Sheep hunt rookie needs advice

OP
P
Several threads here on sheep hunting gear lists.
use the search Function or just start scrolling (several pages may be necessary).

lots of other posts that will help you along your path.

what’s your gun weigh? I’m guessing 10#+ anyway. If so, you have plenty of time between now and then to get comfortable with a new (or a good used one from classified here Or the like) rifle that could save you 3#+. Would make a huge difference. I picked up a usedKimber Montana in 280ai off gunbroker that I absolutely love. Gun, scope and fully loaded it comes in at 6.62# and shoots factory Hornady PH ammo to 1/2” 100yd groups.

I say all that because if you read enough on here, you’ll read “ounces = pounds = pain”
Weighed the gun, it’s 12 lbs. Guessing I need a new gun now. Dang.

keller

WKR
I carried a 9.5 lb gun on my sheep hunt and it became more noticeable the longer I carried it.good time for a new gun.

OP
P
Don't forget trekking poles! They are a lifesaver in sheep terrain.

I would definitely steer clear of Kuiu backpacks. The best on the market are Kifaru or Stone Glacier.

I would be lost without a spotting scope! I would go nuts not being able to watch and field judge rams....that's half the fun of hunting! Your smaller spotter objective ought to be perfect.

Western Mountaineering sleeping bags are the best on the market. I would get a down bag with waterproof/resistant outer. Keep it inside a super light, quality dry bag. I really like Neoair pads. Some people say they are a little noisy but I sleep like a baby and it's super light, compact, and comfortable!

I bring layers. Some you don't have on your list are: neck gator, vest, long johns, and gloves. I have a pair of super light/thin pair of windstopper, gortex gloves that are amazing...not sure of the brand.

I have a large gun case on rollers....nice for airports! I gut the foam and place all my clothes around my rifle. Also plenty of room for trekking poles and other gear.
Good call on the scope, I definitely want to be looking at everything. Thanks for the other advice as well, thanks to everybody.

Only been on two sheep hunts so I am not a pro. One was mine the other was my friends. All of the weight adds up double at alltitude! Not sure what you will be hunting at but I live at 6k and anything at 11k makes a big difference . Keep everything as light as you can! Your rifle too! Less weight will make you a more happy hunter!

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Weighed the gun, it’s 12 lbs. Guessing I need a new gun now. Dang.
Ya, that rifle needs to stay home. A few days into the hunt you'll be hating that weight. My mountain rifles are all right at 7.5 lbs with scopes and slings. I don't think I'm smooth enough on the trigger to be accurate with anything much lighter.

Glad someone mentioned trekking poles. Trekking poles are a MUST!

Jimss

WKR
I would definitely consider a lighter rifle. I bit the bullet on my first dall sheep hunt and bought a Sako Finnlight. The rifle plus scope is close to 7.5 lbs.

Wapiti1

WKR
If you also take a spotter, you'll really want to drop other weight somewhere. It might as well be in your rifle.

Jeremy

My EXO k2 pack treated me well this season. Had it out on a sheep hunt, elk hunt, multiple deer and bear hunts too. I'd give them a look. I'm not overly impressed with their rifle holder, I would look at a different product if I were to purchase again.

As others have said, get out there hiking, spend some time out in the field becoming familiar with your gear. That will make it less painful when its go time.

Take some packets of drink mix to put in your water bottle. Weighs nothing. The water up there coming out of the mountain springs is the best water I have ever had, but it's nice to change it up and have some flavor here and there. The electrolytes will be good for ya too.
a4c3ba924118e488b41e2b0bc6e62c9a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yea you gonna want something different in the rifle department.
I kept an eye out and picked up a Kimber Montana in 280ai off gunbroker for $925. Added a Vortex Razor LH 3-15x44 (16.5oz). Fully loaded it weighs 6.62#.

as far as spotter goes, I’m taking one of my own. I’ll just have to eat that extra 5-8#.

I would try and practice as much as you can at 400-500 yards not off a bench. Either a pack or something to try and stimulate hunting shots. Hopefully you’ll have a closer shot, but you need to send a few boxes at those ranges just for practice. You don’t want the 1st time you shoot at 500 yards to be on a $30,000 sheep. Especially if you’re getting a lighter rifle, which sounds like a good idea.

You can't be in good enough shape. The better shape your in the better your odds, practice shooting as far as you can never know when that might make the difference. Shed as much pack weight as you can lots of good threads on that. Talk with your outfitter more importantly your guide about spotters, shot distance, and other suggestions those guys will know best. Ask for references successful and not and call them. Oh and you can't be in to good of shape.

idig4au

WKR
Some good advise here. I'll chime in on a few comments based on my experiences backpack mt hunting up north and elsewhere.
  • As mentioned, Oz = lbs = pain. Don't forget that! For a 10 day hunt, with gun and food, target 50 lbs total as a respectable benchmark.
  • Surprised nobody mentioned food to any real extent. This is where most of your weight is in a backpack hunt. Plan on bringing your own and dial this in so you don't carry any more than what you need. Outfitters will usually supply freeze dried and basics like candy bars and trail mix. This gets old quickly after a few days on the mountain. I usually fly up with all my food less freeze dried breakfast and dinners as I let the outfitter supply that. This will save a few dollars and weight while flying up there. I've found that around 1.75 lbs of food per day is a good fit for me. Target minimum 100 to 120 calories per ounce. I bring string cheese, jerky, corn chips, trail mix, protein bars and etc. I'll even bring some salmon or tuna packs as real food tastes amazing after a few days. Prepare food packs with all snacks and etc in separate in daily portions in zip lock bags.. I usually pack my food into two different 20L dry sacks. All my freeze dried goes in one dry sack and my daily snack bags go into another dry sack. For me, this helps with organization in my pack and pulling out what I need for the day.
  • Bring your spotter in your carry on luggage but plan on leaving it behind if guide has similar or better glass. Most sheep guides have tier 1 glass these days. There is no reason to pack an extra 5-6 lbs of optics and that weight will add up after multiple days if you're not accustomed to backpack hunting. I would rather ask for permission to use the guide's spotter than pack the extra weight. Any any good guide will want you looking through his/her spotter at sheep anyway. Of course bring your own bino's.
  • Can't stress enough about boots. This will make or break your hunt. I prefer a stiffer mountaineering boot with a good rocker for backpack hunting and carrying a load. And tape up your heels with Leukotape as a precaution against blisters. Keep your feet dry as possible also helps. Also bring some camp shoes as worth the extra weight and allows your feet to recover when setting up for the night.
  • Backpacks. As others mentioned, Kifaru is recommended. No experience with stone glacier but they come highly rated. I would go as big as possible. I use 7800 to 8000 size packs. Make sure you put all your gear in dry sacks and have a backpack cover.
  • A 12lb rifle will add up over the duration of a hunt. I would look at something sub 8 lb range if you can afford to get a new rifle. 300 WSM is a fantastic all round mountain caliber. NA sheep are not hard to kill and a good guide will get you in close for an ethical shot. I haven't shot a NA sheep over 300 yards. Don't need a long range rifle for backpack sheep hunting.
  • You don't need a lot of clothes. Its a backpack sheep hunt. Expect to stink. I switch between synthetic and merino, but I've gone mostly synthetic now as its more comfortable for me. The Sitka synthetics have good odor control and is my preference. I usually take 2x extra socks, an extra pair of synthetic boxers, set of base layers, and one or two mid layers tops at the most for layering. Leave the soft shell jacket at home. Also bring full set of puffy insulating layer and hard shell. Also bring clothes for back at camp for prior and after the hunt.
  • If doing a late up up north, say starting last week of August, I will bring a 0 degree bag. Prior to that, will use a 15 degree bag. I like the Kuiu bags personally and have had no issues with their performance. A good sleeping pad is the neoair x-lite
  • Depending on how cozy you want to be with you guide, might want to consider bringing your own tent. It spreads out the stink at night or if you get weathered in. Nice to have personal space as well.
Hope this helps some. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Hi there

I live in bc and did a big 10 day trip last year. I use Hanwag boots and they work well I broken them in for 6 months to be sure. Mystery ranch Marshall pack has worked well for us and has great customer service. Trekking poles are a must for me coming down hill loaded. We all used thin glove when hiking really save your hands on the rocks and bush. We worked out hard for a year and still could of been in better shape. The better shape you are in the more you will enjoy it. Make sure to get your new pack broke in and your shoulders use to carrying weight. Good luck

Some very good advice thus far.

Boots - w/ L&S you’re in very good hands. I have several pair and love them. Use Leukotape anywhere you might get blisters - especially on back of heel on first mountain hike while breaking them in.

Sleep System - Kuiu, Western Mountaineering, or other high quality down bag with Neoair or Big Agnes pad. Not a good decision to try to save money here.

Rifle - personally, I don’t like anything over 8lbs fully rigged with scope and a full magazine for a sheep or goat hunt. It isn’t what I can handle leaving camp - more about what’s making me hate myself after lugging it all day in the mountains. If worried about money, the Tikkas get a lot of praise on this site for being reliability accurate and light.

Clothes - Kuiu, Sitka, Krytek, and all of the major brands make great layering pieces. The Kuiu Attack Pants you bought are my personal favorite - layering is key. Personally like thin wool base layer, and I always bring a down puffy jacket for insulation. The temperature in the Mackenzies can vary a lot, but the great news is it doesn’t rain nearly as much there as in Alaska or Kamchatka. But bombproof raingear and gaiters are still an absolute must - all vegetation will be sopping wet every morning.

Optics - Swarovski ELs will be a fine glass but if hunting with a quality outfitter they usually have very good spotting scopes. Noticed that when folks bring them they might make it up the mountain once or twice but usually end up staying in camp.

Electronics - I like Black Diamond headlamps, Olight Flashlights, Garmin InReach Mini, and a 20,000 Mah battery pack. Keep the cell phone on “airplane mode” and it lasts much longer.

Trekking Poles, camp shoes, wet wipes, Cyprofloaxcin, Ibuprofen, Neosporin, Moleskin and Leukotape. A paperback novel (in case it rains).

And as folks have said - the mountain will eventually wear everyone down, so I always work as much cardio, leg, and core strength as I can. Noticed the better shape I’m in the more I enjoy sheep hunting.

Last edited:

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
I also went on my first sheep hunt this past summer (northern BC) and definitely can echo most of what others have posted above.

Try to get a bunch of weekend “test” trips with all the gear you want to bring before hand. Really helps decide if you really need something or if it is just a want item prior to being way back in the mountains with no place to ditch excess kit.
If you are going with other folks I would say try to split the kit up as much as possible - again the spotters etc. I went solo so had no choice but to pack it all.

For the rifle; again you are with other people so not a big deal as far as worrying about bears, solo it is a bit more of a concern. I just brought my 30-06 for sheep with Hornady 178gr ELD’s and then had a mag in the rifle of 220gr Interlocks as my hiking ammo. Not the best round for bear but better than nothing and made the rifle dual-purpose in my case.

Good cardio paired with broken in boots will go a lot further than any lightweight piece of gear. That and a good sleep (quality pad and sleeping bag) will help you enjoy your trip more than worrying about what brand or weight it is!

32F31E5F-8C0A-4C13-99A4-952351739458.jpeg

If you've never backpacked before have you atleast been mountain climbing or mountaineering? Ever been on a mountain peak?

I grew up in the mountains, I spent alot of days climbing and descending them. But I now live at sea level and the local mountains, while gnarly, are only 7,000 - 8,000 feet at the most. I get rocked every time I head into the Rockies now.

It's really easy to have your but kicked in the mountains... be careful of what you wish for :)
Don.t be discouraged by this.... be inspired !!!!! Train harder !!!!!

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
Some good advise here. I'll chime in on a few comments based on my experiences backpack mt hunting up north and elsewhere.
  • As mentioned, Oz = lbs = pain. Don't forget that! For a 10 day hunt, with gun and food, target 50 lbs total as a respectable benchmark.
  • Surprised nobody mentioned food to any real extent. This is where most of your weight is in a backpack hunt. Plan on bringing your own and dial this in so you don't carry any more than what you need. Outfitters will usually supply freeze dried and basics like candy bars and trail mix. This gets old quickly after a few days on the mountain. I usually fly up with all my food less freeze dried breakfast and dinners as I let the outfitter supply that. This will save a few dollars and weight while flying up there. I've found that around 1.75 lbs of food per day is a good fit for me. Target minimum 100 to 120 calories per ounce. I bring string cheese, jerky, corn chips, trail mix, protein bars and etc. I'll even bring some salmon or tuna packs as real food tastes amazing after a few days. Prepare food packs with all snacks and etc in separate in daily portions in zip lock bags.. I usually pack my food into two different 20L dry sacks. All my freeze dried goes in one dry sack and my daily snack bags go into another dry sack. For me, this helps with organization in my pack and pulling out what I need for the day.
  • Bring your spotter in your carry on luggage but plan on leaving it behind if guide has similar or better glass. Most sheep guides have tier 1 glass these days. There is no reason to pack an extra 5-6 lbs of optics and that weight will add up after multiple days if you're not accustomed to backpack hunting. I would rather ask for permission to use the guide's spotter than pack the extra weight. Any any good guide will want you looking through his/her spotter at sheep anyway. Of course bring your own bino's.
  • Can't stress enough about boots. This will make or break your hunt. I prefer a stiffer mountaineering boot with a good rocker for backpack hunting and carrying a load. And tape up your heels with Leukotape as a precaution against blisters. Keep your feet dry as possible also helps. Also bring some camp shoes as worth the extra weight and allows your feet to recover when setting up for the night.
  • Backpacks. As others mentioned, Kifaru is recommended. No experience with stone glacier but they come highly rated. I would go as big as possible. I use 7800 to 8000 size packs. Make sure you put all your gear in dry sacks and have a backpack cover.
  • A 12lb rifle will add up over the duration of a hunt. I would look at something sub 8 lb range if you can afford to get a new rifle. 300 WSM is a fantastic all round mountain caliber. NA sheep are not hard to kill and a good guide will get you in close for an ethical shot. I haven't shot a NA sheep over 300 yards. Don't need a long range rifle for backpack sheep hunting.
  • You don't need a lot of clothes. Its a backpack sheep hunt. Expect to stink. I switch between synthetic and merino, but I've gone mostly synthetic now as its more comfortable for me. The Sitka synthetics have good odor control and is my preference. I usually take 2x extra socks, an extra pair of synthetic boxers, set of base layers, and one or two mid layers tops at the most for layering. Leave the soft shell jacket at home. Also bring full set of puffy insulating layer and hard shell. Also bring clothes for back at camp for prior and after the hunt.
  • If doing a late up up north, say starting last week of August, I will bring a 0 degree bag. Prior to that, will use a 15 degree bag. I like the Kuiu bags personally and have had no issues with their performance. A good sleeping pad is the neoair x-lite
  • Depending on how cozy you want to be with you guide, might want to consider bringing your own tent. It spreads out the stink at night or if you get weathered in. Nice to have personal space as well.
Hope this helps some. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions

Excellent post

Regards,
Glendine

tdot

WKR
Don.t be discouraged by this.... be inspired !!!!! Train harder !!!!!

Lol. Thanks. Can definitely never train enough.

But it was meant as a bit more of a cautionary post, as opposed to to trying discourage. I live close to Whistler and the surrounding backcountry, and in the last 20 years I've been apart of way too many rescue/missions to help people who had no idea what the mountains are all about. Crossfit has made the backcountry semi-dangerous around here. Amazing the number of people who head out, looking for an a** kicking and dont realize the mountains can always hand out more then any gym trainer, and you can't just stop when you want to.

I dont look at the pain suffered in the mountains as an a** kicking, it is simply part of being in the mountains. No more, no less. When I hear people talk about it like that is the challenge, I just get a little cautious.