Shed Dog

DSY_WA

FNG
Not to be confused with sled dogs. Was curious to know if guys had to do a bunch of training to get their dogs on sheds?

I ask because I have a younger pup, German Shorthaired Pointer, and she's got so much energy to burn. The only concern I have is the plethora of ticks around the spring time.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get something called rack wax smells like antlers it is a slow dedicated process like all our other training with dogs and yes lots of training 👍🤩this guy is crazy about antlers but I introduced him to them at 8 weeks and no other things27FC8094-29EE-4041-BB26-5AB964E916E5.png

Last edited:
I have a Brittany that in between training for quail I’ll play fetch with him with a shed or go hide one on our property and let him go try to find it. He’s not the best at finding sheds since he would much rather find quail but still fun to have him out with me looking for them.

dtrkyman

WKR
Make a game out if it, get a fresh shed and get his interest.

I know a guy who trains labs to find em, said they will find em 10-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DSY_WA

DSY_WA

FNG
Get something called rack wax smells like antlers it is a slow dedicated process like all our other training with dogs and yes lots of training 👍🤩this guy is crazy about antlers but I introduced him to them at 8 weeks and no other thingsView attachment 151295
Thanks for the pointer, I've never heard of a product like that before. That's an awesome picture as well! Any issues with ticks in your neck of the woods?

OP
DSY_WA

DSY_WA

FNG
I'll make sure to find some busted sheds I can bring out to the pup. I figured that some training is required, the games will be great for her since she's so spastic. The only issue I see will be keeping her focused, right at the age where anything that moves is the number one priority!

My buddy has a pointer that is awesome at finding sheds. Started her young and made a game out of it. Now it's all she wants to do.

There is enough good companies out there for tick control that will put your mind at ease about the ticks.
We run our setters in WI during late summer. So many ticks you can see them crawling on the dog as the dog whizzes by. Have yet to have a tick bite and live.
Good luck with the shed dog. GSP are smart and very versatile.