Shed Hunting Ethics, By Karson Sorenson

Elkfever4

FNG
I see what your saying, but if I’m correct your out in Kansas , I lived in wamego,Kansas. A few years back. There is not a ton of public property out there. I guess I’m just saying I see your point. That’s being said can you see mine and possibly his as well. As it being public property for everyone to visit .

Biggie

FNG
Depends on the area of the state. I left on the spot as I had already found what I was looking for. During season I won't go where anyone else is, unless they've walked in on me before. Muzzleloader season I left two for sure spots I had patterned bucks and ended up shooting a good one on plan C. My first year here I walked into a spot archery season with a truck already there. Huge area so I thought I wouldn't bump into the guy. He ended up watching me shoot the buck he was hunting as unknown to me he was 100yds away and I felt like an azzhat. On big areas there's no reason to not head to another spot. Keeps pressure spread out and the hunting is better for everyone.

The military has placed me in several states where I’ve had the opportunity to shed hunt. What I’ve noticed is most everyone is respectful, but you’ll always get your bad apples that ruin it. Good article, wish everyone would read it.

PacNW

FNG
View attachment 269103

Shed hunting ethics comes up often and will continue to come up as shed hunting gains more and more popularity each year. @ksorenson11 breaks down some of the rules and how to enjoy this activity while protecting the wildlife we all love.

Shed Hunting Ethics

Karson was born and raised in a small town in Central Utah. He started shed hunting at a young age with his dad and his brother. He found his first deer sheds when he was 9 years old and his shed hunting passion was born. He took his hunter's safety course when he was 13 and has been hunting and shed hunting ever since. These days he lives in Southern Utah where he is a wildland firefighter. He spends most of his summers fighting fires in the Western U.S. and most of the fall, winter, and spring hunting and shed hunting as much as possible.
Great article. Thx for posting

Good read, thanks for sharing.

What about sheds being part of the ecosystem? I've found older sheds that have lots of teeth marks, presumably from a smaller animal gnawing on them (for nutrients?). Are we doing harm by removing too many sheds?

I haven't gone on a dedicated shed hunt, but the thought has crossed my mind.

What about sheds being part of the ecosystem? I've found older sheds that have lots of teeth marks, presumably from a smaller animal gnawing on them (for nutrients?). Are we doing harm by removing too many sheds?
Sheds are certainly a component of the ecosystem, but I do not know what kind of harm is potentially being done by removing them. Something tells me that isn't the kind of thing a lot of people would be interested in finding out...

I have to be honest and say that to me, the huge rise in popularity of shed hunting goes against the ethic of "take only pictures, leave only footprints" that I grew up with.

When my neighbor comes home with a trailer full of sheds, I cringe a little. It's a free country, but that also means that I'm free not to love it.

Sheds are certainly a component of the ecosystem, but I do not know what kind of harm is potentially being done by removing them. Something tells me that isn't the kind of thing a lot of people would be interested in finding out...

I have to be honest and say that to me, the huge rise in popularity of shed hunting goes against the ethic of "take only pictures, leave only footprints" that I grew up with.

When my neighbor comes home with a trailer full of sheds, I cringe a little. It's a free country, but that also means that I'm free not to love it.
Appreciate these thoughts. I think it's neat to pick up a cool looking shed while you're scouting or hunting, but seeing them accumulated en masse (presumably for sale?) doesn't sit well with me.

To each their own, i suppose, and maybe there's no harm done.