SG Skyair vs Kifaru Sheep Tarp?

TXCO

WKR
Im looking for an quick popup or emergency shelter. I used to have a DST tarp but thought it was too big and bulky for what I needed. Anyone have experience to compare the skyair to a sheep tarp or other small tarp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got to compare the SG Skyair to my Supertarp. I’d probably compare the Skyair more closely to the Paratarp “size-wise”. What I didn’t like about the Skyair is the way the rear pole has to be set up. It would probably be easy with more practice, but height and spacing/placement of the rear pole was awkward for me. The split vestibule was designed for variable height and width setups and was actually pretty slick.

I can get my Supertarp pitched with the poles set and five stakes pinned in less than two minutes consistently. I see you were looking for something quick. If you’re in the Houston area or close - you can look at my Supertarp anytime.

If you’re leaning toward the SG Skyair then you will also want to check out the same version from the Company that makes the SG branded one:

https://www.slingfin.com/products/splitwing-ul-tarp

It’s the exact same shelter - just a different color and minus the SG logo. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
Thanks! Good info on the setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
The skyair is very similar to the Patrol Tarp, by Mountain Laurel Designs. Lots of people love that tarp.

I dont own either the Skyair or the Sheep tarp, so this is just my opinion. I looked at both extensively, as a backup/emergency shelter. I live/hunt in BC, so it is exclusively for getting stuck out after a long day of hunting, too far from camp to make it feasible to head back. So max 1 night....probably in poor weather. Because of the poor weather aspect, I decided I wanted something more then a flat tarp as I didnt want to also hike with a bivy. The flat tarps really dont work for me in rain/sleet/wind.

I'm currently looking at ultralight tarps that are more enclosed, closer to a tent. Skyair, Patrol Tarp, Yama Mountain Gear Cirriform, Seekoutside Silex. I'm also leaning towards DCF over Silnylon. If the Skyair was made in DCF, I would own it.

The flat tarps I'll keep more for day use for shade and maybe a passing rain shower or summertime backpacking. But not overnight, as I feel they need a bivy to be effective and for an emergency shelter. I dont want to have to carry both.

Again, this is just my opinion, based off other similar tarps and tents that I've used.

Kifaru Sheep tarp is awesome for sun protection or rain protection! Sweet piece of gear

Attachments

• 5EB19CC4-43E6-4894-B292-B8A6E670FC39.jpeg
    5EB19CC4-43E6-4894-B292-B8A6E670FC39.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 194