Sh!tty Packs

Fatcamp

WKR
Cabela's Minimalist Pack

Stripped a bunch of crap off of it and it is actually usable now.

KIMG2438~2.JPG

mtnkid85

WKR
I wish I had pictures of some of our early pack outs. I remember packing a bull with my brother and his Eberlestock pack was way too small for him. It was hurting him so bad he took the loaded pack off and was carrying it in his arms like a child. lol Oh man was I ever laughing!

I packed my sheep out with an Arcteryx Boa. It carried weight great, you just had to bag it all and drop it in the main compartment.

Bluesky

FNG
The first pic is before a 5 day black bear/goat hunt in Juneau AK. All I had was a USMC ILBE pack that I got free from a few different hand-me-downs. That thing could load up whatever I wanted but never fit well and was never very comfortable. In the pic I had the ilbe filled up, strapped to that was a cheap light external frame that had my day pack strapped to it... my rifle was squeezed in the middle somewhere. It topped out at 86 lbs! Our first day we spent 8hrs climbing 2800ft in less than 2 miles. Straight up through devils club. Hardest hunting I've ever done.

Second pic is mostly a joke. We had to bike in a few miles cuz the road had washed out. My uncle in the back ground is laughing because secretly he knew that a (then) whippersnapper like me would und up packing his animal out plus half the camp...

I've since upgraded. Not to top tier yet. But I think my new eberlestock f1 with a dry bag and bat wings should treat me well for the foreseeable futureIMG-20170831-WA0008.jpgScreenshot_20200603-221851_WhatsApp.jpg

Sent from my SM-T295 using Tapatalk

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
My first time out hunting Mule deer a friend gave me a spot to check out and totally got lucky and shot a little forkie. My first pack was an Eberlestock X2 it was only a day hunt so minimal stuff in the pack and only about 1.5 - 2 miles from the truck, but that pack out sucked! Pack couldn't have weighed more than 40 lbs? Shoulders were burning and i took about a million breaks

My first elk, a raghorn bull, got an arrow a solid few miles from the truck. I stuffed the first load of meat as much as I could fit into a mountainsmith day pack and carried the head on my shoulders. The next two loads got paracord strapped to a mossyoak frame that I picked up somewhere cheap. It took 23 hours from the time the arrow hit him to the last load on the tailgate. I was smoked but very happy with myself.

I practically gave that frame to a guy on Craigslist and still use the mountainsmith for light duty day hikes.

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll have to hunt down the pictures but I’ve packed out a peninsula brown bear in an old 7000ci Coleman pack I bought to hike philmont in 2003. I’ve logged hundreds and hundreds of miles under that rig and the belt buckle is the only thing to ever let go.

Block

WKR
Packed out 1/2 a bear with a Badlands and never again please!! This post is lame.. be cheap and hurt ur back,, great idea...

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When we were teenagers, my brother and I helped a friend pack out an elk. I had an ALICE, and my brother had a 1970s external frame. We built a frame for our friend on site from lodgepole sticks, para cord, and 1” nylon webbing for shoulder straps with a sweatshirt for padding. No hip belt. He packed two loads with that thing.

MrGallop

FNG
No pics for me either but I tried packing out a decent sized bull with a Badlands Superday.....that pack is long gone now! It was easier to just throw the quarters over my shoulder and hike out.
I don't need everything "organized"-just need it to work

Packed out 1/2 a bear with a Badlands and never again please!! This post is lame.. be cheap and hurt ur back,, great idea...

I just did the same, non issue. To each their own, but even though I posted badland packs, they are far from being shitty.

Mustang06

FNG
My first ever issued large A.L.I.C.E. pack hauled some damn heavy loads in it's day. I upgraded it with belt and straps from Tactical Taylor and it was better.
I have since upgraded...😅IMG_0257.JPG

Ucsdryder

WKR
Last year my buddy had a Walmart special. It looked like a camo jansport. We were packing a cow elk down to the truck. I got there first and a while later he comes up, holding the hind quarter like he was cradling a baby with his backpack hanging off 1 shoulder like a tweenage girl. I asked him wtf he was doing. Apparently he fell and his backstraps snapped so he carried that quarter like a baby for a mile. He bought a kifaru. Haha

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my first year back west in 20 years, and the first time we were truck camped in AZ and I was able to take an ATV right to my bull.

Headed to CO this year and I am acquiring gear from scratch, so no new Kifaru or Stone Glacier for me. All I had was a Badlands SuperDay for whitetails around home. I wound up tracking down what I think is a decent fitting Dana Design pack that's about 30 years old. It's the green/teal and black. From what I've read they were considered top shelf back in the day and a version of that model still exists in the MR lineup. Hopefully I'll put it to the test in a few months.

Block

WKR
I just did the same, non issue. To each their own, but even though I posted badland packs, they are far from being shitty.

Don’t see how anyone could run a real pack for a season then go back to a badlands.. this is painful to even look at... #150 of bear on a badlands...

Attachments

• 897B3A6A-9377-4BF7-8F00-9D62A0B37D20.png
    897B3A6A-9377-4BF7-8F00-9D62A0B37D20.png
    971.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Don’t see how anyone could run a real pack for a season then go back to a badlands.. this is painful to even look at... #150 of bear on a badlands...

My point is one doesn't need a high end pack, nor boots, etc to hunt the West and it should not be a limiting factor. I've killed bighorn sheep in cotton, elk in timberland hikers, and have hung countless elk in trees from pillow sheets. The only thing a guy needs is some ambition, and the mind set to make it happen. Everything else is secondary.

TSimons9

FNG
Packed out all of my gear and half of my Coues deer and the head and hide in this badlands diablo. It was a great day pack but a terrible meat hauler. Also packed out half of 3 other deer on that trip in the same pack. This load was probably 50-60 pounds, luckily we were only 3/4 of a mile from the truck all downhill.

Attachments

• 05952DC0-9B68-4500-995E-A248B2DCDCD5.jpeg
    05952DC0-9B68-4500-995E-A248B2DCDCD5.jpeg
    591.2 KB · Views: 100

Block

WKR
My point is one doesn't need a high end pack, nor boots, etc to hunt the West and it should not be a limiting factor. I've killed bighorn sheep in cotton, elk in timberland hikers, and have hung countless elk in trees from pillow sheets. The only thing a guy needs is some ambition, and the mind set to make it happen. Everything else is secondary.

Yeah for sure.. but good gear will keep you hunting longer, harder, and more comfortable... Afterall this is a gear site... I don’t think I could have brought my camp and buck out in 1 trip with a badlands like I did with my Kifaru this year. Probably would have lost meat...