Sheep, Early, Alaska Range - Kuiu Guide Jacket? Sitka Mountain/

Is the KUIU Guide jacket too heavy to carry or a needed piece for an early season sheep hunt in Alaska Range? What about the Sitka Mountain Jacket?

I have a Kuiu Super Down Ultra puffy & Sitka cloudburst rain gear. Is a soft shell like the Guide jacket needed? Leaning towards a Mountain jacket as it's a windproof layer and light. But is this needed with a rain shell over it? My thinking is the Mountain Jacket would breathe better than a rain shell?

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't bring a softshell for the early season Alaska Range sheep hunts. I'd stick with just rain gear (tops and bottoms) and a insulated puffy (tops and bottoms) plus the other stuff. Here is what I'll be bringing in that same general area and timeframe:

Arctery'x Beta SV rain jacket
Kuiu Chugach pants
Kuiu Super Down Pro Jacket
Kuiu Super Down Ultra Pants
Kuiu Pro Pants
2-3 smartwool pairs socks
1 extra pair skivvies
Sitka Core Lightweight Top
Kuiu Peloton 97 top or Arcteryx Aptin Zip Hoody
Arcteryx Beanie
Kuiu Attack Gloves and Sitka Mountain Glove

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I would leave the soft shell at home or in base camp. The puffy with rain gear is what I use and has served me well in the mountains.

Kotaman

WKR
X3...Puffy and rain gear, are enough. Bring a good mid layer and that’s all you should need for upper layers. I don’t remember the last time I took a soft shell on a early to mid season mountain hunt.

keller

WKR
What do you consider a good mid layer?
X3...Puffy and rain gear, are enough. Bring a good mid layer and that’s all you should need for upper layers. I don’t remember the last time I took a soft shell on a early to mid season mountain hunt.

Kotaman

WKR
What do you consider a good mid layer?

I like the Sitka Apex Hoodie. Also like the Sitka Heavy Weight Hoodie. Lately I wear in my KUIU Peloton 97 hoodie and pack my Apex Hoodie. Sleep in one, hunt in one, rotate. Paired with a First Lite SS Merino I’m good to go until it gets really cold late season.