Sgt Mike's Wild Game Chili

gburk

WKR
Heard this on a @Randy Newberg episode one time and it really was better than my wife's recipe. Since I can never find it, figured I would post it here, i'm sure google can find this better than i can find my notes lol. I've made it a few times but have misplaced my notebook with precise measurements so I'm posting this with unspecified can sizes for now.

1 lb 80% ground meat, browned
1 diced onion, browned

1 tbs cumin
1 tbs+ chili powder to taste

2 cans of rotel "diced tomatoes with green chilis"
2 cans bushes baked chili beans
1 4oz green chilis
1 can refried beans

Credit Johnathan O'Dell via Randy Newberg

OP
gburk

gburk

WKR
What is a "Chili Bean" anyways - turns out that can be either a pinto bean, or kidney. Maybe a bit of seasoning added and Bush can relabel and charge more, not sure what's up with that. In the future will probably just try out the plain ol beans and rely on my own seasoning prowess.

Also, don't be silly - of course what i meant was, this recipe is better than my wife's when considering the high value of her time. :D

Dicing onions takes a fair amount of time and effort, and in reviewing the transcript John never actually uses that word. Thus I have reduced this to "chopped". Better to see the onions in the finished product, anyways.

Finally, I recorded some more size information on the batch i just made, reproduced below. My ground deer packages are more like 1.25-1.5 lbs.

Call this v1.1

1.25-1.5 lb 80% ground meat, browned
1 chopped onion, browned

1 tbs cumin
1 tbs+ chili powder

2 16oz cans of rotel "diced tomatoes with green chilis"
2 16oz cans bushes baked chili beans. Kidney (red) look better than Pinto, not sure about taste at this point.
1 10oz can refried beans

Brown the meat, then add onions and fry them too. Dump into Sauce Pan with other ingredients. Heat, stir, and eat.