Share your "Hunting Items I've overspent on with no advantage"

Biggest thing that I have been truly disappointed in buying so far were my 4.0 under armor base layers. They market them as the perfect set for little to no movement but in practice they really didn't do anything for me I still was wearing an extra base layer with them during the season. And what's worse is that if you sweat in them they don't hardly wick so they will stay wet and hold the smell too. Wish I would have just went ahead and gotten some merino ones

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Camo.I find myself more apt to wear comfortable jeans and a flannel just to spite the Camo crazies. I still have Camo, but movement and smell are 99% of being seen.

This last year I only wore jeans n a red flannel for deer archery. It made no difference even when they looked at me.

rclouse79

WKR
I need to pull this thread up and read it often. Once I get money in my pocket I feel a compulsion to buy new gear. The researching and day dreaming is fun in itself, but rarely do I buy something that makes me wonder how I lived without it. In the last month I have convinced myself that the money sitting in my piggy bank needs to be put towards a spotting scope. Then it changed to a new tipi shelter. Then I was convinced I should instead use it to replace my old kifaru backpack. The challenge for me is resisting the initial urge to buy. I usually come to my senses and realize I am fine with the gear I have. If I end up still wanting something for months, it is more likely to be a purchase I am happy with.

This always reminds me something a friend of mine said when I was starting out, “more deer been shot with plaid jackets and work boots than all that fancy shit will ever.....”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s definitely a point of diminishing returns where it costs a lot more money for much more benefit. I think those first couple pieces of high end gear are a big improvement, whether it’s a backpack, boots, or sleeping bag...the staples. Then we spend the rest of our lives chasing the dragon hoping to recreate that magic going from bino harness A to bino harness B and it’s just not gonna happen. Enjoy those early upgrades because they just get more expensive and the gains are less and less.

archp625

WKR
Best way to do it is... stop worrying. Buy some shit. Sell what doesn't work. Upgrade 100 times and really figure out what works for you. Either way, It can change alot as you mature in your hunting style
This is so true. Just buy quality and you wont take a hit reselling it. But to me you have to try it for yourself and find out if it fits your needs and wants.

AZmark

WKR
Barrett Fieldcraft in 7mm08. Ive killed 2 muleys with it but my old 1948 Remington 722 that I rebarreled in 84 to 7mm08 would have done just as well and it still feels better shouldered.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
The two person one coated with silicon spray. I never said it’s a 4 seasons tent. Just because I feel like I waisted money on the tent it really shouldn’t hurt your feelings.

It does hold up well to wind and rain and with my down bag I can sleep pretty comfortably in it well below freezing. I hunt in Oregon and ID in august - nov so its as harsh as that gets. I spent over 40 nights in a tent this fall. A lot were spent in that tent and zero were spent in my hot tent. I normally spend 40-50 nights away from home hunting each fall and most of those are spent in tents. I’ve spent about 5 nights in my hot tent since I purchased it 5 years ago. I thought I needed it and it looked awesome, that just hasn’t been the case. Most nights are spent in a $200 Walmart pop up tent. Since buying the Walmart tent I’ve went 3-3 on public land six point bulls with my bow so maybe that purchase did make me a better hunter?

I also have 3 wall tents and a old single person backpacking tent I occasionally use depending on the hunt.

View attachment 253093

Is that the same tent in the pic and the link? If so, is that the cheap tent you mentioned in your first post?

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Is that the same tent in the pic and the link? If so, is that the cheap tent you mentioned in your first post?
The link is to the cheap tent that I was talking about. It’s a great little tent for backpacking and had lots of room for one person and gear. The picture is a customized seek outside little bug out BTB with dual stove jacks I had made, the one I’ve only used a few times.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
The link is to the cheap tent that I was talking about. It’s a great little tent for backpacking and had lots of room for one person and gear. The picture is a customized seek outside little bug out BTB with dual stove jacks I had made, the one I’ve only used a few times.
Ok thanks!

I rarely buy new gear...my rifles are Remington 700s from the 1970s and 1990s, both with the same trigger pull and old Leupold 3X9 scopes. My rain gear is an old Helly Hansen set. Most of my gear is over 20-30 years old...MSR Whisperlite, Lekki trekking poles, Eureka Summit Tent, Dana Designs backpack.
I like reliable gear and don't have the urge to "upgrade".

I did buy a new 16 foot river boat in 2008 and have never regretted that.
This year I did buy new meat bags as my old cotton bags finally saw their last season.
Big improvement in terms of volume and weight (28 X 60" 6-pack TAG bags)

Custom rifle. Built by top builder. Mid weight, shoots just fine, bolt binds, feeding is just OK. Tikka is a better tool and 1/4 the price.

Salesman just the other day was showing me a rifle of some and took great pains to point out how tight the bolt fit the raceway. As though it’s a good thing. I’ve shot field matches it the mud and can confirm that it’s not.

DavePwns

WKR
I guess it's all about perspective, if you get top of the line hunting gear and spend 12k total, that's not too bad compared to a bass fisherman with a 70k boat with obsurd maintenance costs and 30k in lures, rods, and fish finders...

AZmark

WKR
Barrett Fieldcraft in 7mm08. Ive killed 2 muleys with it but my old 1948 Remington 722 that I rebarreled in 84 to 7mm08 would have done just as well and it still feels better shouldered.
To add to this.........
I have spent $$ on some Swarovski binos, my feeling is that if I cant find them I cant shoot them, and these are just as important for glassing at 100 yds in heavy shady cover as they are for looking 1/4 mile. Then can still stalk and shoot them with my old Remngton 722 as it groups just as good as my Fieldcraft.

Also have just upgraded most of my leupold rifle scopes to Z3 swarovski. Not because I consider Leupold to not be good scopes as they are and Ive shot lots of game with them but because my old eyes have degraded past the eyepiece focus adjust, my distance vision is still good but cant wear readers while shooting and have found Swaro to have more adjustment and be a tad clearer.

That all said I DONT/WONT spend big bucks on "Designer camo clothes" so I can "look good" in the field. I still wear my Walmart camo and have decent Carrardt rain gear to go over that it needed.