm but it doesn’t buck the wind at all. I feel like if it did, I wouldn’t need a big jacket unless it was in the 20s.

I’d like to have something like a light wind layer to put on top if needed. I have a zillion gohunt points and I was looking at the OR ferrosi (last years model on sale). Or I was thinking of getting something with a touch of insulation like a jetstream(a little rich for my blood) or de havilland.

My questions are. Would a Klamath or other fleece and a ferrosi basically be the same as a jet stream? Is the dehavilland basically a non gore jetstream? Are these “wind resistant” layers crunchy? Does anybody have any other wind resistant quiet options(big plus if it’s at gohunt)?

I appreciate any advice or recommendations you have.

I do not know anything about rhe products you are thinking of buying, so take this with a grain of salt. My experience when “playing” with clothes in stores is the only windproof jacket i would bow hunt in is the sitka stratus.

Most if not all the lightweight jackets you are describing will have enough crunch to them that you wouldn’t want to wear them while bow hunting. I have heard the new jetstream is more quiet than the older one, but the older one is, for me at least, too loud for bow hunting. My minimal exposure to the dehaviland is similar but i have not been around one in the field, just store.

Sorry i cant help you more. The stratus jacket is a super awesome bow hunting jacket, my go to when in the trees.

Lowg08

WKR
I have a new Sitka jetstream. I bow hunt whitetail too. It’s allot quieter than the previous. It feels really close to the stratus. I wear a merino blend top also. If I was going to wear anything over it. It would be my flash pullover to buck the wind. It packs small yea it’s noisy but ultralight and works great. I will not sit to hunt in the flash pullover but for wind and packable I s a winner.

woods89

WKR
I can hike comfortably down into quite cold temps with a 100-150 weight baselayer and my windshirt, which is a Black Diamond Alpine Start. I don't think think I would wear it on stand bow hunting, though, unless I had a couple layers over it, as it does make some noise.

Long hikes with long sits at the end, along with the need for quiet clothes, makes public land bowhunting whitetails a bit of a tough nut to crack, at times.

Lastly @mtwarden is the wind layer guru around here.

OP
B

bigbuckdj

WKR
That’s all great feedback, I may pony up for the jetstream if its the best option. I just really like the Klamath and now the origin for how much warmth they provide for their size. I’m just looking for a wind stopper and a touch more warmth to throw on top in most scenarios. I was hoping to get away from carrying in a giant jacket and bibs everywhere I go.

I used to have the first lite sanctuary, it was good until I started halfway layering right and then it was waaay overkill. I went to the solitude it’s silent and fits well but it doesn’t buck the wind well, I might try the new wind membrane set. My dad has the fanatic set but it’s also overkill and every piece of little grass and briar gets hung in that face fabric.

I’m getting close to cracking the code but it seems like I’ll be packing in a chunk of layers no matter when it’s super cold. Maybe a jet stream or one of these wind layers would minimize the days I have to pack in the heavy set.

Last edited:

BDRam16

WKR
I have an OR Ferossi. It’s definitely light. I used it as my wind layer last year in Wyoming and it worked well. It doesn’t provide a ton or warmth on its own though.

OP
B

bigbuckdj

WKR
I have an OR Ferossi. It’s definitely light. I used it as my wind layer last year in Wyoming and it worked well. It doesn’t provide a ton or warmth on its own though.
Awesome, would you say the fabric is noisy?

OP
B

bigbuckdj

WKR
I mean it’s not as quiet as a fleece hoodie but I would hardly consider it noisy. Nothing like a rain jacket or anything like that.
Sounds good, I’m going to get it, it’s on sale and in my size. I just want a little more protection to delay having to pack in the bibs and coat. Thank you.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
I have had an OR foray jacket for a few years, and just bought another one. it's an under appreciated piece. it's light, doesn't take up too much space, has good abrasion and wind resistance, sheds light precip, its breathable, and can be had pretty dang cheap. it's completely different than a jetstream (check camofire on Saturdays, they've had the old model jetstream for about $210) which has a fleece liner and is 100% windproof. The Foray is great when you just need a little bit of help to combat the wind if it's cold out.

OP
B

bigbuckdj

WKR
It’s funny you mentioned that, goHUNT is out of the color I wanted in the ferrosi. I was looking at the foray 2 because it’s lighter and I’d think it’s better windproofing being goretex. I might do that, my rain gear is pretty old and sad.

I just got a foray2 for a wind and weather shell, it is definitely way louder than anything i would want to hunt inna treestand in tho. I am not sure if @chocolab is talking about a different piece, but the foray and foray2 are designed as rain shells. As such, they have some crinkle that even my son said is too loud for bow hunting. Just fyi

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a foray2 for a wind and weather shell, it is definitely way louder than anything i would want to hunt inna treestand in tho. I am not sure if @chocolab is talking about a different piece, but the foray and foray2 are designed as rain shells. As such, they have some crinkle that even my son said is too loud for bow hunting. Just fyi

Your right I screwed up.. The OP mentioned FEROSSI, which is what I was intending in my discussion above. You are correct, the OR Foray is a rainshell and altogether completely different. sorry for the confusion. move along. nothing to see here.

Bump79

WKR
The Ferrosi is a pretty breathable shell. It didn't quite find the balance for me. I picked up a camo Mountain Hardware Kor Preshell for cheap and I've been very satisfied with it so far. Quiet enough for whitetail but actually cuts the wind while still being able to breathe.

The Dehavliand is a nice jacket and will offer more warmth. For whitetail it would be a good choice as well since weight really isn't needed.

BDRam16

WKR
For what it’s worth I have the Ferossi and the Foray II. The Foray is definitely not a treestand piece unless it’s pouring out. Amazing rain jacket but very loud material if it’s calm out. I actually need to return my Foray pants because they are GIGANTIC and I need a smaller size.

OP
B

bigbuckdj

WKR
The Ferrosi is a pretty breathable shell. It didn't quite find the balance for me. I picked up a camo Mountain Hardware Kor Preshell for cheap and I've been very satisfied with it so far. Quiet enough for whitetail but actually cuts the wind while still being able to breathe.

The Dehavliand is a nice jacket and will offer more warmth. For whitetail it would be a good choice as well since weight really isn't needed.
Thanks! I’m gonna try it, I just found a camo kor hoodie in my size on eBay for $60. 5 ounces it says, and it looks like it would stuff down in my bottle pouch. My gohunt points live to fight another day. All this discussion about rain gear has me looking at the SG m5 or OR foray set. Thanks everyone for the input.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
For what it’s worth I have the Ferossi and the Foray II. The Foray is definitely not a treestand piece unless it’s pouring out. Amazing rain jacket but very loud material if it’s calm out. I actually need to return my Foray pants because they are GIGANTIC and I need a smaller size.
Man I just had a pair delivered. It's comical how large the Foray pants are cut. I'm going to try. Smaller size but I'm not positive the pants are gonna work. Jacket is great though.

Lowg08

WKR
Oh I I have the Foray II pants and plan on using them as rain pants over my down pants while bow hunting.

If its raining hard enough for rain pants, the noise shouldnt be too much a problem, and your legs don’t move as much as your upper when drawing and stuff.

But if you are planning on using the foray pants more as an outer for wind pro when not raining, they will be loud if it isnt raining.

BDRam16

WKR
Depending on your sizes the Foray II jacket and original pants are on clearance from OR in coyote