Sheep Cape Costs

buzzy

WKR
What are hunters, who decide to do a euro mount, getting for both shoulder and full body capes these days?

Considering doing this if I’m successful on my dall hunt as I’m running out of room on my wall for shoulder mounts. However I have no idea on what a taxidermist might pay for one vs the other.

Thanks for the input.

VernAK

WKR
Around $600 for a good Dall Sheep shoulder mount cape. I’ve never packed out a life size sheep cape, only shoulder/half body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^this^^^^^^

I sold a late august raw cape for $600 a few years back. Some will pay more for late; longer haired capes but some taxidermists want an early, short haired cape so they can accentuate muscles and arteries.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I've only caped 1 ram (my first) and should I score on a ram here in a week or so i'll be capping that one too. It will be nice to have the option to either do a shoulder mount or make a little scratch.

I've sold a few sheep and goat capes. Price varies a lot based on local demand and cape condition. If a taxi has a buyer lined up, $600 for a shoulder mount seems pretty fair (locally). If they are buying on speculation, expect to get offers that are well under that... $400-$450 were common bids two and three years ago. Bullet holes, excessive blood, or knife cuts on the face can reduce that further. I've found that as the season goes on, sometimes demand can slack as they get all the stock of spare capes they want. Lifesize will get $1000+ and the last one I sold for $1250. Demand is limited, and IME has required marketing and shipping to the L48.

Top dollar requires the cape to have minimal skinning damage around the face and be cut LONG. You will loose money if it's not cut well back on the rib cage.

Ideally, line the buyer up before hand and find out what condition they want the cape. I've gotten pushback for having them turned and salted, but I've also gotten flack for selling them raw and frozen. Different guys want them delivered different ways. It really helps if you have an established relationship and they know what kind of condition you typically can deliver them in.

As a side note, the weight different between a cape and a FS is minimal. About 3 lbs as I recall. Practicality of carrying it out hinges primarily on the bulk.

Yk

As an aside, I am in the market for a sheep cape if anybody happens to have one for sale. Both life size and shoulder mount cape needed.

bradb

WKR
I think I paid $500 for mine off of here 2 years ago. I think. It was a very nice cape