Shape Charge or Stryker for saddle hunting

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

I joined the saddle groupies this year and have to say I really enjoy it. My first trip in I used my stryker to carry in my sticks and gear but thing it is a little overkill with the frame and all. Do you all think I should stick with that setup and maybe add a Bane to it and only bring the Bane up into the tree or should I pull the trigger on a shape charge and use that as my dedicated white tail pack? Anyone use either of these setups to carry their sticks in and care to share pics? Thanks in advance!

BK

I know its a little different, but there is a thread about the Shape Charge and 357 Mag for treestand hunting and stick carrying. I also drank the saddle kool-aid and looking for a new pack. I was looking at the Stryker honestly since i already have a frame haha. Was it bulky getting up the tree?

Hey All,

I joined the saddle groupies this year and have to say I really enjoy it. My first trip in I used my stryker to carry in my sticks and gear but thing it is a little overkill with the frame and all. Do you all think I should stick with that setup and maybe add a Bane to it and only bring the Bane up into the tree or should I pull the trigger on a shape charge and use that as my dedicated white tail pack? Anyone use either of these setups to carry their sticks in and care to share pics? Thanks in advance!

BK

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
I know its a little different, but there is a thread about the Shape Charge and 357 Mag for treestand hunting and stick carrying. I also drank the saddle kool-aid and looking for a new pack. I was looking at the Stryker honestly since i already have a frame haha. Was it bulky getting up the tree?
Yea I found it to honestly be a little to much since I have the heavy duty frame. It was great for lugging in my climber but same deal, once I went up the tree and had it hanging next to me it was a lot with the bulky hip straps. The shape charge seems ideal but curious how people have it set up with sticks and a platform. I went with the tethrd Phantom which is awesome but still need to hone in my pack and how I bring gear in.

I also have the Phantom and looking at options for packs and thought i could use the Stryker and frame but now you got me second guessing haha

wesfromky

WKR
I used a stryker this year with my saddle setup - worked great, but I left the pack at the base of the tree and only brought a sherman w/ a shoulder strap up the tree with me. Works really well if you need to pack out a deer.

For the areas that I hunt that I do not need to pack a deer out, I am kinda thinking about going with a Kifaru lumber pack with the predator pack attached for the platform, and maybe the sticks.

Last edited:
I already have a 24" duplex lite frame and would ideally like to buy another pack for it but im not sure now haha.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
I also have the Phantom and looking at options for packs and thought i could use the Stryker and frame but now you got me second guessing haha
It is great if you need to pack out a deer but for spots where you can drag a deer to a trail/road I think it's a bit much. Part of me may be just tricking myself into buying more kifaru gear butttttttt I don think I lighter pack would be best suited here especially since I am trying to be mobile and cut weight. Just not sure if I could pack out a deer with the shape charge if I really needed to or how to attach sticks to it.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
I already have a 24" duplex lite frame and would ideally like to buy another pack for it but im not sure now haha.
The lite frame may be fine I have the heavy duty one so maybe that was it. I rather buy another pack instead of another frame unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Ajvandenbosch8

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Stryker and then got the shape charge for the same reason. Now the SC is my favorite
3a062e5dd4d0d5fc871721649c848f1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
I have the Stryker and then got the shape charge for the same reason. Now the SC is my favorite

Are you solely climbing with one stick? Also, where are you attaching your platform. Is the shape charge able to pack out a deer if it came to it? Thanks for any insight you can add. I am really thinking on pulling the trigger on the SC for next season and would like to get your full opinion on this. Thanks!

fatlander

WKR
Any duplex frame, whether it’s the tactical or the lite (I’ve had both) is too much in the tree. Shape charge w/ a Sherman all the way. Put your platform between the Sherman the SC. Secure your climbing sticks over top of the Sherman with two compression straps.

Ajvandenbosch8

Lil-Rokslider
@fatlander yes I one stick climb and repel down so your looking at the whole operation right there lol. That’s my stick and platform for down and dirty run n gun hunts paired
308c3e29748aec2a46bd68254d108a87.jpg

with a couple squirell steps. The stick has a scout on top. When I bring a platform it either fits inside or I strap it to the front under the stick, or run my sherman. The Sc Can def pack out the occasional deer if needed. I keep the Stryker in my truck so I’ve not packed any with the SC but I have no doubt it would handle it fine.
6c9afc01306dcb6e22e278a445c53fbf.jpg

1a6a618957ee82a1f1a840435a6c7bbb.jpg

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
@fatlander yes I one stick climb and repel down so your looking at the whole operation right there lol. That’s my stick and platform for down and dirty run n gun hunts paired
308c3e29748aec2a46bd68254d108a87.jpg

with a couple squirell steps. The stick has a scout on top. When I bring a platform it either fits inside or I strap it to the front under the stick, or run my sherman. The Sc Can def pack out the occasional deer if needed. I keep the Stryker in my truck so I’ve not packed any with the SC but I have no doubt it would handle it fine.
6c9afc01306dcb6e22e278a445c53fbf.jpg

1a6a618957ee82a1f1a840435a6c7bbb.jpg

You sir are dialed in!

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Any duplex frame, whether it’s the tactical or the lite (I’ve had both) is too much in the tree. Shape charge w/ a Sherman all the way. Put your platform between the Sherman the SC. Secure your climbing sticks over top of the Sherman with two compression straps.

This makes a lot of sense. Did you get the SC with or without the belt? I'm leaning towards with the belt. Any chance you have a photo with the Sherman all set up on the SC?

Same. I use the frame and stryker if I need to pack the deer out. Otherwise, I use the SC pretty much exclusively. I also have the Eberlestock X2 and that works well if I am packing a platform in or have my self filming gear.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

alabamahunt

Lil-Rokslider
Yup I was in the same boat as you. Had the frame so thought I just had to have the Stryker. Bought it and put my novix hang on stand in it the other day and it and it stuck out so freaking high I realized then it would be a no go. I wish I had bought the Shape Charge. The Stryker and frame is just too much in the tree for me. Molle belt and straps with the shape charge just hung on the back will be the way to go I believe.
alright im sold on the SC.