Sheep hunt rookie needs advice

I’m taking the plunge and going sheep hunting in the NWT in the beginning of August. I’ve never done any kind of backpack hunt before and I don’t have people in my circle that have either, so I need some help and advice from people with experience.

Boots- I decided to go the custom route and try the Lanthrop and sons. The measuring kit should be here next week. Hoping this is the best route to take?

Gun- I have a 7mm Rem 700 long range with a 5x20 scope. I love this gun and it shoots great, with no wind I have full confidence out to ~600 yards. The problem is that it is huge and heavy. Not sure if I would be crazy to pack that big thing for this hunt, but I know when it comes time to make a shot I will have full confidence in that gun.

clothing- did some buying on Black Friday/cyber Monday and got the Sitka thunderhead jacket and pant (for rain gear and wearing). Kuiu pro down jacket (black). Kuiu attack pant. Kuiu stalker 500 back pack. What else if anything do I need?

optics- have swaro 10x42 el range and swaro stx with 65 and 95 objectives. Need a Bino harness, thinking KUIU pro. Not sure if I should bring spotter with big or small objective or not bring it at all?

pack- don’t have one, thinking Kuiu pro series, not sure what size. Open to suggestions. I will need a sleeping bag and pad too

luggage- not sure what to do here, would like to bring Sheep and possibly caribou (if I get one) back with me if possible.
I have some things I need to get bought and obviously want to be as cost efficient as possible.

I’m open to any and all advice and suggestions so please share what you know o
and feel free to ask any other questions.

PNWGATOR

WKR
You’re in the right place. Lots of VERY experienced mountain hunters here.

Please, don’t be in a hurry to make a bad decision. Take your time and do your due diligence with gear.

OP
P
Since it’s guided, you won’t need to bring a spotter. I can’t stand Kuiu packs. I prefer Kifaru 1st then Stone Glacier. I’ve got those same boots, I really like them. That gun might be heavy, but if you shoot it good, it’s worth the extra weight. Do you get a guide and a packer?
Guide yes, I won’t use a packer though.

I don’t have any experience with a sheep hunt since my first isn’t until Aug - AK for a Dall. I will say last year I did the L&S custom boot fitting after having blister problems with several top brands and after spending 3 weeks chasing mule deer and elk in the high country I was very pleased and very confident these will serve me well on my sheep hunt. Best of luck. I am going thru many of the same questions you have and everyone on here has been helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
There are some sheep hunt gear list threads on here that you should search out. I'm not a Kuiu pack fan either. I know a few people who have snapped load lifter stays or had other issues. Kifaru and Stone Glacier packs are solid. Get a big pack, 6,500 plus with a big main compartment.

I'm not a fan of heavy rifles but as long as it's not a 12 lbs boat anchor you'll probably be just fine.

Get your boots well broken in and learn where the problem areas are can develop on your feet. Even with great fitting boots a long side hill under a heavy pack will multiply that minor hot spot you noticed during training hikes. Knowing your feet and pretreating with a little Luko tape will keep you going strong.

For a sleeping bag I like a 15-20 degree. I ran a 15 degree Marmot Helium down bag for 10 years but this year went with a Enlightened 10 degree coated down quilt. I like down and have never had any issues but my sheep partner won't touch down. So it's a bit of preference. I run an REI Flash insulated pad for the weight and the cost, 16 oz and $100. There a a few options out there at or under a pound. My suggestion would be something with a little insulation.

Good rain gear is a must. The rest of your clothing can be any mix of synthetic or merino. Don't get carried away spending big money on top name brand pants and layers. The high priced Sitka gear typically doesn't do any better than the clothing from the general active wear companies. You just don't get the fancy camo pattern.

Several threads here on sheep hunting gear lists.
use the search Function or just start scrolling (several pages may be necessary).

lots of other posts that will help you along your path.

what’s your gun weigh? I’m guessing 10#+ anyway. If so, you have plenty of time between now and then to get comfortable with a new (or a good used one from classified here Or the like) rifle that could save you 3#+. Would make a huge difference. I picked up a usedKimber Montana in 280ai off gunbroker that I absolutely love. Gun, scope and fully loaded it comes in at 6.62# and shoots factory Hornady PH ammo to 1/2” 100yd groups.

I say all that because if you read enough on here, you’ll read “ounces = pounds = pain”

If you are wanting to play a very active role in your hunt, bring your STX 65. I brought mine on my hunt and am glad I did. First, I hate to constantly ask permission for a look. Second, everyone's eyes are different; what is clear to me may be blurry to you. Third, people move crap accidentally and you have to re-acquire the target. Fourth, accidents do happen but I do not want to be on the hook for accidentally damaging another person's optics. Fifth, the STX 65 will probably better than what your guide has just like your ELs.

For weight savings, focus on what you will be carrying/wearing daily. Then if time and budget permits, focus on those items that will also go with you if you spike out. Only do what you have to for all other items to come in at the typical 50 pound weight limit (assuming Super Cub). At some point, the weight is what it is.

Wapiti1

WKR
I'll add that a straight tube spotter is a PITA (or neck) to use while spotting uphill a lot. You will also need a tirpod which adds another 3-5lbs. I'd skip it if they have good equipment. I only take my spotter if it is better than theirs, and we still only pack one. If you take an angled spotter, you don't need a tripod. Food for thought.

Don't overlook Mystery Ranch, EXO, and Seek for packs. Or even the Barney's frame pack. These, the Kifaru and Stone Glacier are proven tough packs. Pack fit is important, so learn how to adust it for you, and be willing to move on if it never feels right. Pack fit is equal to boot fit, IMO. If it works out, you will pack 100+lbs out and a good fitting pack makes this task so much nicer. The absolute min size is 6500 cu-in. Bigger is better.

Rifle choice is up to you, but you have to carry it. Not sure you will notice an 8lb rifle over a 10 since it will be strapped to the pack most of the time. You don't need more than a 3-9, or fixed 6 power scope. You're not trying to find them in the shade of timber or brush, they tend to be out in the open.

Practice off of your pack at the range. Practice using trekking poles as a rest. Practice in odd positions and after doing 30 jumping jacks. You might have all day to shoot. You might have 10 seconds after you just finished a 1500 foot climb.

Learn about how to prevent blisters. Luekotape is your best friend.

Jeremy

Different outfitters offer different kinds of hunts. I would consult with your outfitter first on what they recommend for a gear list and then do research on the gear they recommend and how others have used it.

Get a fitness plan together and start tomorrow. You can continue to figure out gear through the summer. The best gear will not help you if you are gassed after two days.

Last edited:
Sheep guide here, worked in AB, BC AND YK. You going heli assisted or straight hiking? I'd like a 7lb gun all up, be ready to shoot out to 500 but in 20 odd sheep I've never had to go past 420. A gun you're comfortable and quick with AND can shoot from something other than prone with would be my choice.
Ask your outfitter about avg distance-- mine over my career is around 200 yards, it's not as long a range game as you'd think.

Bring the spotter, but be ready to leave it behind if the guides is better. If heli assisted, bring both but if not, ones fine.
My personal sheep gun is a 5lb, 20"bbl .243 if that changes anything. Sheep die easy.

Final word. Cardio. Cardio. Cardio.

My personal sheep gun is a 5lb, 20"bbl .243 if that changes anything. Sheep die easy.

I would love to bring one of my 243s, both are very compact and light weight. But I am planning on getting a grizzly tag as well for my first sheep hunt in August so will be carrying the 300 WSM.

Yeah, fair. Probably close half of my lifetime clients have been packing some variety of .300. If I were going for a grizzly sheep combo, I'd screw on the .284 win bbl on to that .243 and call it good. Interior Grizzlies
I've guided arent huge, I'd consider em same class game as elk. Hit properly they go down easy, hit bad, they can be a challenge.

OP
P
Sheep guide here, worked in AB, BC AND YK. You going heli assisted or straight hiking? I'd like a 7lb gun all up, be ready to shoot out to 500 but in 20 odd sheep I've never had to go past 420. A gun you're comfortable and quick with AND can shoot from something other than prone with would be my choice.
Ask your outfitter about avg distance-- mine over my career is around 200 yards, it's not as long a range game as you'd think.

Bring the spotter, but be ready to leave it behind if the guides is better. If heli assisted, bring both but if not, ones fine.

The outfitter does have a helicopter, BUT I told him I wanted to go places most humans don’t go and find sheep that people haven’t seen. I want my butt kicked, I don’t want anything easy, I’m looking forward to the adventure.

Jimss

WKR
Don't forget trekking poles! They are a lifesaver in sheep terrain.

I would definitely steer clear of Kuiu backpacks. The best on the market are Kifaru or Stone Glacier.

I would be lost without a spotting scope! I would go nuts not being able to watch and field judge rams....that's half the fun of hunting! Your smaller spotter objective ought to be perfect.

Western Mountaineering sleeping bags are the best on the market. I would get a down bag with waterproof/resistant outer. Keep it inside a super light, quality dry bag. I really like Neoair pads. Some people say they are a little noisy but I sleep like a baby and it's super light, compact, and comfortable!

I bring layers. Some you don't have on your list are: neck gator, vest, long johns, and gloves. I have a pair of super light/thin pair of windstopper, gortex gloves that are amazing...not sure of the brand.

I have a large gun case on rollers....nice for airports! I gut the foam and place all my clothes around my rifle. Also plenty of room for trekking poles and other gear.

tdot

WKR
The outfitter does have a helicopter, BUT I told him I wanted to go places most humans don’t go and find sheep that people haven’t seen. I want my butt kicked, I don’t want anything easy, I’m looking forward to the adventure.

If you've never backpacked before have you atleast been mountain climbing or mountaineering? Ever been on a mountain peak?

I grew up in the mountains, I spent alot of days climbing and descending them. But I now live at sea level and the local mountains, while gnarly, are only 7,000 - 8,000 feet at the most. I get rocked every time I head into the Rockies now.

It's really easy to have your but kicked in the mountains... be careful of what you wish for :)

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I upgraded my entire sleep system last year after getting my ass kicked in 2018. I went with a western mountaineering badger and an exped sleeping pad.

both of those purchases are awesome and I’d highly recommend both western mountaineering and exped. I’d always bought mid range down bags from marmot and north face etc and never saw the point to spending big $$$ on a bag but that badger is one of my favorite pieces of gear, I can actually roll around in it and the microfiber shell does a great job at keeping water out I spent a few nights under an open shelter during moose season this year and one morning after it had rained all night I woke up with a bunch of water dripping on my bag, the shell seemed wet but the bag was dry on the inside and the down was dry as well.

the exped pad is the most comfortable I’ve used and seems to be plenty warm enough although I havnt had it out in super cold temperatures.

I don’t know that I’d haul that big heavy rifle around the mountains, if I were you, I’d probably just put together a decent mountain rifle and use that, maybe a tikka or a kimber with a 3-9 or 3-10 optic on it in a short action cartridge and call it my sheep gun.

Backpacks are a big investment but they make a huge difference. Can’t go wrong with kifaru or stone glacier as others have said.

I think it was mentioned earlier but I’d start getting in shape right away, in the winter most of my workouts are indoors so I’m doing a lot of jump rope (highly under rated exercise), kettlebell, weights etc and I try to do a decent of ski mountaineering all winter. Once the snow is gone I start hiking with the pack and doing overnights carrying all my gear that I plan to use.

fatbacks

WKR
I’d shoot for a sub 7 lb scoped rifle for a longer sheep hunt. I’ve hunted sheep quite a bit and feel that I am a better hunter with a super light rifle on extended (week or longer) hunts. I’ve carried heavier rifles on shorter mountain hunts but carrying a heavy rifle for 7-10 days in the mountains will get old.