Shape of pack

snowplow

WKR
I've been kicking around the idea of sewing up my own pack for a while now. I've always had kifaru for the most part. And they have always been barrel-shaped. I was just wondering if there was any inherent advantage to a barrel shape versus a more boxy shape?

One of my favorite things about my AMR is that it just folds flat to the frame. But I was thinking it actually might fold up a little nicer without bunching if it was more of a boxy type shape. It seems to me a more boxy shape would be easier to lay out, sew, and figure out finish size.

So again, is there any reason I really want to stick with the barrel shape? Or, should I go more boxy?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
If we look at the things we put in our pack and how we put it in, it might help you decide. If you are someone who takes a sleeping bag, tent, clothes, and just shoves it all in the backpack, shape probably doesn't matter.

If, however, you're someone who puts those items in a stuff sack then puts them in the backpack, a curved bag would make more sense. Everything in a stuff sack is curved. If the box corners don't stretch at all, there may be some unusable/unused space.

AKSandman

FNG
@snowplow, boxy packs are easier to sew, rounded packs are easier to use in the field. I have sewn a half dozen packs or so and from my experience I would say shooting for halfway between boxy and barrel gives you a nice balance of ease of design and efficiency of pack use.