SG new rain gear, M5, thoughts?

In the market for new rain gear this year. Thoughts on this? Will wait for some reviews to come in but curious how everyone thinks it will stack up with the already saturated rain gear market out their.

rm06

WKR
I bought a Stone Glacier Sky 5100 when it came out, I love that pack and use it for everything. While I don't own anything else SG other than some pack accessories, it has all been high quality kit.

My belief is that they thoroughly test and wouldn't be caught dead pedaling junk or otherwise unworthy field gear. Depends on the intended usage and price point as to whether it will work for you. More options in the higher-end market make for a better quality product and prices.

The specs on the new SG rain gear is impressive. It should be solid stuff, SG does excellent field testing on their products before putting their name on it.

The rain gear market is saturated? It's amusing that guys always say they hate the rain and they typically sit out a rain shower under a tarp or don't even hunt because they hate wearing rain gear because it's noisy and makes them sweat. Then pack around a $500 set of rain gear in the pack mostly unused, donning the jacket when they head out to drop a deuce and there is water dripping off the trees.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
The rain gear market is saturated? It's amusing that guys always say they hate the rain and they typically sit out a rain shower under a tarp or don't even hunt because they hate wearing rain gear because it's noisy and makes them sweat. Then pack around a $500 set of rain gear in the pack mostly unused, donning the jacket when they head out to drop a deuce and there is water dripping off the trees.
Not sure what point you are trying to make, I love stone glacier stuff, all my packs are SG. I have a lightweight set of FL rain gear, looking for a mid weight that’s a little more durable. I’m a fan of saturated markets, competition is always good, drives innovation and keeps prices realistic. Are you hating on folks that don’t use rain gear or do? Seems like both.... just asking for folks opinions on the specs vs what else is out there. I drop my deuces and hunt in the rain/sleet/snow, usually in rain gear....

Just going by the numbers, it appears to be in line/comparable with the Kuiu Chugach NX rain gear. The SG looks to be a fair amount more water proof, a fair amount less breathable, and about 1 oz. heavier, assuming both weights are for the medium size. I've been pretty happy with all my Kuiu rain gear, although I wouldn't mind something a little more waterproof yet is still breathable.

They mention quiet and soft face fabric but I don’t see anything about DWR.. Would need to know more to feel comfortable that the face fabric won’t become a sponge with mild precip and immediately impair the function of the WPB membrane.

AK,
The weights that SG lists are for size Large. I'm curious what the mediums weigh, since that's my size. I've been running the Sitka Dewpoint stuff for years and it's impressed me more than I expected. I am needing a new pair of pants though, so these SG's might be on the short list soon.

tdot

WKR
The most important part of a DWR fabric is the membrane. There are a bunch of companies that will rebrand their membranes under a clothing manufacturers label. This appears to be what Stone Glacier is doing and without knowing the membrane, the numbers dont mean much.

Toray and E-Vent are two manufacturers that come to mind that make amazing membranes that get rebranded. There are alot more garbage membranes out there and only a few decent ones.

I'm sitting here having a beer looking at the Arcteryx factory in North Vancouver. I went thru their facility with some friends a bunch of years ago. They were reps for several other gear brands. As buddies we all sat down and ran some tests on the different gear to see how they performed. It was interesting to see the advertised numbers and the numbers that came out of the testing we did there. Hint, it wasnt even close. Apparently those numbers should only be used to compare a manufacturer to itself, not to other manufacturers.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The most important part of a DWR fabric is the membrane. There are a bunch of companies that will rebrand their membranes under a clothing manufacturers label. This appears to be what Stone Glacier is doing and without knowing the membrane, the numbers dont mean much.

Toray and E-Vent are two manufacturers that come to mind that make amazing membranes that get rebranded. There are alot more garbage membranes out there and only a few decent ones.

I'm sitting here having a beer looking at the Arcteryx factory in North Vancouver. I went thru their facility with some friends a bunch of years ago. They were reps for several other gear brands. As buddies we all sat down and ran some tests on the different gear to see how they performed. It was interesting to see the advertised numbers and the numbers that came out of the testing we did there. Hint, it wasnt even close. Apparently those numbers should only be used to compare a manufacturer to itself, not to other manufacturers.

I keep hearing that E-Vent is a great fabric but the Jackets and boots I've used with E-Vent were garbage.

tdot

WKR
I keep hearing that E-Vent is a great fabric but the Jackets and boots I've used with E-Vent were garbage.

Do you have any boots with a membrane that are good? I really want to find one.

I sweat too much, membranes in my boot have all sucked. I had high hopes for Outdry (an Italian membrane which uses different laminating techniques), but Columbia bought the rights to North America and their kit doesnt work for my body shape.

I understand that eVent gets dirty very easily, from sweat/oils, I've only used it as an ultralight back up jacket, but buddies I trust have all had good luck with it. It's a bit like 2ply Goretex for that.

ljalberta

WKR
Some Scarpa boots sold in North America use Outdry and might be a worth a try.

I like the looks of both the jacket and pants. I could be enticed to pull the trigger.

Not sure what point you are trying to make, I love stone glacier stuff, all my packs are SG. I have a lightweight set of FL rain gear, looking for a mid weight that’s a little more durable. I’m a fan of saturated markets, competition is always good, drives innovation and keeps prices realistic. Are you hating on folks that don’t use rain gear or do? Seems like both.... just asking for folks opinions on the specs vs what else is out there. I drop my deuces and hunt in the rain/sleet/snow, usually in rain gear....
Just commenting that lots of folks won't even hunt in rain much less wear rain gear while hunting. They don't, even here in pnw. All that money on breathable stuff and they rarely wear it. Don't need breathable if not walking while wearing it. I don't think the market is saturated, there may be 5 or 6 pretty good options to pick from and the rest are mediocre.

duchntr

WKR
Yea not real impressed long term with the waterproofness of any event product I've used either, breathability seams good though. My experience is with some west comb pants and jacket fwiw.

In my opinion there is a fine line between breathability and waterproof ratings when finding the perfect shell, too much breathability you get a porous shell that doesn't block wind well let alone moisture during heavy use. Personally Id give up breathability for a higher waterproof rating.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Just commenting that lots of folks won't even hunt in rain much less wear rain gear while hunting. They don't, even here in pnw. All that money on breathable stuff and they rarely wear it. Don't need breathable if not walking while wearing it. I don't think the market is saturated, there may be 5 or 6 pretty good options to pick from and the rest are mediocre.

I hunt 2-3 weeks a year here in the PNW and man, if I didn't hunt in the rain that would be 2-3 days instead. (Currently running a Mt Hardwear jacket and the FL SEAK pants and need to upgrade the jacket. I like the SG guys a lot and hope to hear that this jacket is top-notch!)

I hunt 2-3 weeks a year here in the PNW and man, if I didn't hunt in the rain that would be 2-3 days instead. (Currently running a Mt Hardwear jacket and the FL SEAK pants and need to upgrade the jacket. I like the SG guys a lot and hope to hear that this jacket is top-notch!)
I hear ya there. I'm using kryptek koldo, and a couple sets of kuiu ultra nx, and kryptek poseiden pants. They are holding up pretty good after the second year.

Muppence

FNG
IMO rain gear is for sitting in the rain. If you are hiking in the rain you will get wet from either sweat or rain running down your neck. Being wet won't kill you but being cold will. Layer up and get a waterproof outer and you're golden.