Sheep Hunt Mid Layer

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
What does everyone use for a mid layer on their sheep hunt? I'm going to the Northwest Territories in August. This will be my second hunt. Last year I used a KUIU Peloton 200 Hoodie as my second layer, with a First Lite Wick 150 crew long sleeve as my base, and a KUIU merino 125 short sleeve as a backup. The Peloton was nice, but always seemed to be too warm to hike in (I think I hiked in it once over the 10 day hunt) and never enough when stationary so I would always have to throw my Super Down on over. I also never ended up wearing the short sleeve.

Next year I'm considering just bringing the FL 150 long sleeve and a Kiln 250 Hoodie as a second layer/backup base layer, then bringing a heavier mid layer such as a Sitka Kelvin Active or First Lite Sawtooth. Thoughts on this? Any other options I should look at?

kipper09

WKR
I have never been sheep hunting. But I had the same concerns you speak of. So I have decided I’m taking aerowool base layer, arcteryx naga hoody and kuiu peloton 240 vest. I think they naga hoody may be too heavy if hiking hard and long. So I’m thinking I can go with the aerowool bottom layer then wear the peloton vest over it, without the hoody. Keep core warm but not fully contain my upper body if that makes sense. And if it’s a little cooler I can wear the naga hoody and throw the vest in the pack. It weighs like 8 ounces or something. Pretty minuscule for an added layer I believe. But I could be totally wrong haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Early or late August? Big difference.

I don’t know what a peloton 200 is, but I want my mid layer to be fleece, grid fleece is nice. Big zippers for venting help with the hot times. A hood helps with cold and/or buggy times.

Fleece is cheap, warm for the weight, dries fast from sweat or wet veg and takes a beating if bush whacking. It’s rare I hike in mine in August but it has happened.

Last edited:
Most of the regular sheep/goat hunters I know use a 200 wt fleece from almost any brand. Cheap, tough, and breath well. They are rarely hiked in, but very frequently used glassing or in camp.

I've used Polartech Alpha (i.e similar to the Sitka Active) quite a bit too. It's great stuff, but the sweet spot for that is high excursion late season and wintertime activities. It is overkill as an August mid layer but not warm enough IMO to really replace a puffy for sitting out a storm.

bates

WKR
I ran 97 peleton and Sitka core long sleeve

It was perfect for me. This was Alaska in August. 200 would of been way to heavy.

When I go back. I’ll take them again
Super down pro for puffy. Unless it’s just calling for tons of rain

Probably take 200 first lite as extra shirt

And call it good with that

I also carried a 240 peleton zip hoodie but never used it

duchntr

WKR
My first couple sheep hunts I packed extra layers and found I didn't really need or use them. Now I use a 150 aero wool(next to skin), windbreaker (Patagonia Houdini), puffy and a rainshell. I bring nothing else except for some lightweight merino long johns. 90% of the time while moving ill just where my base layer, if I stop Ill put my puffy on, when it gets cold Ill hike with my windbreaker. It wouldn't hurt to bring a lightweight fleece layer though. Good luck on your hunt, the countdown is on!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
My first couple sheep hunts I packed extra layers and found I didn't really need or use them. Now I use a 150 aero wool(next to skin), windbreaker (Patagonia Houdini), puffy and a rainshell. I bring nothing else except for some lightweight merino long johns. 90% of the time while moving ill just where my base layer, if I stop Ill put my puffy on, when it gets cold Ill hike with my windbreaker. It wouldn't hurt to bring a lightweight fleece layer though. Good luck on your hunt, the countdown is on!

This is exactly my system for backpack hunts too. Merino t shirt, merino long sleeve, windshirt to cut the breeze hiking, puffy and rainshell. Ideally the puffy will fit under the rainshell, although it's very rare for me to actually hike in the puffy.

I will say I have been wearing my Sitka Core heavyweight hoody a lot the last two seasons, but that's usually been hunting from a base camp and in flatter terrain with more stops (hunting with a baby/toddler changes the game). I think it would be too hot for uphill hiking for sheep, and probably not worth the weight unless it was really cold.

NWT Early August I ran merino 125 SS base with Peleton 97 hoodie mid layer. From there I wore Peleton 240 Zip, Puffy, Rain Shell. This was a horseback hunt so that is when I wore the 240 the most and usually left in the saddle bag. If strictly backpacking I'd run the 125 SS or LS later in the season, Peleton 97, Puffy and rain shell. When hiking I usually had just the SS and 97 on. I took a merino 210 as well as a guide vest. Neither got much wear and won't make the next trip. Good luck and post up a report when you return.

OP
aaron14

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the responses. I like the windbreaker idea. Last fall it was last week of August into first week of September and I believe this year will be the same (I'm a cameraman so I don't set the date). Can't wait to get back into the mountains!

kipper09

WKR
I’m actually considering dropping my arcteryx naga fleece after reading this thread. I’m thinking about aerowool top, free fly apparel midweight hoody, (which is pretty light), kuiu peloton 240 vest and lost park parka. I can see where a midweight fleece would get bypassed a lot. It’s probably pretty heavy for hiking. Not sure what to do now

ljalberta

WKR
I skip the mid layer for early season sheep hunts (Late August - Early September in Alberta). Merino Longsleeve/Puffy/Rain Jacket. Windshirts sound intriguing but I haven't had an opportunity to try one.

LitenFast

WKR
Last year I was in Northern Brooks Range early August.

Wore aerowool long sleeve then FL halstead grid fleece, and a lot of times it was actually cold enough to wear my OR ferossi too even when hiking. Then had Lost Park Parka for glassing, there were days when I was glad I had all that and my puffy pants.

This year I am planning on swapping halstead for my Patagoinia r1 hoody. I am on a float hunt again so have the option of extra gear at the river and will bring Ferossi and also a super light down anorak and make a game time decision when leaving the river.

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
Merino 125 SS + Peloton 97 5oz (this combines for a good baselayer)
Super down Ultra
Chugach Rain shell

No midlayer needed. Hiking it will be too hot. Glassing it will leave you wanting more. The 97 weighs nothing and is ultra versatile and breathable, perfect for the tough hikes in the brisk morning or late evening.

kipper09

WKR
The peleton 97 is out of stock. I’m looking and seeing their mountain fit hoodie looks exactly the same.. Can anybody confirm if they are the same or different?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Swazi makes a 140 weight fleece hoody that looks like it would be a better choice instead of a true midweight layer. Merino, that Swazi, puffy, rain shell. Seems like that would cover a pretty wide spectrum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
The peleton 97 is out of stock. I’m looking and seeing their mountain fit hoodie looks exactly the same.. Can anybody confirm if they are the same or different?

Same shirt...I have both.

My early sheep system:

*First Lite SS Tee/Sitka Synthetic Tee
*Sitka LS Tee
*Peloton 97 or Sitka Apex Hoodies or both (I like having a dry hoodie in the tent.)
*Sitka Apex Pant
*First Lite Brooks Puffy
*Sitka Celsius Rain Gear

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
This may sound nuts...but use light weight merino base under a Core light weight hoody.

kipper09

WKR
Same shirt...I have both.

My early sheep system:

*First Lite SS Tee/Sitka Synthetic Tee
*Sitka LS Tee
*Peloton 97 or Sitka Apex Hoodies or both (I like having a dry hoodie in the tent.)
*Sitka Apex Pant
*First Lite Brooks Puffy
*Sitka Celsius Rain Gear

Kotaman,
Do you take a merino bottom layer? I’m taking a pair of puffy pants I think but can’t decide if I need a merino base bottom layer. Gonna wear attack pants. Thanks