Shape Charge or Stryker for saddle hunting

stump06

WKR
I had a shape charge last year and it worked great. I did pack out a deer with it, its doable but it you're hurting when you get to the truck. Sold it. Got the Stryker and bane this year. Plan was to drop the Stryker and take the bane up with me. Never hunted far enough back to really use the Stryker. Sold it. I use the bane with a Sherman and it is awesome. I put some Xray straps on it for comfort and a frame sheet. I have a cargo net and I buckle the bane to the frame if I may need to pack out. Thats just what works for me. I hated the Stryker in the tree, too much bulk which was mostly the frame.

I haven't missed my SC this year like I thought I would. I would highly recommend putting the Sherman on whatever you get. One of the best pieces of kit out there.

Last edited:

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
Some questions for you all as I am in the same boat.

Moving to saddle hunting this year from multiple ultralight hang on sets. Will most likely go with wild edge steps and the knaider/swaider set up.

Hunt in cold Ohio and sweat a ton so extra clothes to put on after the hike in are almost always needed. I hunt faaarrr from the road.

Looking hard at going to a full on frame pack from Kifaru, not so much the Stryker as I don’t think it has enough CI for bibs and parka, or even bibs, ultralight down and goretex shell.

I’m tired of deer carts and will be making the move to packing deer out as well.

Do you all really pack the frame pack into the tree with you? This sounds crazy to me, as I don’t even bring a backpack up now, I just leave it at the base, cover it if needed and use all my pockets.

Is the Cavern overkill? This is the pack I’m pretty set on getting as I can haul everything in and everything out including the deer in one trip. And I can use it out west. The more I looked at the Stryker the more I thought it was dumb. If your going to pack in a full on kifaru why limit yourself in CI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moving to saddle hunting this year from multiple ultralight hang on sets. Will most likely go with wild edge steps and the knaider/swaider set up.

Hunt in cold Ohio and sweat a ton so extra clothes to put on after the hike in are almost always needed. I hunt faaarrr from the road.

Looking hard at going to a full on frame pack from Kifaru, not so much the Stryker as I don’t think it has enough CI for bibs and parka, or even bibs, ultralight down and goretex shell.

I’m tired of deer carts and will be making the move to packing deer out as well.

Do you all really pack the frame pack into the tree with you? This sounds crazy to me, as I don’t even bring a backpack up now, I just leave it at the base, cover it if needed and use all my pockets.

Is the Cavern overkill? This is the pack I’m pretty set on getting as I can haul everything in and everything out including the deer in one trip. And I can use it out west. The more I looked at the Stryker the more I thought it was dumb. If your going to pack in a full on kifaru why limit yourself in CI?

Ive read ppl bring their external frames up the tree but have said to be overkill, or they will leave their framed packs at the bottom of the tree. I waas in the same boat, reason why i got the SC instead of buying a new pack to haul up the tree on a frame.

I am not planning on packing out deer with the SC, though. Mainly for my saddle stuff and bibs/jacket for colder weather in MN.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Are you solely climbing with one stick? Also, where are you attaching your platform. Is the shape charge able to pack out a deer if it came to it? Thanks for any insight you can add. I am really thinking on pulling the trigger on the SC for next season and would like to get your full opinion on this. Thanks!
Somewhere on here there is a thread that is somewhat about this. The guy had the stryker, decided he didnt like it so he got the shape charge and attached it to his frame.

Found it:

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
I had a shape charge last year and it worked great. I did pack out a deer with it, its doable but it you're hurting when you get to the truck. Sold it. Got the Stryker and bane this year. Plan was to drop the Stryker and take the bane up with me. Never hunted far enough back to really use the Stryker. Sold it. I use the bane with a Sherman and it is awesome. I put some Xray straps on it for comfort and a frame sheet. I have a cargo net and I buckle the bane to the frame if I may need to pack out. Thats just what works for me. I hated the Stryker in the tree, too much bulk which was mostly the frame.

I haven't missed my SC this year like I thought I would. I would highly recommend putting the Sherman on whatever you get. One of the best pieces of kit out there.
Would you go with the sherman over the Bane? I was thinking of adding the Bane to my Stryker. Figured last approach pack, but can also bring into the tree.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR

They just came out with a stryker XL something to look into. That with a Bane that you could bring up the tree seems like a great setup. I have the Stryker and love it for camping trips as I can pack everything in, but once I brought it up into the tree it was to much. I would look at the XL so you can fit more with the Bane attached.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Thanks all for everyone's input. I pulled the trigger on a shape charge and am gonna give it a go as part of my saddle hunting setup.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
@BKhunter If you got the shape charge I would definitely get the Sherman. That pouch is awesome
Do you happen to have a photo of your setup? I was thinking Bane to add to my stryker, but I think that is to much for the SC. WIth the SC I was trying to be as lightweight as I can so adding pockets seems like it would be counterintuitive. Just curious how your using it. I can always be persuaded to buy more Kifaru gear :)

rcb2000

WKR

What you’re describing is exactly what I did this year.
I’d recommend getting a Grab-it. I would stuff all my clothes and gear in my pack, and walk in with my Wild edge steps against the pack in the Grab it.

Another recommendation would be to get some dump pouches from Eastern Woods to attach to your belt, very handy for stuffing knaider/swaider and whatever else.

The other adjustment you’ll need to make is how to hang your pack, I ended up with a Tethrd hys strap and am very happy with it.

My saddle setup is 4 helium 20" sticks with a couple aiders, a predator platform, HYS strap, doyles weapon hoist, and usually a separate bow holder. I could probably get by with a shape charge for this in early season but once packing in the FL Sanctuary Bibs/parka I'd greatly prefer something like the stryker with a full frame pack.

I personally just use a Seek Outside Revo frame with merlin day pack and sandwich most of my gear between the frame and merlin.

MightyMatt

Lil-Rokslider
Are you solely climbing with one stick? Also, where are you attaching your platform. Is the shape charge able to pack out a deer if it came to it? Thanks for any insight you can add. I am really thinking on pulling the trigger on the SC for next season and would like to get your full opinion on this. Thanks!
I packed 4 different mule deer out last fall. I used my shape charge for the first one. It wasn't horrible but the next 3 I used my stryker with a duplex lite 24" frame. Way nicer with the frame. The stryker is ideal for stand and sticks also. I was trying to rig up a way to use the Stryker without the frame for stand/saddle hunting in Michigan where I won't be packing out meat but still don't have that figured out yet.

WRM

WKR
I just use my Exo pack. I portion my "in the tree" gear out into separate carry bags and carabiner them to a daisy chain "bandolier". Once in tree, I just transition that to hang down from my tree strap. Exo goes in a contractor bag and stays on the ground. Have had deer walk right by it.