Shape Charge/44 mag combo

BBhuntr1

FNG
Wondering if anyone on here has used the Shape charge for whitetail/treestand hunting. I'm a Wisconsin public land guy, I hunt out of a saddle and bring 4-5 sticks with me on public land mostly. I used the MR pop up 28 last season and really liked the expandable "frame" for hauling sticks in but the pockets were frustrating and space was awkward. Looking at using a shape charge this year and then selling my kuiu gear to buy a frame and 44 mag for backpacking and western hunts. Wondering if anyone has thoughts. The only thing I see that I don't like is there doesn't appear to be a carry handle on top of the bag on the back side to hang the shape charge once in the tree....just curious on thoughts. Tired of swapping packs out every year so hoping this will be a good set up for what I hope to use the two for. Thanks for any responses-

Bcaulder

Lil-Rokslider
I think the Mag 22/Mag 44 might be a better combo.

I went with the popup 18 for the same reason you were dissatisfied with the 28. Bag in tree is important to me too and it has just enough space for me (also a saddle hunter).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrgreen

WKR
I just ordered the Antero. I looked at the Shape Charge but the Antero seemed better for tree stand use. I have a Cargo Panel on a 26" frame (and other Kifaru packs) that I've used to carry bulky gear to the tree, then leave it strapped to the tree near the base. I think I can attach the Antero to the Cargo Panel then separate them and carry the Antero up with me. I think the Antero will also be good for run-n-gun Turkey.

I know these aren't the packs you asked about, but it seems like a similar application.

OP
B

BBhuntr1

FNG
mrgreen and Bcaulder, greatly appreciate the thoughts. I'll defn consider both in this process...love this forum and hearing thoughts that other guys use. Thanks

hoff1ck

WKR
I'm in a similar situation. Hunt whitetails in MI extensively, with a once a year western trip. Have had a couple packs from other companies that set up well for the western stuff, but never loved them for daypack mode around home. Was in Denver this weekend, so I stopped in at Kifaru. Definitely blown away with the quality and how well those frames carry. Not to mention the knowledge of the employees in the shop. Looking for a do all pack, I settled on a tactical frame and the 44 mag. Was also considering the reckoning which I think could work well too. Both are pretty compact strapped down in a daypack mode. The 22 mag would be perfect for treestand hunting too IMO, but not quite big enough for a multi-day western hunt, so that's why I opted for the 44 mag. I think for what you're looking for, you'd likely be happy with either depending on what type of capacity you'd need.

OP
B

BBhuntr1

FNG
Thanks hoff1ck, wondering what made you go tactical. Also trying to decide what frame to go with so love to hear thoughts on that as well. I'm a bigger frame, ex-football and rugby player with a powerlifting background. Working on cutting down but taking the slow process.

ChrisAU

WKR
I bought a Shape Charge and returned it, no carry handle to hang in a tree, and I liked the zipperless top of the Hooligan for sound.

OP
B

BBhuntr1

FNG
Hey ChrisAU, that’s exactly what I was wondering about. I see the carry handles on the top but seem more front side...seems that would make it difficult to hang and then have access to main bag compartment.

Pezboat

WKR
I hunt public land in MN/WI and will be heading out west this year too. I’m going with the 22 Mag/Nomad combo. I’m going to try the 22 mag with 4 sticks, platform, and saddle. Seems like it will work perfectly for early season. Then switch to the Nomad for late season once I pack in the heavy clothes. I also have the tactical frame. There’s a few Kifaru videos out there that recommend the tactical frame if you’re carrying big/awkward loads like sticks and a treestand. But I have no doubt any frame would have worked. I’ll use the Nomad out west with a camp bag. Drop the camp bag, and you’ve got a prefect day pack.

hoff1ck

WKR
Thanks hoff1ck, wondering what made you go tactical. Also trying to decide what frame to go with so love to hear thoughts on that as well. I'm a bigger frame, ex-football and rugby player with a powerlifting background. Working on cutting down but taking the slow process.

Basically how they explained it to me is the tactical handles awkward, heavier loads better. He said they recommend the tactical to all the treestand guys because when you throw a stand and sticks in the meat self and really tighten the straps down to secure it, the tactical isn’t going to flex on the edges like the light would. Also has lots of tabs to add in extra straps to secure a stand directly to the frame, so that was a selling point for me as well. Aron Snyder has a good explanation about the frames on one of their YouTube videos. They essentially echoed what he said in that video.