SG Skyscraper arrives Friday

KineKilla

WKR
I wonder how dry it would have stayed had you left it up in the rain all day. Watching for more updates, looks like a nice setup so far.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
I wonder how dry it would have stayed had you left it up in the rain all day. Watching for more updates, looks like a nice setup so far.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Yeah I thought about that Wednesday, which was my actual anniversary, but since we were trying to spend time together I just set it up and took it down quick.
It’s supposed to be wet and nasty in Anchorage so I’ll probably still get to test it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
I literally just ordered this tent today although I ordered it ultimately as my one person tent. While not really tall Im 6'2" and 265 lbs with wide shoulders so most 1 person tents are just ridiculously cramped for me. My ONLY concern is the thin floor that Im hearing about, but like you said I plan on carrying repair tape and buying a ground sheet of tyvek to use under it. Im excited to receive it in the mail

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
I literally just ordered this tent today although I ordered it ultimately as my one person tent. While not really tall Im 6'2" and 265 lbs with wide shoulders so most 1 person tents are just ridiculously cramped for me. My ONLY concern is the thin floor that Im hearing about, but like you said I plan on carrying repair tape and buying a ground sheet of tyvek to use under it. Im excited to receive it in the mail

It feels solid, thin but strong.
I was a little surprised initially but I will make sure I’m smart and do a little extra cleanup before pitching.

I’m also getting it as a one man even though my buddy who might be coming with me doesn’t have a tent so it could become a 2 man tent for this Sheep Hunt. Haha!

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Ive been staying in Anchorage the last 2 nights. Specifically one night in Indian, AK and one at the Eagle River Campground.

Tent has performed well, easy quick set up and the inside has been dry. The inside of the fly has been wet both nights, it rained pretty hard yesterday and there was a bit of vegetation under the fly and it got colder. I set up camp late so I didn’t clean up the site as well as I could have.

Tent is easy to use, I’m having to figure out how to get out with the cross support but it was easy to stake out and I’m excited to try to use it more for moose and possibly Caribou before Sheep Season hits.
I think with it being warmer I should probably have left the mesh part of the door more open and then I just need to figure out how to use the sticks that came for the vent on the rainfly.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Any updates after the season?
Thank you for calling me out!!! I have been wrapped up in other stuff and haven’t been as active on here. Somehow they blocked Rokslide on my work computer and I don’t have it on my phone.

spent 11 days of our 12 day hunt out. We got lucky for the most part and only had bad wind and rain for 2 days.
We were camped at the base at 2000’ with the mountains raising up to 5000-7000’ around. We made it 7 miles in the first night and camped right before dark, day 2 we made it an additional 6-7 and came to a creek we decided we couldn’t cross that night. As we were looking for a crossing the wind and rain really picked up. I set up the tent in about a 15 mph sustained wind with gusts up to 30. As the night progressed it rained harder and we ended up according to InReach weather with 20-30 mph sustained and gusts 50+. Rained for 32 hours straight except I woke up at 3am to a BRIGHT full moon, no rain and 70% overcast. Don’t know when the rain stopped and started but when next I woke it was raining again and all through the day. Left camp set up and decided since it was the first day to stay close to camp and try to stay dry.

the tent did great. My buddies MSR came out with several rips but the Stone Glacier was unscathed. I would have liked to have a couple more tent stakes and guy lines but we were fine. I moved camp a couple days later and though we felt with frost, light rain and some moisture we never got dumped on again. The tent withstood the wind and rain very well. I didn’t get the round vent in the fly, contacted SG and basically it is a fair weather vent. I only had one night where I had a lot of condensation inside the tent, probably due to me being wet, sleeping in my wet gear to dry it and not having the door vents opened most of the way. The tent was roomy and easily fit my buddy when he came over for dinner the night we were stuck in the tents.
I’m considering taking it out and doing a winter camp with it here this month or early next as I try to tag my second Caribou of the year. If I do it will be my first winter camping trip and I’ll let you guys know.

I will try to think up some more points on the tent but it survived 10 nights in sheep and bear country with no issues.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
@TXCO man unfortunately I didn't get out with it much. I did two Spring Black Bear trips - saw rain and some wind but nothing crazy. Camped up on an open ridge one night, camped in above the treeline against some shrubs another.
I did have to set it up in the dark - one of the hunts i got off work, went home, got gear in rig and drove 3.5 hours to where I wanted to hunt. It was pouring rain so I sat in my car until midnight when it stopped. Decided to start hiking that night to get myself a head start for the next day.
Unfortunately not the best idea. In Alaska at that time of the year we still get pretty dark and when down low hiking through the thick black spruce getting soaked because you weren't smart enough to hike in your rain gear it sucks pretty bad. So I finally relized I was being foolish, stumbling along with it getting harder and harder to see. So I forced myself to stop, set up the tent without my headlamp and it went up quick. Ripped out mypad and bag and passed out as the rain started again - and the mosquitos tried to get in. I will say make sure your doors are zipped shut all the way.... otherwise you'll have a few bugs that get through the gap.

I didn't get the opportunity this year to do the multi day Moose and Caribou hunts I had hoped and also had to cancel all my sheep plans. So I'm refocusing this year - I did buy the footprint this winter and plan to use it and just leave it connected to the tent to see if I like that better then the Dynema I had before. Sorry a pretty crappy update - not alot of time in the woods but with some changes at work and kids getting older I'm making plans to make some big changes in my plans and spend more time moving forward.

However,still a great tent. Easy to set up and has held up well. I do have one snag in the door mesh i'm not sure how I got there but that is certainly on me. I will try to update again as I can but so far still solid.

Noodlestheshaman

Lil-Rokslider
Why are you selling yours?
It seemed small (I’m 6’2 225) for 2 people and gear unless you REALLY know each other and I had a few problems with seams busting. Stone glacier was awesome about replacing anything but honestly it didn’t seem well made/could handle a real late season storm. I’m sure people have had good experiences with them but it wasn’t for me. I went with a larger 3 person hilleberg and the material seems like a HUGE improvement. I’ll take the weight penalty for peace of mind. Hope that helps!

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
@Noodlestheshaman crazy I haven't had any seams busting on mine. It is designed a bit smaller - but in comparison to my buddys MSR we could have had 3 people sitting up in my Skyscraper - his MSR we both couldn't sit up at the same time. I'm also 5' 9.75" and 220 when I was out.... need to get back there as I kinda let myself go this winter. But thats to beauty right - they make so many good tents because we all want/need something different.

If I didn't get the SG I was looking at the Kuiu and the Hilliberg - I think they are all great options. I have been happy with it and have plans to take my kids out for some hiking/scouting and possibly Spring Black Bear again this year. Then look towards August Sheep/Caribou and probably Moose. If I get the right situation I'm bringing my giant Kodiak Custom with heater for moose but if I have to go smaller/lighter the SG will be at it again. AK draws only yielded me a local moose but I'll get a general sheep and caribou.

@Noodlestheshaman crazy I haven't had any seams busting on mine. It is designed a bit smaller - but in comparison to my buddys MSR we could have had 3 people sitting up in my Skyscraper - his MSR we both couldn't sit up at the same time. I'm also 5' 9.75" and 220 when I was out.... need to get back there as I kinda let myself go this winter. But thats to beauty right - they make so many good tents because we all want/need something different.

If I didn't get the SG I was looking at the Kuiu and the Hilliberg - I think they are all great options. I have been happy with it and have plans to take my kids out for some hiking/scouting and possibly Spring Black Bear again this year. Then look towards August Sheep/Caribou and probably Moose. If I get the right situation I'm bringing my giant Kodiak Custom with heater for moose but if I have to go smaller/lighter the SG will be at it again. AK draws only yielded me a local moose but I'll get a general sheep and caribou.

I have 2 H/Bergs soon to be 3 and have never found them any more prone or less prone to condensation than any other tent. Aussie snow is notoriously damp, in fact our whole winter, particularly in the High Country where a lot of us hunt is just damp. Footprints help a lot here as does a bit of wind. If you vent properly you should be ok. Sometimes that means leaving some part of the tent a little open, as well as all vents. The stiller the night the more you have to do this. A UCO candle can help sometimes. However you will never totally eliminate it. I carry a Soulo for hunting, it might be heavier than most, but I'm happy for the security it affords me in some of the windiest places in OZ namely the high plains, winds can and often exceed 100kph up there and Hillies take it better than most. Really, I have never found condensation to be an issue. I am aware though that the Enan and Atko can suffer from it due to their size. Integral pitch is a godsend when it 's near dark and raining and you need to pitch I would love a super light Cuben fibre job that I could trust to do the same thing, but when I look at the super fine and thin fabrics either Cuben or other I'm just not willing to take the risk. I'll forgo something else to take the tent. That aside , I have friends who are crazy bush walker/hiker types that have been useing them for years and swear by them. Maybe I just need to find the right one to sway me.BTW , I hope you enjoy your new tent.

Last edited: