Share your "Hunting Items I've overspent on with no advantage"

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
First Lite Obsidian merino pants. They are awesome, I love them. But they aren't $160 better than the Wrangler outdoor pants from Wal-Mart.

Could have saved a lot of money on a lot of things, but gear is part of the fun of hunting. Also, I've used cheap stuff, and been wet and cold and blistered for long enough, that being comfortable feels worth it at any price.

joker338

FNG
High end glass, especially in binos and scopes. I sold and replaced my top tier euro made binos for a pair that were not thousands of dollars. Realized i just need to identify animals at distance, not try to determine the shade of nostril hairs they had. Trophy judging is rather pointless as well. If you can’t tell a trophy rack from not then you’re probably far enough off that you can’t realistically hunt them anyway as their several miles away and who knows if they’ll still be there by the time you are. Again I only need to see a mature rack, not identify the species of pine pitch that rubbed the antler. For rifle scopes it’s been humbling to shoot the same distance and accuracy with a scope that cost a mere fraction of some of my other scopes. Plus you can still miss with a $2500 Nightforce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLAK

WKR
Wby. MKV Lazermark in 7mmWby, with a big ole Leupold 4.5x14 - 50 on it. Pulled off the fancy stock and put a B&C stock on it. It's now a safe queen as I prefer my Rem.700's.
And that scope is on a 25-06.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Unquestionably rifles. No telling what time and money I’ve spent trading in and out of rifles, buying ammo,etc. Every animal I’ve taken, with exception of one, could have been taken with the first 7mm I bought in 1995. I would be upset about it if I hadn’t had so much fun doing it.

100% this. Nice rifles are cool but I’ve never been unsuccessful on a hit because of my rifle.

wildcat33

WKR
Custom rifle. Built by top builder. Mid weight, shoots just fine, bolt binds, feeding is just OK. Tikka is a better tool and 1/4 the price.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
High end glass, especially in binos and scopes. I sold and replaced my top tier euro made binos for a pair that were not thousands of dollars. Realized i just need to identify animals at distance, not try to determine the shade of nostril hairs they had. Trophy judging is rather pointless as well. If you can’t tell a trophy rack from not then you’re probably far enough off that you can’t realistically hunt them anyway as their several miles away and who knows if they’ll still be there by the time you are. Again I only need to see a mature rack, not identify the species of pine pitch that rubbed the antler. For rifle scopes it’s been humbling to shoot the same distance and accuracy with a scope that cost a mere fraction of some of my other scopes. Plus you can still miss with a $2500 Nightforce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m with you on rifle scopes but when I’m looking at sheep and goats, it’s nice to have the best spotter possible so I can see if it’s worth approaching to hunt.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
I think back to when i was a kid and my dad and I hunted in jeans and cotton. We usually killed elk in november, never even thought about better clothes or fancy gear. Sometimes we were just wet and cold...... Then the problem came with being able to afford nicer stuff and buying gear makes us feel like we're "hunting" in the off season i guess.
Sometimes being tough can save alot of money on fancy gear. You all probably know that one crazy guy out there who has junk gear and still gets it done. We live in a soft world now

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Lol at this thread. Comparing cotton to merino or synthetics as if there are no advantages, also OP comparing a 50 dollar tent to a tipi and stove in the late season, just LOL.

I’ve spent way more nights in my $50 cheap tent and still do than my hot tent. Not saying I wouldn’t rather the hot tent if I had to live in the woods. Even doing late season archery deer hunts I still pack my smaller lighter tent 90% of the time and just sleep in my cloths inside my down bag. The hot tent is a pita to setup if your hunting off your back, it’s more of a base camp setup IMO and when that’s the case I use my wall tent. I still have it and hope to find a good hunt where it makes since to pack it in, I’m thinking a wilderness muzzleloader hunt in late November, but as of yet it’s gotten very little use in the last 5 years, and out of all the times I’ve used it one 1 time I actually used the stove.
Sure merino is great but people were hunting and very successful way before layering in 2K worth of gear was popular.
I’m in no way saying I don’t love all of my gear, I’m just saying it seems mind boggling to sit back and look at what we spend on things that really don’t matter.
I can’t think of a single thing I hunt with that I couldn’t live without though or any of those things that have made me more successful, a lot have defiantly made me more comfortable and all of it had made me much, much cooler.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
What tent are you using that’s $50 and can camp in all 4 seasons? What’s it weigh? How’s the durability, wind and water resistanceI? Have you been in harsh weather in this tent?

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
What tent are you using that’s $50 and can camp in all 4 seasons? What’s it weigh? How’s the durability, wind and water resistanceI? Have you been in harsh weather in this tent?
The two person one coated with silicon spray. I never said it’s a 4 seasons tent. Just because I feel like I waisted money on the tent it really shouldn’t hurt your feelings.

It does hold up well to wind and rain and with my down bag I can sleep pretty comfortably in it well below freezing. I hunt in Oregon and ID in august - nov so its as harsh as that gets. I spent over 40 nights in a tent this fall. A lot were spent in that tent and zero were spent in my hot tent. I normally spend 40-50 nights away from home hunting each fall and most of those are spent in tents. I’ve spent about 5 nights in my hot tent since I purchased it 5 years ago. I thought I needed it and it looked awesome, that just hasn’t been the case. Most nights are spent in a $200 Walmart pop up tent. Since buying the Walmart tent I’ve went 3-3 on public land six point bulls with my bow so maybe that purchase did make me a better hunter?

I also have 3 wall tents and a old single person backpacking tent I occasionally use depending on the hunt.

780731D7-5A07-4D40-B09E-A573404DAB22.jpeg

SMOKYMTN

WKR
Obviously this thread varies from individual to individual. For example, my overrated purchase would be my binos. Don't get me wrong, I fully believe in the advantages of great glass but hunting here in the Southern Appalachians, I typically find myself hunting in flora so thick that I can effectively glass with my eyes and that offers no time to consider reaching for a pair of binos because you get a split second to steady your rifle, aim the crosshairs and shoot, before they disappear into the thickets again.

On the contrary to many on this forum, I find my First Lite attire to be an outstanding purchase. Sure I killed many deer in Wal-Mart camo but I have found the ability to go further and stay longer hinges solely on hunter comfort, and there is no doubt that that can pack more warmth whilst weighing less and taking up less space than I used to, and it equates to more enjoyable hunts in more backcountry environments. I sure as hell do not miss my old Walls coveralls while trying to climb to 3500', 3 miles deep, through an Appalachian jungle (Rhododendron Thicket).

Mikido

WKR
One of the only things I’ve bought that really dissapointed me for the money was a heavy camo wool sweater from cabelas. I debated buying it for months due to the price. It was some wind proof, classy 1/4 zip that was around $150 when I had absolutely no money in college. I splurged and literally skipped meals because of it.

I’ve worn it twice in ten years. The first time I wore it I froze due to lack of a hood and back that pulled up, my neck was raw from the zipper, wind went straight through it. Second time, Velcro tabs and burrs caught everywhere and mangled it, pulling it over my head ripped an internal layer, it got muddy and the care instructions were absolutely tedious. It remains on a hanger front and center in my gear closet, taunting me, as I religiously grab my carhart hooded sweatshirt to go hunt.
For me, this was the best money I ever spent. All 3 seasons. Fall tree stand, winter marsh, spring ground.

mail me yours!

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex Razor spotting scope. I never even take it out of the truck on my western hunts. I ended up preferring 10x42’s on my chest and 15x56’s on the tripod for glassing. I’d sell the spotting scope but it’s nice to have at the range. But to me, my newly acquired merino base layers are worth every penny. I should have bought some years ago.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
For me, this was the best money I ever spent. All 3 seasons. Fall tree stand, winter marsh, spring ground.

mail me yours!
Is that the one?

Attachments

• 38663BA0-9690-4247-B0E7-819269148B96.jpeg
    38663BA0-9690-4247-B0E7-819269148B96.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 202