Sharp Broadheads, Painless?

JJHACK

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Wa. State and in Elisrass South Africa
An observation on broadhead sharpness and the feeling of being sliced open with them.

Yesterday I was on the phone waiting on an appointment and had a Rage broad head in my truck laying on the console. I was inspecting it to see the function and just admiring the design. I've never used one on big game, but they are 100% my first choice on turkeys. Nothing I have ever used or seen has been more perfect and lethal.

So here I am iPhone between my shoulder and ear listening in the conference call I was participating in, and with my two hands opening and closing the blades of the rage. I had to speak on the call, so I went to grab the phone and dropped the broad head between the seat and the console. So while I was talking I reached down there with the free hand to get it.

As I slid my hand between the seat and the console I felt something hard and figured it was part of the seat slide mechanism. I got to the floor and there was no broad head. I spoke on the call for about 30-45 seconds and then peeked between the seats to see where it was. However as I pulled my hand out there was blood gushing everyplace!

I had sliced through the tops of the three knuckles on my right hand. Only my thumb and little finger survived the cuts. There was still no feeling of pain, or any feeling of being cut. It was so painless that I was almost in disbelief that I could be bleeding this much from my fingers and not feel anything!

Fortunately with a 12 year old son, the dash box was filled with fast food napkins. I quick grabbed them and covered the fingers. Still no pain, not even a slight indication of anything wrong, other then the seats and my clothing covered in blood.

I got off the conference call and changed my afternoon plans to head back to home. It was about 45 min away. About half way home I felt very light headed and I was sweating like a horse! My shirt was dripping sweat, and my focus was bad. I pulled off the road and reclined my seat a bit with the Aircon full blast. I opened a bottle of water and assessed the blood flow and the distance yet to go. I was here about 15-20 min I would guess.

It seemed that I was able to settle or calm just a bit. However the first set of napkins was soaked and dripping. I replaced them but saw the depth of the slices and the disturbing looking mess. I got back on the road. I called ahead to Calleen and told her when I get home she would need to be ready to get me to the emergency room. She was calm ( a surgical nurse ) and asked me how I was doing to drive myself. I told her I stopped along the way when things were beginning to get fuzzy. She stayed on the phone with me, both joking and angry which was brilliant to keep my focus and attention. I got home and replaced the napkins again. 25 min later we were in the Emergency room at the desk.

So at this point I have been bleeding at a good rate for about an hour and a half. Still not even a slight bit of pain or any feeling that I was hurt or sliced. However that was about to change. The doctor looked it over and washed this mess out. He glued two of the fingers shut with the third getting glue and stitches because the seam was dead center across the knuckle. Then he splinted that finger so that it would not bend and pull the stitches out.

The cleaning out part was bad, and the visual of the skin flapping open that deep was gruesome especially when it's yours!!! They numbed it which made it pain from washing it out go away, and then sewed it up.

So the whole gist of this is just to be careful with broad heads DUH!

But the other interesting thought I have is that it may be possible that a clean lightening fast pass through of an arrow may not generate any pain to the game we shoot. With perfectly sharp broadheads that slice so clean, it was actually an astonishing pain free experience.

Gut wrenching, sickening volume of blood, and scary to be sure. But never even a sliver of pain.

colonel00

WKR
I hear ya man. I won't even go into how stupid I was when I managed to slice my finger open with a broadhead. It didn't really hurt for several days.

ymb_7lDzMI_6V3o18mfPHX3iZ5ARPeIv29ncKeCsCtc=w604-h706-no

Last edited:
I have to agree with this in part, I've cut myself with very sharp knives before with out even noticing it. I assume it could be the same with BH's. I've also shot an seen animals shot that did not even move, just stood there then dropped.

Zbowman1

WKR
I am not squeamish but I had a hard time reading all that, lol.. When I was in High school I trimmed a lot of Christmas trees in MI were I grew up. To trim trees you use a long slim Machete with a rounded tip and you stopped to sharpen it every couple of trees. I was working my way around a tree when I felt something brush my ear. I thought it was a branch bushing the side of my head. I finish that tree and the next one until one of my buds ran up to me and about fainted. I had cut most of my ear off and I had bleed so much my socks were soaking up the blood that was running down my side and leg. I never felt a thing until the Doc stitched it back on.

bowuntr

WKR
That's some beautiful stitching.... Do they sew on packs? Be very careful... everytime I open my Havalon I cringe.... Ed F

mt100gr.

WKR
Veteran tree farm manager/ laborer here. I have seen some nasty "didn't even feel it cuts" one was a hairline split down the center (dead center) of a dudes back. He was swinging at a yellow jacket. Another bad one was a blade buried in a shin bone. A lazy job putting on his leg guard and an errant swing....had to wiggle the knife back and forth to back it outta the bone. Then there were the pine cone fights. You can really fling em if you stick em to the tip of your knife. Best way to stick em there is to hold em in your other hand and sink the blade into them that way....bad idea.

Never underestimate the sharpness of good steel.

Jens

FNG
When I was 16 I stepped into a fred bear 2 blade while looking for the first whitetail buck I had shot. My buddy was crossing a fence with one in the pipe and I was looking out into the field. It buried into the side of my knee up to the bleeders. Pulled it out and kept looking for the buck. Zero pain. After about ten minutes my coveralls were getting wet so we stopped to take a look...Pretty nasty looking and my buddy feinted. Pretty funny and still gets brought up over beers 25 years later. Same as op no pain until the doc started working on it. It did get really stiff for a while.

brucemt

FNG
c8dae1f5055d95228b32cb4913210349.jpg
9357b9856750d5d72d2753f542c208c3.jpg

Not me or even anybody I know. A buddy I work with got these from his kid who works in Wyoming.

The story he got was a guy he works with shot an antelope and was walking over to it and one of the arrows slipped out of his quiver nock end down into the sage brush and he walked right into it.

However it happened it's pretty gruesome looking.

mt100gr.

WKR
Good Lord! I guess the grim reapers do make a decent hole, afterall :)...be careful everyone

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't know about the "sharp blade" pain-free theory.......ever get a paper cut? About the same as a scalpel sharp thin cut. A few years ago I had a chainsaw accident. I stood there holding the chainsaw looking down at my torn up jeans just praying "please God, make it only my jeans"......didn't feel a thing. Then pulled my jeans out of the way exposing my flesh butterflied open. And never felt a thing until the tech was injecting and washing it out before sewing it all up. I can't imagine a more ragged cut.

E-2

Lil-Rokslider
Does human flesh have pain receptors at varying levels? Is that how this happens? Maybe the severed tissue goes into shock and that is why we don't feel these injuries unitl the cleanout.

MattB

WKR
I am glad to hear you are alright after your experience.

Being shot with an arrow is much more dynamic than dragging one's hand across a BH, and things like hitting bone or the drag from fletching add the sensation an animal may feel. We have all heard of stories or have experienced animals that did not react to being shot, but is not a simple as the sharpness of the broadhead.

Buddy of mine got shot in the guts by a newbie on a fenced pig hunt. Arrow went in above his belly button and out his back just off his spine. Missed kidneys, liver, and descending aorta by centimeters. He heard the bow go off and the arrow hit the brush behind him, then instant pain. Said it hurt like hell. was in the hospital for over a month.

muleman

WKR
Buddy of mine got shot in the guts by a newbie on a fenced pig hunt. Arrow went in above his belly button and out his back just off his spine. Missed kidneys, liver, and descending aorta by centimeters. He heard the bow go off and the arrow hit the brush behind him, then instant pain. Said it hurt like hell. was in the hospital for over a month.

Wow! Sound like he is very lucky to be alive.