SH Double Pin or Triple Stack?

JStol5

WKR
Anyone have experience with a fast Eddie double pin versus a triple stack? Choosing between these two for my next sight. Leaning towards the double pin for simplicity and a less cluttered sight picture. I wonder how functional the bottom pin really is on a triple stack with not being able to see over/under it well. Would love to hear thoughts.

My buddy had the double pin and couldn't get use to the vertical pin set up. He went back to the horizontal style slider. I can't remember which one he has now. I know people really like the fast Eddie's though. Just be aware there might be a mental challenge if you have only used horizontal pins before. I just put the Landslyde 3 pin on my bow and really like it so far.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
My buddy had the double pin and couldn't get use to the vertical pin set up. He went back to the horizontal style slider. I can't remember which one he has now. I know people really like the fast Eddie's though. Just be aware there might be a mental challenge if you have only used horizontal pins before. I just put the Landslyde 3 pin on my bow and really like it so far.
I use an HHA tetra single pin right now but like the idea of additional pins for an “oh-Sh!t” situation. If HHA made a double pin I would be all over it

4rcgoat

WKR
Can't speak for the triple stack,but I moved from a 5 pin fixed this year to a spot hogg double pin scope on an axcel slider and love it. Much better visually for me,the bottom pin gets me an additional 15 yards at 40,and about 10 at 60.

Gen273

WKR
I have the SH double pin, and I love it. I like the look of a vertical pin, and the double pin gives me an excellent option for taking a longer shot without adjusting the dial.

Last edited:

Yon181

FNG
I’ve shot a SH double-pin for the last few years. Love it for 3D and in the whitetail woods. No experience with the triple stack. I would probably opt for a regular 3-pin housing if I wanted more pins.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use an HHA tetra single pin right now but like the idea of additional pins for an “oh-Sh!t” situation. If HHA made a double pin I would be all over it

What do you keep your yardage set too and what’s your average shot distance?

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
What do you keep your yardage set too and what’s your average shot distance?
I usually keep my pin at 40 when I’m hunting spot and stalk, and whatever distance if I’m sitting in a blind. I’m comfortable out to 50 on an animal. I consider anything much further too risky

N2TRKYS

WKR
I usually keep my pin at 40 when I’m hunting spot and stalk, and whatever distance if I’m sitting in a blind. I’m comfortable out to 50 on an animal. I consider anything much further too risky

If your setup allows you to shoot 0-40, then I would think you should be able to get to 50 yards while still holding on a whitetail sized target. I use a single pin, as well, and keep mine set at 30 yards. That gets me from 0-40 and never have to hold off a deer. Anything over that, I’m gonna range anyway.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

GMann

FNG
I haven't used the double pin but I have the triple stack and I like it. I love the ability to have my 20, 30 and 40 pins set along with the slider...best of both world's for me. Some people complain about the weight of the trie stack but just like anything, you get used to it.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
I haven't used the double pin but I have the triple stack and I like it. I love the ability to have my 20, 30 and 40 pins set along with the slider...best of both world's for me. Some people complain about the weight of the trie stack but just like anything, you get used to it.

Do you find the bottom pin functional to shoot off? In terms of being able to aim off of it

GMann

FNG
Do you find the bottom pin functional to shoot off? In terms of being able to aim off of it
Yeah, seems to work fine for me. I think a lot of it comes down to what you like to look at through your housing. One thing of note, I have .010 pins. I like the smaller size, especially for the bottom pins when taking longer shots...covers up less of the target. I know some guys have ordered the sight custom with a .019 up top and.010 for the other two pins or some variation of that.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Yeah, seems to work fine for me. I think a lot of it comes down to what you like to look at through your housing. One thing of note, I have .010 pins. I like the smaller size, especially for the bottom pins when taking longer shots...covers up less of the target. I know some guys have ordered the sight custom with a .019 up top and.010 for the other two pins or some variation of that.

That would probably be ideal, .019, .010, .010... maybe I'll buy one on classifieds with all .010 here and swap out a pin from SH.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with the TS, but I opted for the double after a lot of thought. Coming from a single pin I wanted a second for a quick follow up shot or if the situation changed while hunting. I find myself using the second pin rarely while practicing, and I'm definitely shooting tighter groups with the top pin. The advantage of adjustable sliders is the precision for that first pin and consistent sight picture, so a second and third pin should just be auxilary IMO. Given the chance I would adjust my top pin over using my 2nd pin every time. I figure if the situation changes so radically while hunting that I would need the 3rd pin, I should let down and restart my shot process or not take it at all. I think the 3rd pin just adds unnecessary complexity, and I personally find the only scenario it makes sense for me is taking shots beyond 100 yards where my arrow won't clear my sight. My set up allows me to take shots up to 100 with the second pin, and I think that's plenty.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
No experience with the TS, but I opted for the double after a lot of thought. Coming from a single pin I wanted a second for a quick follow up shot or if the situation changed while hunting. I find myself using the second pin rarely while practicing, and I'm definitely shooting tighter groups with the top pin. The advantage of adjustable sliders is the precision for that first pin and consistent sight picture, so a second and third pin should just be auxilary IMO. Given the chance I would adjust my top pin over using my 2nd pin every time. I figure if the situation changes so radically while hunting that I would need the 3rd pin, I should let down and restart my shot process or not take it at all. I think the 3rd pin just adds unnecessary complexity, and I personally find the only scenario it makes sense for me is taking shots beyond 100 yards where my arrow won't clear my sight. My set up allows me to take shots up to 100 with the second pin, and I think that's plenty.
Good points- I feel like I would almost never, ever use the third pin unless just shooting for fun. If an animal moved as drastically as the gap would be (say 35 yards on the top pin to 55 on the bottom pin) I feel like I would let down and adjust my sight rather than trying to use the bottom pin. My concern has been the actual functionality of the third pin. I might get a dual trac too, but they're expensive and harder to find used than a triple stack.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
When I had a single pin I always found myself wishing I had a 2nd pin, "just in case". Using a double pin, I never find myself wanting a 3rd. Sighting in is so much easier with just 2. No experience with dual trac, but I don't ever see myself moving away from a 2 pin vertical post sight regardless. I prefer SH's wheel over my previous HHA flat post (didn't care for the empty space above and below marked yardage), and the quality is bomb proof.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
When I had a single pin I always found myself wishing I had a 2nd pin, "just in case". Using a double pin, I never find myself wanting a 3rd. Sighting in is so much easier with just 2. No experience with dual trac, but I don't ever see myself moving away from a 2 pin vertical post sight regardless. I prefer SH's wheel over my previous HHA flat post (didn't care for the empty space above and below marked yardage), and the quality is bomb proof.
I think you can take the third pin out of a triple stack too and the third indicator off and just run two pins... that would be interesting

N2TRKYS

WKR
I think you can take the third pin out of a triple stack too and the third indicator off and just run two pins... that would be interesting

I briefly had a triple stack and didn’t like it at all. I went back to my HHA sights and doubt I will ever venture away from them ever again.