Sharpening Trophy Taker A-Tac

cvanman

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have a good method to sharpen the Trophy Taker A-Tac broadheads?

trackboss

FNG
I also would like to know.

Ironic that you bring this up as I very rarely see a-tac broadheads talked about. They have been in my quiver on my hunts for a few years now. I have shot 3 arrows at 3 wild pigs with them and each was a one shot kill pass through. Two of them a couple weeks ago. All three took just seconds for the pigs to die. The blood trail was excellent if not massive although with a lung shot it took a few yards before the blood dumped out simply because it was filling the internal cavity before reaching the hole. The first two went down a few yards from shot and the third was on a hill and the pig traveled/rolled downhill which extended the recovery a bit, but not much.
In my experience the a-tacs seem a bit dull out of the package, but that had zero detrimental effect on their performance. I actually have an excellent video, but I can't attach it.
The challenge I saw trying to resharpen them was that the edges on the main blade change angle at the very tip and when I tried to sharpen it took away that change. Still couldn't get them very sharp. I honestly don't place priority on sharpness based on my success. My main reason for resharpening is simply because they are no longer made. I shoot the 125 and have noticed they are not available anywhere for the last couple years. I actually called trophy taker a couple weeks ago and they were really hard to deal with. Zero advice on how to sharpen and the person I spoke to didn't even really care. I was told they are no longer producing the 125 and when the 100 sell out they will also be obsolete. That experience made me not want to be a customer of theirs anymore.
On the hunt for a new broadhead. Pretty disappointed. Aside from my experience above they also fly better than my ability to shoot. With a good shooter I would imagine they group with field points out to 100 or more yards.

OP
cvanman

cvanman

Lil-Rokslider
I also would like to know.

Ironic that you bring this up as I very rarely see a-tac broadheads talked about. They have been in my quiver on my hunts for a few years now. I have shot 3 arrows at 3 wild pigs with them and each was a one shot kill pass through. Two of them a couple weeks ago. All three took just seconds for the pigs to die. The blood trail was excellent if not massive although with a lung shot it took a few yards before the blood dumped out simply because it was filling the internal cavity before reaching the hole. The first two went down a few yards from shot and the third was on a hill and the pig traveled/rolled downhill which extended the recovery a bit, but not much.
In my experience the a-tacs seem a bit dull out of the package, but that had zero detrimental effect on their performance. I actually have an excellent video, but I can't attach it.
The challenge I saw trying to resharpen them was that the edges on the main blade change angle at the very tip and when I tried to sharpen it took away that change. Still couldn't get them very sharp. I honestly don't place priority on sharpness based on my success. My main reason for resharpening is simply because they are no longer made. I shoot the 125 and have noticed they are not available anywhere for the last couple years. I actually called trophy taker a couple weeks ago and they were really hard to deal with. Zero advice on how to sharpen and the person I spoke to didn't even really care. I was told they are no longer producing the 125 and when the 100 sell out they will also be obsolete. That experience made me not want to be a customer of theirs anymore.
On the hunt for a new broadhead. Pretty disappointed. Aside from my experience above they also fly better than my ability to shoot. With a good shooter I would imagine they group with field points out to 100 or more yards.
Thanks.

I just use sandpaper on cardboard or on leather glued to a piece of wood. Bleeders are easier that main blade but with patience I can get both blades to pop a rubber band instantly.

I use them because they are still the best flying fixed blade I can find, high dollar brands included.

I use a Lansky pull thru on the wider blade. The lead blade is trickier. I use a narrow flat stone and carefully follow each bevel. Works fairly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jthomas

Lil-Rokslider
Old thread but found it in my search to buy these broadheads. I have 4 OG 100g mint that i would trade for the 125 OG. I bought 6 125s from arcus they are junk....bleeder blade width is 1/8" smaller than original and the bleeder blade is loose and rattles inside the broadhead slot. Wish someone would buy this design and sell them. They are extremely accurate and devastating on elk!

trackboss

FNG
FWIW, last year I searched all over trying to find a retailer that had 125's. Many showed them listed, but really did not stock them. Eventually, I came across Black Ovis and decided to call to confirm. To my surprise, they had a few packs in stock. You may want to try calling them.