Shed antlers: LET SEE UM!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
As much as I love mule deer, I don't shed hunt much unless I've been watching a good buck during the winter. My job is busiest January through June, so shed hunting doesn't fit well in that schedule, however, I do love looking for them.

BuckSnort

WKR
These are some CA Hybrid sheds...

Backpack shed hunt with my bro..

scan074.jpg

One of my better pairs, these were laying right next to one another, I was too excited to get an ATL shot..lol

Mybigpairofshedsfoundin2000smallpic.jpg

Another nice pair..

P3094103.jpg

P3094098.jpg

BuckSnort

WKR
More CA Hybrids...

One of my favorites...My buddy found the first side I found the other..They were about 80 yards apart we were so glad to find both sides...This is a HUGE buck for this area..

bigpair2.jpg

Shedhunting2005033.jpg

bigpair.jpg

bigpair4.jpg

BuckSnort

WKR
Same buck, my oldest God daughter posing with them..

-sheds.jpg

My bro found this nice dropper buck while floating a nearby river..

P3263951.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR
Wow bucksnort! Those make the sheds i find look like nothin. Granted im only looking where i hunt in SD. That is some awsome looking country and even better sheds, one day maybe ill get out there

Lukem

WKR
IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

12 miles of walking out on the prairie here in SD. Nothing real big, but one 2 year old 4 point has some potential.

I haven't found a single set this year BUT the tire of my Dry Fertilizer sprayer did!!!! About a 115" whitetail drop only one side. I'll get some pics up of ones I have found though!

Idaho Sheds

Ended up with 160 Mule deer sheds and 40 something Elk sheds this year in Idaho. Second year out here and after last year (19 deer and 3 Elk) I was determined to get it done. I put on a lot of miles with my dog and we had a blast. Already can't wait for next year.

Here are a few...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shed 1.jpg
    Shed 1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Shed 2.jpg
    Shed 2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Shed 3.jpg
    Shed 3.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Shed 4.jpg
    Shed 4.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 22
  • Shed 5.jpg
    Shed 5.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Here are a few more.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shed 6.jpg
    Shed 6.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Shed 7.jpg
    Shed 7.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Shed 8.jpg
    Shed 8.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Shed 9.jpg
    Shed 9.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Shed 10.jpg
    Shed 10.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Finding this Elk shed was pretty cool because I found the first side the November before while Mule deer hunting, little did I know that just on the other side of the ridge his match was laying. I was very happy to come across it while shed hunting in April!

attachment.php

Every weekend from Mid January until the second week of April, along with several shorter trips after work once the clocks were set back an hour. I had a great time and I can't wait for next year!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I spent about two days in this area as it had burned the year before, I new there were shed's in the area, ended up with 21 one day and then a buddy and I found 16 the next day. There were several bucks using the area in March, but with it being a bit closer to the road than I liked I just decided to leave it alone.

Either way, I was at the bottom of the canyon and something told me to just climb up and check out a bench, I had a feeling there would be a shed up on it.. I was right! Not the biggest, but made for a cool picture!

attachment.php