Sharp Tailed Grouse

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
I loved hunting doves in SW Missouri but since moving to NW Nebraska a little over a year ago I've been intrigued by the plump chickens hiding in the grass with the funny cackle. I've gone for a couple long walks to try and shoot a couple but i have no idea what im doin chasin those heart attack pills. Where do they like to go to feel safe, tall copper toned grass on flats or sunny hillsides? Better to hunt them on clear skied days or with overcast? Any and all tips would be helpful. If nothin else its fun to take the dogs on a walk and see what we see. Thanks in advance!

2RiversCO

Lil-Rokslider
Love the sandhills. Been going to Nebraska every year for the last 10 years for grouse. I've seen them in fresh cut hay fields and all throughout the sandhills. Can honestly say i've never thought of a specific cover as sharpy cover because I've seen them in everything every year.

One of those more miles more bird type of deals in my opinion. Give Mckelvie a try its always produced birds.

SoDaky

WKR
Never hunted the Sandhills for grouse.(only North and South Dakota and Mt)but guessing that osmedia nailed it.Would add that any alfalfa field will have them in the AM and any stubble field pretty much the same.Easier to get close in stubble than alfalfa for me.Especially if the alfalfa is wet.(AM dew)
In many years of hunting them I've only seen them in high grass(over say your knees)one time.They like vision.
If your 'grass' has green spots or distinctive spots of shorter grass or clumps of berry bushes they likely will be there midday.In eastern Mt berry bush clumps on hillsides are golden-almost like approaching and hollaring 'pull'.
Ditto on brushy areas within stubble fields.
Final comment,at dawn you can locate cause they will be flying to food.Often can see where they came from then.

You're better off hunting them earlier in the season, September and October. Once they age and bunch up they get pretty spooky. They are usually on the hoppers then.

We used to get a few out of the shelter belts in South Dakota. It seems like most that I've seen are on relatively open, short grass ridges.

I did read an article about decoying them if you can get in an area where they fly from roost to feed. I believe the author was using homemade silhouettes placed in cedars and on the ground. It may have been published in Nebraskaland, if my memory is correct.

Thanks fellas for the explanations. Makes me want to head out west. I have chased ruffs but never sharp tails. Sounds amazing

hobbes

WKR
You're definitely better off chasing sharpies early in the season. They can be heck to get close to once they bunch up and wise up. I shoot a few every year later in the season while chasing pheasants, but it's always a lucky encounter.

Early season sandhills, not to grazed needs cover. Later shift into alfalfa fields and stubble. Big country- a couple guys with a couple good working dogs helps a lot.

SoDaky

WKR
Runningwater makes a great point re dogs.Narrows the 'field' immensely.When I hunt with my buddy his 2 Brittanies really shine vs my Springer or lab.They cover much more ground.Suspect they unearth 2 coveys for my one.(reverse though on pheasants:))

We have sharptails in interior Alaska and they go through population cycles.

One year I shot 60 over a fall with a self-imposed limit of 4 birds per night.
They concentrated in old burns eating ligonberries (low bush cranberries).
Not spooky compared to the ones I flush in late season hunting in Montana that flush at 200 yards.