Sheep hunt gun recommendation

tdot

WKR
Do you shoot all 3 in field positions or just off a bench? In steep terrain? Weight is only one consideration in a sheep rifle, but how the rifle fits you and how you manage it's recoil is IMO more important. Reliability/durability and scope are the 2 other major considerations.

All things equal, I'd take the 280ai with a fast, slippery bullet. If bears are a consideration then I'd load up 3 bear rounds with some solid copper bullets, for the walk in/out. I'd also take a 300wm if I was seriously concerned about bears.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Echo everything said. If grizzly is on the menu, 300. Otherwise it does not matter. All will work well.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
All three of those would work well. If it was me id take which ever one recoils less. I want to be able to see my shot hit the animal, and where. Or if I miss, to make a correction. I hunt solo and that becomes very important. Even if i have a guide or someone spotting. I still want confirmation with my own eyes of what just occured.

I have a 300 ultra and a 300 norma mag, both with brakes. They still recoil heavy enough to lose my sight picture. I hunt with my 6.5 prc 95% of the time.

I_am_Waz

FNG
I paired my sheep up with Moose and Grizz and so I wanted a caliber that would allow me to hunt all 3 .

I decided on a .300wby with 180gr Barnes TSX custom loads by Hendershots. Knocked a Grizz @ 150 and a once in a lifetime Moose @ 750yds where neither was found 20yds from the initial impact.

Gene

DuckDogDr

WKR
I paired my sheep up with Moose and Grizz and so I wanted a caliber that would allow me to hunt all 3 .

I decided on a .300wby with 180gr Barnes TSX custom loads by Hendershots. Knocked a Grizz @ 150 and a once in a lifetime Moose @ 750yds where neither was found 20yds from the initial impact.

Gene
Gene you lost both animals?

I_am_Waz

FNG
I think he was saying neither animal ran more than 20 yards from point of impact. I noticed he did not mention how the sheep reacted...perhaps that is a given?
Sadly all sheep are safe this evening as we didn’t locate a legal Ram. According to Alaska Fish & Game, The hard 2020/21 winter seemed to take a toll on the sheep in the area I hunted.

Doc’s assessment is correct - bear/moose were successfully recovered within 20yds of impact.

Gene

I killed mine with an 06 and a Leupold 2x7. Dad killed most of his with a 264 model 70 and a K4 weaver, but that was back in the early 60s. Stones and Dalls. Most sheep hunting fails are due to physical conditioning. Looking forward to seeing your pics and reading your report

Jimbob

WKR
I shot my ram at 300 yds with my tikka 30-06 with a Leupold 2-7x

My 12 yr old son shot his ram at 56 yds with a rem 700 .308 with Leupold 2-7x

Last year my buddy shot his ram at 310 yds with his do all BC rifle (Browning 6.8 western with Leupold 4-14)

As a resident buying a $60 tag you don't overthink things as not as much is on the line. Grab your tried and true hunting rifle or the only one you own and go kill a sheep.

Don't get me wrong, rifles are super cool and fun to experiment with but I'm just like Thinhorn_AK, it's not something to scrutinize.

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
I would add shoot the one you shoot the best...without a benchrest.

I shot my dall while lying prone and facing slightly uphill on loose scree. I had to reposition several times because I kept sliding downhill.

From your tagline do you live in Indiana? If so, send me a PM

dogman11

FNG
I'm going on my third sheep hunt this fall if my back surgery next week goes well!!
I took a 6.5 weatherby the first hunt (257 case necked up with 130 graingamekings) I shot a good caribou and passed on some younger rams, but I got bluff charged by a grizzly from 200yds down to 20yds with my finger on the trigger! Move forward 2 years last year I took a 300 PRC with 215 bergers shot a stone at 427 and a goat at 610. If grizzlies are present I'm taking a 30 cal. !!!

Hikein

FNG
I know a lot of you will fling your arrows at me, and take into account this was several years ago. I wanted something very light to pack up the hill in the morning and but to camp in the dark. My Dad loved Kimber of Oregon, so when they started producing decent rifles again out of Yonkers I picked up a Montana in .260 Rem and put 3x9 Swarovski on top. I shot everything with that rifle. Several large muleys, antelope, and a couple spike bulls. It had very respectable 3 shot accuracy. I trusted it and it was light. That’s why I used it when I drew my sheep tag.