Share your “Buy once cried once” lesson

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Saw a topic about spotters and I started thinking about gear I wish I would’ve spent good money on in the first place.

My #1 is that I should’ve started with a custom action. I started building on a rem 700 AAC 308, then traded it off in the end at a significant loss. I now have a few purpose built rifles that initially cost more, but will maintain their value (though they’ll probably never be sold).

My #2 is a heavy stainless 556 suppressor. My first NFA buy I was trying to save money and went cheap. Dumb thing to do on a lifetime purchase.

Though these are expensive life lessons, I would’ve saved $ in the long run.

So what’s your biggest woulda shoulda coulda?

packs. wasted a lot of money of eberlestock, alpz outdoorz, kuiu etc. they all feel great until that first heavy pack out out of a hole. Wish at the starft i just bought a stone glacier and kifaru, loaded them up with weight walked around and returned the one that didn't fit as well.

Wvroach

WKR
Basically all my gear, started out with low end stuff from my camp gear, rifles, glass etc.. then went medium low, medium tier, medium high and now higher end stuff.. now I'm stuck with masses of guns and gear that never get use other than paperweights in the safes..

Even now that I have nice stuff as far as my guns go with the exception of one LWRC AR which I thinks gonna take the colts duty rifle spot if we can go another class or 2 with no stoppages, I use all my older stuff like my tikkas more than I do the nicer stuff.

Gear is nice but in the end it's the Indian not the arrow and I did just fine with a old beat to hell model 70 from my grandad with a tasco scope from the 70s or 80s that made many animals just as dead as my customs.

My dad still uses a old Remington jammaster in 3006 he has had since he was a kid and I've seen more animals taken with that rifle than anything else.

Use what you have that allows you to go do what you love and upgrade when funds allow. I see a lot of my classes people geared to the teeth and thinking that will put them ahead.

Gear moves hills practice and training move mountains.

OP
Goatie

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex Diamondbacks - Vortex Vipers - Meopta Meostar - Swarovski SLC.

Didn’t lose much through it all but you get the gist.
in a similar bino trip as you, but replace the meostars with razors. I’m about one more vortex warranty claim away from buying swaros.

Vids

WKR
Boots and packs. While scouting on my mountain goat hunt I got caught in a talus field in a pair of Merrells for F's sake. Almost broke both ankles. Got off the mountain, headed straight to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. Eight years and one re-sole job later and they are still going strong, love those things. Messed with a couple of lower end packs, tried a Kifaru and wasn't crazy about it, ended up with a first gen Exo bought secondhand off here and it's still going strong.

I'm not too far from spending some serious coin on binos, the Nikon Monarchs have been okay but I wouldn't mind having a really nice pair.

OverlandOnTheFly

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have any glaring examples. I was brought up to hold out for quality. Like this fall, I wanted a new climber tree stand. Like an idiot I waited til the middle of the season to try and order one from Lone Wolf, (bomber product, made in USA) but they were back ordered 2 weeks, plus four or five days of ship time. Now I could have got an Amazon primed Chinese made one cheaper in a few days, and it was hard not to. I held out and so glad I did, I ended up only being able to use it a few times, but my kid’s kids will be able to use that thing.
Amazon has giving a lot of good stuff that if I could source it locally I would be driving well over an hour to get based on where I live geographically. On the flip side I have accumulated way to much junk just because I could buy it and have it in two days. It irks to walk around the house and see all this stuff from oversees cluttering up my life.
Right now I am on a made in America kick and not going to preach why. It’s also not obtainable to be completely strict. Just try and think about where your stuff comes from, who made it, what’s involved to get it to you, and how long it will last.

top 3 most recent
Kifaru > Wheat Ridge CO
Lone Wolf > Edwards IL
Elite Bows > West Henrietta NY

Spoonman

WKR
Boots and binos. Tried Crispi for a few years to only have soaking wet uncomfortable feet. Switched to Scarpa and never looking back! With binos I ran the vortex vipers for a long time, never any issues just optical quality was lacking. I now own Swaro NL!!!

ChrisA

WKR
Did a lot of crying after joining this site but I'm glad because it's saved me money in the long run.

Let's see, where to start? Lathrop and Sons, exo, First Lite, Sitka, MSR, SO Cimarron, Minox (couldn't swing swaro), Kelbley Atlas...

The biggest cry once was putting together a precision rifle with Surgeon 591, Brux, McMillan A5, Seekins rings, and a Vortex 4.5-27 Razor HD GenII, 500 pieces Lapua brass, jugs of H4350 and Varget, and 1500 Bergers. Wife still doesn't know what that cost.

Chris

OP
Goatie

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Did a lot of crying after joining this site but I'm glad because it's saved me money in the long run.

Let's see, where to start? Lathrop and Sons, exo, First Lite, Sitka, MSR, SO Cimarron, Minox (couldn't swing swaro), Kelbley Atlas...

The biggest cry once was putting together a precision rifle with Surgeon 591, Brux, McMillan A5, Seekins rings, and a Vortex 4.5-27 Razor HD GenII, 500 pieces Lapua brass, jugs of H4350 and Varget, and 1500 Bergers. Wife still doesn't know what that cost.

Chris
And she never will as long as you share some of that varget and primers I know you conveniently forgot to mention lol