Sharpening stone that won't break the bank

I've been putting off picking up a good stone to sharpen my Mora and my buddy just moved it higher on my priority list for me. Apparently his dad never taught him anything. He used a slab of granite as a cutting board and now I have a nice big dull spot in my edge.

Any recomendations on a good stone for scandie grinds that's not to expensive? Not looking for a small carry sharpener, just a nice big stone for around the house.

WoodBow

WKR
The harbor freight diamond "stones " are what i use. Cheap and effective. I think they only go to 360 grit or so but i have no need to go higher. I will raise and burr and then buff it off with a sharpening wheel.

Old_Navy

Lil-Rokslider
I usually recommend a 3 stone progression for general use. The universal starter set:

Naniwa-Chosera 400 or 600 grit

Japanese Waterstones: NANIWA PROFESSIONAL STONE | FINE TOOLS

my go to medium stone is a Bester 1200 by Imanshi
Japanese Waterstones: IMANISHI Bester | FINE TOOLS

for a fine stone: Suehiro Rika 5k
Japanese Waterstones: Suehiro and Cerax | FINE TOOLS

for stainless there's not a whole lot of benefit going above 5k, If you have some Hi-end carbons like Hitachi W2
or Aogami Super then you might go up to a Kitayama 8k or a Junpaku { Naniwa Snow White }

I picked up a Mora Companion, handle little sucker.

While I'm pretty good with just about any sharpening stone.
Holding the proper angle for some is challenging.
For those, I highly recommend the Lansky or Frost sharpening systems. Foolproof and precise control.

For those even more challenged, the Worksharp is crude yet foolproof. Good solution for utility/kitchen knives hatchets and the like. I have one and it does work.

For a good field sharpener is the Ez-Lap folding double sided diamond fine/med grit. Its a folding butterfly design, very light weight.

Hope this helps.
Hunt'nFish

2ski

WKR
I picked up a Mora Companion, handle little sucker.

While I'm pretty good with just about any sharpening stone.
Holding the proper angle for some is challenging.
For those, I highly recommend the Lansky or Frost sharpening systems. Foolproof and precise control.

For those even more challenged, the Worksharp is crude yet foolproof. Good solution for utility/kitchen knives hatchets and the like. I have one and it does work.

For a good field sharpener is the Ez-Lap folding double sided diamond fine/med grit. Its a folding butterfly design, very light weight.

Hope this helps.
Hunt'nFish

I was on a knife forum a few years ago and everyone was all about the Spiderco. I didn't see you mention it. Are you not a fan? I have a Landsky too and it seems to me it gets my knives sharper than my Spiderco, but I wasn't sure if it was just in my head or user error.

Sorry, no option on the Spyderco... never used one.
But as a home kit, if it doesn't hold the angle for you, it'll always get a lower grade from me.
Hunt'nFish