SG Grumman pants vs lighter ones..

Had a pair of Kuiu ultra pants that I liked, but sold them and got a pair of the SG grummans since the SGs have way more fill for only a small weight penalty (I think they are only 3oz heavier) so I figured warmer would be better.. But I find myself not wearing them as often so I'm contemplating going back to the lighter (less warm) ones..

With the Kuius, I could wear them under my pants - drop my pants, put them on, and pull my pants back up over them, which I feel makes them warmer than wearing them on the outside (maybe its just in my head), but I can't put the SG pants on under my outer layer because they are too puffy.

I also could've used a little more warmth in my sleeping bag one night last week, and my hunting partner wore his sitka kelvin lite pants and they worked great, but I couldn't wear my SG pants because they were too bulky and I would've been way too hot.

Am I crazy for wanting to get rid of warmer pants and get some lighter ones, or do other guys find the lighter ones more versatile and usable?

tdhanses

WKR
I only wear insulated pants when i’m not moving otherwise i dont feel the need and I get too hot. The FL are ok but not very durable, the kifaru are really warm and durable but heavier and i’ve thought of getting the SG but don’t like they don’t have side zippers.

So really only you can answer this as we all layer a tad different. For me a side zipper is a must to quickly put on and take off an insulated pant.

OP
cornfedkiller
i’ve thought of getting the SG but don’t like they don’t have side zippers.

They have side zippers.. actually 2 on each side so you can open the pants all the way up if you want.

And to be clear, I only wear them when I am stationary too.. walking with them would be way too hot!

tdhanses

WKR
They have side zippers.. actually 2 on each side so you can open the pants all the way up if you want.

And to be clear, I only wear them when I am stationary too.. walking with them would be way too hot!
Oh nice, guess i need to look closer at them, just from pics I saw they don’t look like it so i skipped them. My Grumman puffy is warm but quiet and plenty durable for a puffy, think i need to give the pants a go.

I was wondering because you put the Kuiu under your pants.

Last edited:
I’ve had a pair of Kuiu SD pants for several years now, but I decided that I wanted something a little more custom, so a couple years ago I ordered a pair of GooseFeet Gear pants, and I haven’t worn my Kuiu’s since. If you’re interested in making the move to something that is 100% custom and made in the USA, you won’t find a better puffy pant than GFG. I have two pairs now, one that’s UL and a pair that’s a little heavier for more extreme/colder conditions and they both have their place. Anyway, that’s my take on it, but if you’re interested in a pair of lightly used original medium, Kuiu SD pants, give me a shout, I may just have a screaming deal for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cornfedkiller
I was wondering because you put the Kuiu under your pants.

I've done that a couple times - that way I don't have to worry about snagging them on anything while I'm sitting, or in my turkey blind, its quieter that way. And like I mentioned, I think wearing them that way makes them warmer as well.

But around camp, I would likely do it that way too just so I don't snag the puffy pants on anything.

but if you’re interested in a pair of lightly used original medium, Kuiu SD pants, give me a shout, I may just have a screaming deal for you.

Unfortunately, that isnt my size.. but I appreciate the offer and in info!