Sheep food weight and calorie count?

tdot

WKR
My goal is 1.25 to 1.5 pounds a day, and that's consistently 3000 - 3500 calories. The key is adding oil to every meal.

Oatmeal in the AM, with 1 to 2 fl. Oz. Of C8 oil added to it. This sounds weird, but honestly you wont notice the oil, but you will notice the extra calorie hit. I prefer it over coffee.

Lunch and dinner are each 1/2 freeze dried meal, with added dehydrated pasta and 1 to 2 oz of olive oil. I prepackage the meal in a ziploc freezer bag and add the oil on the mountain.

I like a hot meal every meal. It is good for the minset. It takes 2 minutes to boil water and then its rehydrating in my pack for 15 minutes, while I'm hiking or glassing.

Snacks consist of nuts, smarties, dried fruits and the small Halloween candy bars and pure chocolate. Also make up some peanut butter and honey bombs that are in single serve packages. No bread, but damn tasty.

I usually bring a couple reward or pick me up desserts or meals. If it's a shorter trip, I'll add in an avocado or apple.

I also pack in a protein powder, supplements, vitamins and drink mixes. This helps with my recovery time, exhaustion levels and keeps my brain in the game more. Its only about 75 grams a day and limited calories, but taking everything makes me feel way better.

Poser

WKR
I use powdered butter, which I got turned into on this forum, and add it to my meals and coffee, chamomile tea etc. it’s great and all of your dehydrated meals can benefit from the taste of increased fat and you need WAY more fat than normal on a trip like this than you normally eat. You can find it on Amazon $20-30 for a pound. It’s really been a game changer for me.

duchntr

WKR
Cant say I've ever weighed my food load out per day but id bet I'm close to 2lbs. Breakfast is either mtn house or granola/oatmeal mix with coffee and emergenC. Lunch is a bagel sandwich and power bar, or salmon/beef jerky and cheese with a protein bar. Dinner is a mtn house with a candy bAR or protein bar. I bring gu shots and an extra protein bar for my daily food allotment.

Poser

WKR
Cant say I've ever weighed my food load out per day but id bet I'm close to 2lbs. Breakfast is either mtn house or granola/oatmeal mix with coffee and emergenC. Lunch is a bagel sandwich and power bar, or salmon/beef jerky and cheese with a protein bar. Dinner is a mtn house with a candy bAR or protein bar. I bring gu shots and an extra protein bar for my daily food allotment.

I’m kind of the same way. I went through a phase where I weighed my food, but I’ve gotten a good enough feel for it and spent enough time in the field eating that I don’t concern myself with the details of weight anymore. Probably around 2 lbs a day as well.

*zap*

WKR
Virgin olive oil is a very good source of healthy fats (monounsaturated) and walnuts for polyunsaturated fat (omega 3). Olive oil goes well in lots of things especially foil packed tuna and walnuts can be ground up and mixed into oatmeal or other foods.
Foil packed tuna with olive oil is a pretty good meal, imo. Add in some dried fruit for carbs or even an apple.
If you coat eggs with mineral oil they will stay good for quite a while unrefrigerated....those camping egg holders really do work to protect eggs.....good eggs are full of important nutrients....12 eggs and 2 cups of oatmeal/1 1/3 cup's of ground walnuts = 4 good meals. Good fats/protein and good carbs.

IMG_5428.JPG

OP
U

USMCret

FNG
The math is off for sure. I believe the 1200 cal packages are split into three 400cal squares. From the nutrition label I can find, each square weighs 2.67oz, which puts them at 149.8cal/oz, which isn't too shabby. So a 3600cal bar would weigh just over 24oz.
I checked amazon and it says shipping weight for 1 bar is 4 oz

Great info here. Im not usually a warm breakfast person but always have a breakfast smoothie. Does anyone just do this for their breakfasts? I usually have a smoothy made with wilderness athlete protein powder, WA poweder greens, WA MCT powder, a banana and frozen berries. I was considering premaking all of the powders and using powdered berries instead of frozen and then premixing all of the powders together in single day use bags for my upcoming goat hunt for my breakfasts.

My breakfast is typically 2 packs of instant oatmeal, one pack carnation instant breakfast, 2 table spoons dry milk and dried blueberries. I don’t mind eating it with cold or hot water depending on how much time I have. I premix everything in a ziplock bag. Never been sheep hunting but has done well for me on numerous deer and elk hunts. Some days I eat peanut butter and bacon sandwiches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot for 125calories/oz. Typical day is 3000 calories with 150gr protein and 150gr fat. Comes in at 1.5lbs a day.
i like sesame oil and olive oil for adds.
Suppers: 10 day hunt i have 5 meals i dehydrated, 4 heathers choice and 1 mountain house chili mac.
A few must have lunch/snacks: dehydrated meat with sesame oil drizzled on it, powdered PB rehydrated with precooked bacon on a flat bagel, flaming hot cheetos, peanut M&Ms

Snyd

WKR
Some guys have brought up fat. That's what's lacking in most backpacking type food. Fat calories. We can get protein and carbs pretty easy in many ways but we need fat also!

Years ago I started adding butter and olive oil. I make up daily rations and breakfast is granola with added raisins, brown sugar powdermilk, cinnamon, whatever else and a big chunk of butter. Add some hot water and it's sweet, creamy goodness in the morning. I'd have to check my notes/figures but it's about 1000 calories.

Add olive oil to your freeze dried dinner or just take a swig.

Pocket Bread
Dried salami
cheese
mustard and mayo packets
Whole wheat bagels
Peanut butter mixed with honey
Snickers
Cliff bars

I make up daily rations and I can get about 3500 calories at 1.5-2lbs per day. I have notes/figures somewhere. I still lose weight on a sheep hunt though and I'm pretty lean starting out.

I vary my diet throughout the year from periods of Keto to low carb to high carb feasting while lifting heavy.
One month out from sheep I start going low carb and intermittent fasting.This lets me take less food on the hunt while maintaining a fat adapted state where I don’t bonk on long, hard days.

Breakfast:
5 am: Coffee /coconut creamer and MCT powder

11 am: Home packed dehydrated eggs, dehydrated shredded moose and butter powder. Heated up while on a break or glassing.

12-6: Nuts, cheese, Quest chocolate sprinkled doughnut bar : ) Jerky.

Dinner: Home made dehydrated dinner such as moose spaghetti with a low carb/high protein noodle, Chili etc. A heathers choice salmon chowder or two will also make their way in.

Last season this strategy worked really well. Appx 1.2-1.3 lbs per day and I felt fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Powdered butter—buying some of that stuff now. I love that Jason Hairston video on food menu and tried to map out everything religiously for my 2018 sheep hunt, even added a little, but then held over a couple days to get our rams, which proved successful in all ways but food. I was literally starving by the time we left. I was like 11-12% bf going into that hunt and lost 16lbs (and that’s 2days after leaving the field and a couple pizzas and beer).

Being a bigger guy that avoids added sugars makes for interesting task for backcountry menus. Now I just bring as much as I can. If it’s heavy, I don’t care, as long as they let me in the darn plane. Packing for an extended trek in the Sierras last year I learned I could save measurable weight and a fair amount of space repacking all my dehydrated meals. So I will leave 1-2 dinners and breakfasts in their packaging to reuse with the others that are in simple baggies. Luckily I actually really like many of the dehydrated meals, and same for simple oatmeal breakfasts. I bring olive oil packets and add powdered PB to many of the dehydrated meals. Sounds weird but actually good.

Try to bring some good custom trail mix and variety of bars. Think I’ll try to bring some tuna/oil packs, thin bagels, and tortillas this year. But will almost certainly let OCD kick in, painfully pour over the cals/oz, and plan it out as perfectly as I can. Trim weight everywhere I can think, then weigh my pack, and stuff more food anywhere it can.

Super nervous this year as my baby bro is coming up for his first sheep hunt with me. The guy is like 45lbs less than me but eats like 1.5x as much. Hyper metabolism. Trying to keep that guy from eating all my food is going to be the chore—especially with me sneaking rocks into his pack every chance I get.