SG Skyscraper arrives Friday

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not that the SG tents themselves are in SlingFin's catalog, but their corresponding models from SlingFin. The SkyAir is the SplitFin, Skyscraper is the Crossbow 2. I don't think SG has released a version of the Portal from SlingFin yet though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
well then I stand corrected. I’m 100% over hilleberg tents, if I was to describe them in 3 words it would be small, heavy, wet. I listened to a podcast with them they even said you should bring a sponge to deal with condensation and wrap your rain jacket around the lower part of your sleeping bag to keep moisture off the bag.....you’d think for a thousand dollars you wouldn’t have to deal with that. Everybody I know with the SG loves them, if I get another tent, that SG is THE short list for me.
Which Hilleberg do you have? I've never had condensation issues in my Hilles any more than in any other tent. No tent on the market is condensation proof, any company that advertises otherwise is lying.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Which Hilleberg do you have? I've never had condensation issues in my Hilles any more than in any other tent. No tent on the market is condensation proof, any company that advertises otherwise is lying.

I have an allak 2, every hilleberg I’ve used which has been 3 or 4 at this point has been a condensation factory, far more than any other tents I’ve used. I won’t buy one again.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have an allak 2, every hilleberg I’ve used which has been 3 or 4 at this point has been a condensation factory, far more than any other tents I’ve used. I won’t buy one again.
Your environment is also far damper than mine. I think any tent is going to struggle with condensation up there

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Your environment is also far damper than mine. I think any tent is going to struggle with condensation up there

I agree but in my experience the hillebergs struggle more so than others. If I was camping in the winter the hilleberg would be ok. I thought the allak was going to be the ultimate freestanding tent but at over 7lbs and as cramped as it is I’m still looking for the next best thing. My next thought is to ditch the inner tent and just use it with the ground sheet.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I agree but in my experience the hillebergs struggle more so than others. If I was camping in the winter the hilleberg would be ok. I thought the allak was going to be the ultimate freestanding tent but at over 7lbs and as cramped as it is I’m still looking for the next best thing. My next thought is to ditch the inner tent and just use it with the ground sheet.
I think I'm gonna pick up a Scarp2 from TarpTent when they get them back in stock from updating it. Should be another week or so. With the pole kit it can be freestanding and still under 5lbs. Plenty of vents on it. I may run it early season floorless with a bivy for more room and to get it down to well under 3lbs.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think I'm gonna pick up a Scarp2 from TarpTent when they get them back in stock from updating it. Should be another week or so. With the pole kit it can be freestanding and still under 5lbs. Plenty of vents on it. I may run it early season floorless with a bivy for more room and to get it down to well under 3lbs.

that sounds pretty good, I’ve been looking at some of the DCF tarp and stove combos out there, I’m still on the fence though.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
IT ARRIVED!!!!
I'll be opening it up and putting it together this weekend.
Got my sons football camp and a game of golf tomorrow but I'm going to try to set it up with some videos and stuff!!! Haven't opened it beyond getting in the box!!!

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
So I ‘set it up’ at the house but it’s been raining the last two days so I haven’t gotten to stake it out.
I’ll try to take a video and more pictures when I set it up for real.IMG_4860.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
So this things pretty sweet. I set it up, figured out the guys and most of the things. This is my first tent Like this and setting it up Like this took me 10-12 minutes and then figuring out the guy lines was a bit longer. This comes with the ability to clip into the Webtruss to just leave as it is or to clip to the rainfly directly and run with out the Webtruss. That is an interesting idea but I’m definitely running with the truss and all clipped in. The next piece was the vent, I tried taking a video but apparently it is to long to post on here. It is an interesting drawstring hope with a mesh and boy layer and then the same drawstring style for the rain fly. It came with two sticks to help with the venting but can’t figure out how they work yet, but I’ll get there.
Material is surprisingly light and thin, made me nervous and wonder what I got myself into for my first Light Tent. I’m am heading to Anchorage this weekend and look to be doing a practice hike and camp with it. I’m excited, just need to pick up a piece of Tyvek or 4+mil drop cloth for a ground cover and she’ll be set for her maiden trip. Keep watching and I’ll try to figure out how to post the video. Might throw it up on YouTube as well.01C70C75-62DD-442C-B0CE-8A8D2A2C44F0.jpeg8E2F3C13-19B1-4EAE-A8F3-018065CC9A37.jpeg22E4CAFC-E2F3-4647-8888-BEDA6C46F19C.jpeg47382DE0-DDC8-44AD-AB4D-9E60E2CD749A.jpeg

sneaky

"DADDY"
You still haven't told us where it's made lol

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
13ab1f39e339ed1ae4f6c700a1d88431.jpg

Here is the answer from Stone Glacier on where the tent is made.

Schism

WKR
Schism, anything you want to know? I’m still new to these style tents but I can look and show you

Your video was pretty good at showing the interior space and the info about country of manufacture is also good to know. Do you feel you could easily set this tent up in the middle of a storm? A concern I have is the attached fly vs a one-piece setup.

I really like the space and weight of this tent but don't like that it's made in Vietnam and am skeptical about the attached rain fly.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Your video was pretty good at showing the interior space and the info about country of manufacture is also good to know. Do you feel you could easily set this tent up in the middle of a storm? A concern I have is the attached fly vs a one-piece setup.

I really like the space and weight of this tent but don't like that it's made in Vietnam and am skeptical about the attached rain fly.

With the ability to attach it at the corners and work the web truss attachment underneath I think it is totally doable in a storm pretty quick. I set it up minus guylines in less than 15 minutes and I wasn’t really familiar with it. The rainfly clips into attachment loops by the tent pole loops and stake loops. So you can set the corners then there is 2 per pole and one on each end of the cross support.
I think it won’t be to difficult, but it is LOGHT so hold on tight if it is ripping.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
It’s raining here tonight and I was out all day for a work Gold Tournament and then tonight was my anniversary dinner.
I want to try to set it up again tomorrow and I’ll take some more pics of the fly and another video if I can. Then this weekend I’m going to Anchorage, AK and it’s been crappy weather Down there and I plan on doing a test run with my gear set.