Shapecharge-dumb questions incoming

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Background-Im a whitetail hunter in Texas and have never been out west but want to go REALLY BAD. Everything I have been able to hunt here was within dragging distance to vehicle access so go easy on me.
I've got the hots for a shape charge for my saddle hunting setup, have a tethrd fas pack and want a bit more space and possibly waist belt. Next year I am going to start putting in for some western hunts that I doubt I will be able to drag anything to the truck if I get so lucky. Which leads me to my question, how are you packing meat in a shape charge? Just in the main pocket? If so, what do you do with your stuff that's in the bag? Running it with a frame and hauling that way? Didn't think it had a shelf.

Thanks
Preston

I have a shape change with a Sherman. What do you plan to hunt out west?
I packed out all quarters of an antelope in it. Trash compactor bag for the main part and used a game bag for a rear quarter to put it between the main bag and Sherman pocket. I'm from the Midwest and just practiced on whitetail to see what it would fit. A large mule deer probably would need cordage to make it work and not be the most comfortable pack.

Elk you would need a buddy with a pack and might get two quarters (front and rear possibly)

Hands down the shape charge is an awesome whitetail pack.

I have 3 packs for different jobs. E&E, shape charge with Sherman, and sky 5900. So I change based on the job.

IMG_6749.jpegIMG_2625.jpeg

I packed out two front mule deer quarters in a shapecharge in the fall of 2022. It's doable, but not very comfortable. I use the Kifaru frame and Stryker XL now. I've packed out 5 animals this fall with that setup and have been much more comfortable.

Mitten32

WKR
I think the 357 mag better suits your needs. Packing out anything with a shape charge is going to suck ass. That’s not what it’s made for. There’s zero suspension or lumbar support.

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I have a shape change with a Sherman. What do you plan to hunt out west?
I packed out all quarters of an antelope in it. Trash compactor bag for the main part and used a game bag for a rear quarter to put it between the main bag and Sherman pocket. I'm from the Midwest and just practiced on whitetail to see what it would fit. A large mule deer probably would need cordage to make it work and not be the most comfortable pack.

Elk you would need a buddy with a pack and might get two quarters (front and rear possibly)

Hands down the shape charge is an awesome whitetail pack.

I have 3 packs for different jobs. E&E, shape charge with Sherman, and sky 5900. So I change based on the job.

View attachment 638954View attachment 638955
Thinking of trying to dip my toes into mule deer likely. Maybe elk idk. My luck, I’d get a few miles back and kill a monster bull and not have a good way to haul it out.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the hots for a SC for whitetail hunting also. But as far as western hunts and packing out quarters, there are far better packs out there. If you want a day pack, the mystery ranch sawtooth or pintler are external frame packs with load shelves. You also have Kifaru, exo and other companies to choose from. But I’d be looking for a load shelf to pack quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the hots for a SC for whitetail hunting also. But as far as western hunts and packing out quarters, there are far better packs out there. If you want a day pack, the mystery ranch sawtooth or pintler are external frame packs with load shelves. You also have Kifaru, exo and other companies to choose from. But I’d be looking for a load shelf to pack quarters.

I have a MR pop up 38 that would probably be better for that but was thinking about getting rid of it and my tetherd pack to get a kifaru that would fit better in both situations.

TaperPin

WKR
2,000 cubic inches is really small.

I‘ve seen two strong guys from Oregon drag a little 3 point Wyoming buck about 5 miles back to the trailhead. I met them up on the hill about 10:00, and they made it back to the trailhead about 7:00 - a little faster than 1/2 mile per hour. I’ve never seen a deer missing so much hair, or two guys so worn out. Lmao

I could see these guys had no gear or experience to bone out the deer, and their packs were not built to pack anything unboned, so I offered to show them and give a few game bags to the effort, but they declined. Lol

Mystery Ranch Metcalf, or something by your preferred maker in the same size range.

Ive been wilderness backpack hunting in the west for 30 years. Every rucksac type day pack I’ve tried has been very uncomfortable (meaning painful) with loads heavier than 25 lbs. So I no longer subscribe to carrying a “day pack” because most of them are not great for packing out meat.

A mid to med large size pack will cinch down into a day pack and expand to carry a 2-3 day bivy and your meat. For about the same money as a shape charge you can get a mystery ranch metcalf. It will carry 60 lbs so comfy you won’t even notice it. I packed half an un-boned muley buck …. ham, shoulder, bacstrap, and loin about four miles In my metcalf. That’s about 32 lbs of meat plus my day gear at about 30 lbs.plus the pack. So about 68 lbs. I felt the weight in my legs and muscles cuz I’m old, but the pack didn’t hurt. Also a pretty bomb proof unit.

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Mystery Ranch Metcalf, or something by your preferred maker in the same size range.

Ive been wilderness backpack hunting in the west for 30 years. Every rucksac type day pack I’ve tried has been very uncomfortable (meaning painful) with loads heavier than 25 lbs. So I no longer subscribe to carrying a “day pack” because most of them are not great for packing out meat.

A mid to med large size pack will cinch down into a day pack and expand to carry a 2-3 day bivy and your meat. For about the same money as a shape charge you can get a mystery ranch metcalf. It will carry 60 lbs so comfy you won’t even notice it. I packed half an un-boned muley buck …. ham, shoulder, bacstrap, and loin about four miles In my metcalf. That’s about 32 lbs of meat plus my day gear at about 30 lbs.plus the pack. So about 68 lbs. I felt the weight in my legs and muscles cuz I’m old, but the pack didn’t hurt. Also a pretty bomb proof unit.
My saddle hunting setup is about 25-30 pounds and a tethrd fas pack (internal sheet with no waist belt). Much over half a mile and it gets rough, especially because my platform and sticks are on the very back...Definitely thinking about holding on to my pop up 38 now.

My saddle hunting setup is about 25-30 pounds and a tethrd fas pack (internal sheet with no waist belt). Much over half a mile and it gets rough, especially because my platform and sticks are on the very back...Definitely thinking about holding on to my pop up 38 now.
I need an actual pack for my cold-weather layers, not my current saddle system lol!

fatlander

WKR
I didn't realize the SC could carry such large loads.

Just because it can, doesn’t mean it’s going to be comfortable. I wouldn’t want to carry anymore than 35 pounds in my shapecharge.

No way I’d try to pack an elk quarter in it.

rcb2000

WKR
I think the 357 mag better suits your needs. Packing out anything with a shape charge is going to suck ass. That’s not what it’s made for. There’s zero suspension or lumbar support.
THIS
I have a Shapecharge specifically for saddle hunting for whitetails. I drag my deer out on a Jet Sled, as my pack/sticks/stand/binos/water/jacket/etc all weighs about 20-30# depending on the season, and would not have room for packing meat, even with a grab-it or Sherman pocket,, just my experience.

For packing meat more than a mile, I would get a full frame pack.

rcb2000

WKR
Now, you can attach a Shapecharge to a Seek frame and pack meat in between,, not sure if you could with a Kifaru frame?

IMG_7165.jpeg