Sheep Hunt Mid Layer

Kotaman

WKR
Kotaman,
Do you take a merino bottom layer? I’m taking a pair of puffy pants I think but can’t decide if I need a merino base bottom layer. Gonna wear attack pants. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE,)

Early season I take one pair of Sitka Light weights. Late season I’ll switch to Heavy Weight or merino.

keller

WKR
last year was my first sheep hunt ak sheep opener aug 10 I started up the mountain wearing sitka lw hoody and 200 weight midlayer didn't go very far stopped shedded the midlayer and kept going.the hood on the baselayer was nice for both cutting the cool temp and sun exposure.the only time a midlayer came out is when we stopped.if I did it again I would take my lw hoody and superdown jacket which is wind proof.i see no need to pack an extra midweight unless maybe your busting brush and need something durable.best of luck on your hunt.

kipper09

WKR
I was gonna go with an aerowool 150 short sleeve, peleton 97, and Kifaru LPP. I think that should cover everything? I’m going August opener in Alaska. Bottoms I’m taking attack’s and first lite aerowool I’m pretty sure.

OP
aaron14

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Kotaman,
Do you take a merino bottom layer? I’m taking a pair of puffy pants I think but can’t decide if I need a merino base bottom layer. Gonna wear attack pants. Thanks

I brought Black Ovis 250 merino bottoms last year and wore them quite a bit. Every night in the sleeping bag, couple days when it was cooler ( around 30F), and a day or two when we did a lot of hiking in the rain so I kept my regular pants in the pack and just wore the merino bottoms and rain pants.

Interesting takes.

I was planning on the following for the first week in brooks range this season:

FL aerowool SS against skin
Sitka core LW hoody
Patagonia houdini windshirt if needed to cut wind
Sitka core heavyweight half zip or Patagonia r1
Nunatak PCT jacket (3.6 ounce apex insulation)
Sitka Dewpoint Jacket

Bottom:
FL boxers
Kuiu peloton 130 zip offs (likely only see sleeping duty)
Kryptec tora pants
Nunatak Skaha 3.6 apex puffy pants.
Arcteryx Alpha rain pants

This seems in line with what people have been happy with but it seems like some aren’t needing the mid weight fleece. Are people using them so little that they are worth leaving behind? I figured it would be nice to have as dry sleep wear if nothing else.

Other question- is it worth having a second light next to skin t?

Last edited:
This may sound nuts...but use light weight merino base under a Core light weight hoody.

Are you talking about something like a Kuiu 125 merino long sleeve for the base merino? Or do you prefer a short sleeve in this scenario?