Share your "Hunting Items I've overspent on with no advantage"

williaada

WKR
Other than waders which I also use for hunting and pack rafting, I can honestly say that I have never purchased “fishing clothes”.
I should clarify fishing clothes are bibs and jacket for ice fishing. The under garments are interchangeable.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I should clarify fishing clothes are bibs and jacket for ice fishing. The under garments are interchangeable.

Speaking of ice fishing, have you ever tried a k-drill auger? Seems like just the ticket for taking my snow mobile out ice fishing.

Broomd

WKR
GREAT THREAD.

Good lord the $ that is spent on un-necessary sh t is simply staggering.

And....re. rain gear: Wife and I are still wearing our Marmot precip we started wearing 20 years ago (!) with our yearly Dall sheep/Kodiak deer hunts, etc.
It's all still in great shape and keep us dry just fine. Cost? About $50/per back then on sale!

IdahoElk

WKR
Ive been thinking about getting a nice down puffy and I saw Kuiu's new one. Turns out its 800 bucks. No f'n way. I'll just go with rab or some mountaineering company.
Get the K
Yep WM makes a comparable coat for about 200 cheaper. Another pro - its made in the USA.

Feathered Friends also makes one.

If you don't need a parka and just a regular puffy both make those that are about the same price as the Kuiu coats. Again, all made in the USA. Ive had good luck with my SG Grumman, but if I had to do it over again I'd go with a made in USA coat for about the same cost.
What Kuiu down jacket are you talking about? Ultra , Pro or super down burner? What WM jacket?

npm352

WKR
Anything from Sitka Gear that is not actual clothing. Their "gear" (gaiters, backpacks, etc.) is crap. Their clothes are excellent IMO and last a long time with hard use. They need to stick to what they are good at.

williaada

WKR
Speaking of ice fishing, have you ever tried a k-drill auger? Seems like just the ticket for taking my snow mobile out ice fishing.
The K-Drill or the Nihls are the way to go. I personally like the nihls have used it for 4 years without sharpening it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The K-Drill or the Nihls are the way to go. I personally like the nihls have used it for 4 years without sharpening it.

Right on, I havnt seen a nihls but just a few minutes ago I finally found a place that would ship a k-drill to AK so I ordered it.

williaada

WKR
Right on, I havnt seen a nihls but just a few minutes ago I finally found a place that would ship a k-drill to AK so I ordered it.
Depending on where in AK you live I could ship one to you. I can get about 60 hole per battery on my full size Milwaukee cordless drill 6”-10” of ice no problem.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Depending on where in AK you live I could ship one to you. I can get about 60 hole per battery on my full size Milwaukee cordless drill 6”-10” of ice no problem.

I really appreciate the offer, I got one ordered though along with a milaukee driver so I’ll be set. Seemed like they were sold out on most websites and a few places let me place an order then cancelled the order.

Thanks again though for the offer.

marktole

WKR
Lol. Literally every single piece of gear I have. Bows. Arrows. Broadheads. Rifles. Clothes. Gear. Optics. Tents. Sleeping bags. You get it. All of it could be replaced with a significantly cheaper alternative and the end result would be the same.

But. This is my only hobby and I am single. So I do not care.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
I watched a guy with solid color pants walk across a slope last week. Stuck out like a sore thumb. Maybe it was that particular background, but his camo jacket blended in much better. No idea on brands or what pattern as he was out there a bit. Just an observation after reading this thread. Nothing is absolute.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
For me, this was the best money I ever spent. All 3 seasons. Fall tree stand, winter marsh, spring ground.

mail me yours!
This sweater or one like it was commonly known as Dick Cabelas favorite piece of clothing produced by his company. I own three variants of it. love them.

Wags

WKR
Pants (except gore tex rain pants) from any hunting company. I'm a rifle hunter so camo isn't an issue. I've personally found several non-hunting pants to be just as good or better than some of the big name brands.

Dirtbag

WKR
high end hunting clothing by far. I'm very fortunate to get discounts on all of the brands, have tried all of them and cant help but realize I've been just as comfortable hunting in basic clothing.

Titan_Bow

WKR
had great luck with an oversized poncho in the Bob. Cost me $45 and I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

I have been thinking of going with a poncho a few times. We used the crap out of those things in the army for all sorts of things. And ultimately in the back country, having gear that can serve multiple duties is a big win.