Sheep Hunt Gear List

Couple of items.

I recommend bringing 2 spare pair of contacts. Keep one in camp and the other in your pack. I did not see a small bar of soap (hotel size), a towel (dry your hands) and hand sanitizer (one in your pack and a larger one in camp). You need to ensure you hands are clean when putting your contacts in and taking them out. Body wipes "wipe" and do not sanitize.

For potentially your feet and other body parts, consider bringing one small bottle of Gold Bonds (yellow; not blue).

I'll go against what others have said about your spotting scope. Bring it if you are inquisitive. You don't want to have to pester the guide to look through his. It also allows you to ask questions (ex: how to field judge) while looking at the sheep. Also comes in handy for taking very nice photos of objects far away.

For your Havalon, you do not need 7 spare blades. Put a new one on before you go and bring 1-2 spares.

Did I read your clothing list properly? Two pair of socks, one pair of liner socks, and one pair of boxers? If so, you may want to bump those quantities up. Contrary to popular belief you can stink up merino wool. How are you planning to dry your socks and boxers if they get wet? Need to be washed?

Bring a book (paperback) and a deck of cards.

Bump up your ammo. You'll typically shoot a few rounds once you get in to check your zero. You can leave the bulk in camp so bring extra. Also, do not rely on the guide to have a scoped rifle. If they have a rifle, it'll usually be for up close and personal bear defense so no scope.

Look at cutting weight for things you carry and wear every day. Then look at what you'll take when you spike out. There is a point where the weight is what it is.

List looks pretty good. I agree on leaving the kelvin active behind. A pack liner seems redundant if you have a pack cover and everything moisture sensitive inside the pack is also in waterproof bags.

The spartan bipods are worth the weight to me but I'd probably shoot off a pack or other improvised rest before packing a harris or similarly weighted bipod.

I wasn't sure about bringing my Kowa 553 but I was very happy with the decision to pack it. Lots of time spent looking at stuff and I didn't have to wait for or ask the guide to dig out his spotter if I ever wanted to look at something. That said, the sirui tripod i used is 12 ounces lighter than my promaster 525 which makes it a bit easier.

This is my gear list from my trip to the Brooks this past season. I'd do it the same again if going back. https://lighterpack.com/r/8ad7dg

Last edited:
OP
Marine4life
Couple of items.

I recommend bringing 2 spare pair of contacts. Keep one in camp and the other in your pack. I did not see a small bar of soap (hotel size), a towel (dry your hands) and hand sanitizer (one in your pack and a larger one in camp). You need to ensure you hands are clean when putting your contacts in and taking them out. Body wipes "wipe" and do not sanitize.

For potentially your feet and other body parts, consider bringing one small bottle of Gold Bonds (yellow; not blue).

I'll go against what others have said about your spotting scope. Bring it if you are inquisitive. You don't want to have to pester the guide to look through his. It also allows you to ask questions (ex: how to field judge) while looking at the sheep. Also comes in handy for taking very nice photos of objects far away.

For your Havalon, you do not need 7 spare blades. Put a new one on before you go and bring 1-2 spares.

Did I read your clothing list properly? Two pair of socks, one pair of liner socks, and one pair of boxers? If so, you may want to bump those quantities up. Contrary to popular belief you can stink up merino wool. How are you planning to dry your socks and boxers if they get wet? Need to be washed?

Bring a book (paperback) and a deck of cards.

Bump up your ammo. You'll typically shoot a few rounds once you get in to check your zero. You can leave the bulk in camp so bring extra. Also, do not rely on the guide to have a scoped rifle. If they have a rifle, it'll usually be for up close and personal bear defense so no scope.

Look at cutting weight for things you carry and wear every day. Then look at what you'll take when you spike out. There is a point where the weight is what it is.

Thanks for the help but I did soap, gold bond and a towel as I consider them luxury items on a backpack hunt. laugh about Some interesting comments so thanks for the advice. I do backpack hunts every year out west an when I was in uniform I have gone over a month at a time without soap In some nasty climates around the world. A little stink won’t hurt me. Comfortable going commando if needed. Lol.

The plan is to not have a base camp and carry everything each day.
I agree with you on the spotting scope and think I would enjoy having.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Marine4life
List looks pretty good. I agree on leaving the kelvin active behind. A pack liner seems redundant if you have a pack cover and everything moisture sensitive inside the pack is also in waterproof bags.

The spartan bipods are worth the weight to me but I'd probably shoot off a pack or other improvised rest before packing a harris or similarly weighted bipod.

I wasn't sure about bringing my Kowa 553 but I was very happy with the decision to pack it. Lots of time spent looking at stuff and I didn't have to wait for or ask the guide to dig out his spotter if I ever wanted to look at something. That said, the sirui tripod i used is 12 ounces lighter than my promaster 525 which makes it a bit easier.

This is my gear list from my trip to the Brooks this past season. I'd do it the same again if going back. https://lighterpack.com/r/8ad7dg

Thanks. I had previously looked thru your gear list. I need to add ear plugs. Our lists are very close in weight considering mine counts 6 lbs of water in the bladder. Another plus on the spotter.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I would leave the Kelvin jacket and 1 t-shirt back at the outfitters with all your travel clothes. Ditch 1 water bottle. I brought sunglasses last year and didn't wear them so they would be downgrades to a maybe. I would plan on another pound for the tent weight. Don't bring a bipod.

An iPhone is not a camera. Go buy an decent camera and take lots of pictures.

Definitely bring the puffy pants. Also add a stocking cap.

Are the Yukon gloves insulated or are those waterproof shell gloves? I like a leather palm glove for brush bashing and climbing through the rocks. Then an insulated waterproof ski glove for glassing. 40 degrees and blowing equals frozen hands so I always go a bit warmer on my gloves.

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
You have trekking poles. Rifle rest needs solved.

There are several ways to use the straps on the poles to makes them into instant shooting sticks. Use your pack as a rear rest.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

Fantastic concept

Glendine

OP
Marine4life
I would leave the Kelvin jacket and 1 t-shirt back at the outfitters with all your travel clothes. Ditch 1 water bottle. I brought sunglasses last year and didn't wear them so they would be downgrades to a maybe. I would plan on another pound for the tent weight. Don't bring a bipod.

An iPhone is not a camera. Go buy an decent camera and take lots of pictures.

Definitely bring the puffy pants. Also add a stocking cap.

Are the Yukon gloves insulated or are those waterproof shell gloves? I like a leather palm glove for brush bashing and climbing through the rocks. Then an insulated waterproof ski glove for glassing. 40 degrees and blowing equals frozen hands so I always go a bit warmer on my gloves.

Yukon’s are insulated and waterproof. I may add in my mechanics or FL shale gloves as well to give me a brush busting/climbing glove. Sitka jet stream beanie is on the list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cbeard64

WKR
An IPhone X has a dual sensor 12MP camera with built in image stabilization and much-improved low-light sensitivity.

Unless you’re after telephoto shots (requiring a very heavy body/lens combo), you will never know the difference.

The main thing though is that a camera is never handy when you need it. Stick your phone on your bino pouch and it is ready for use. The great camera that you rarely have ready when a photo presents itself is of little use.

I get many of you are as much photographers as hunters given the number of photos I see on here, so I understand that others may disagree.
I am a hunter who tries to take some good photos along the way, not a photographer attempting to document my trip for a documentary.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
An IPhone X has a dual sensor 12MP camera with built in image stabilization and much-improved low-light sensitivity.

Unless you’re after telephoto shots (requiring a very heavy body/lens combo), you will never know the difference.

The main thing though is that a camera is never handy when you need it. Stick your phone on your bino pouch and it is ready for use. The great camera that you rarely have ready when a photo presents itself is of little use.

I get many of you are as much photographers as hunters given the number of photos I see on here, so I understand that others may disagree.
I am a hunter who tries to take some good photos along the way, not a photographer attempting to document my trip for a documentary.

I get what you are saying. I also get requests from friends and family to do something with cell phone photos all the time. It's really not fun telling someone that their precious memory is 4X6 quality and that's it. That said, most late model phones will take adequate photos for a smaller photo book.

I keep my camera, a Panasonic ZS100, or a Sony RX100, in a small case on the hip belt of my pack. Occasionally it rides in the elastic band on top of my bino pack (AGC pack). It can't be more handy.

Just my take. I'm not going on this one, so it is up to the OP to decide how the photos will be used later on.

Jeremy

cbeard64

WKR
A 12MP dual sensor camera with image stabilization as found on his iPhone X will produce top quality photos. To say they are only capable of 4x6 detail is mistaken. (One can simply google the info of what a 12MP camera is capable of and find out for themselves.)

I have used my iPhone exclusively on my hunting trips since the cameras reached to 8MP range. I have several up to 16x24 regular and canvas prints on my wall and the detail is striking. Multiple magazine articles have used my photos in stories with full page photos. One article even used one as the opening photo overlaying both open pages.
I own two other DSLR cameras. I have taken them on a couple of hunts. Yes, I have gotten a couple of high quality photos using the zoom capability that I could not have gotten with the iPhone camera. I have been a photographer since we developed our own photos in the darkroom and have become an OK amateur wildlife photographer over the years.
I enjoy my DSLRs as much as anyone but finally decided they were not worth the weight for me.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I vote camera. I think every photo I’ve ever taken on my sheep hunts was with one hand, while my other hand is holding trekking poles, water bottle, clif bar, spotter eye piece etc. A small, easily grabbed camera has a lanyard and fits in the hand well, is waterproof and a battery that lasts a long time. It also stands up by itself on a stack of rocks or a pack for make shift tripod.

Most times I come back with 1200 to 1400 photos from a 10 day hunt. Whip it out, snap a photo and keep on walking.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
as you've already been on your hunt, would like to hear from the OP on what he brought, what he left behind and what he would leave/bring having already been :)

Thanks!

as you've already been on your hunt, would like to hear from the OP on what he brought, what he left behind and what he would leave/bring having already been :)

Thanks!
Great thread that the OP started. Lots of great info

drmatara

FNG
Your list is pretty good, remember to bring a book, don't underestimate how boring it is waiting in your tent for the rain to stop and add super glue to your first aid kit too that will come in handy.

OP
Marine4life

Thanks!

Here is the gear review I posted after the hunt. Hopefully the link works but if not search my call sign and it should come up.

Gear review