Sheep hunt rookie needs advice

Shawstr

FNG
The outfitter does have a helicopter, BUT I told him I wanted to go places most humans don’t go and find sheep that people haven’t seen. I want my butt kicked, I don’t want anything easy, I’m looking forward to the adventure.

what outfitter ? I work for Stan Stevens

I also went on my first sheep hunt this past summer (northern BC) and definitely can echo most of what others have posted above.

Try to get a bunch of weekend “test” trips with all the gear you want to bring before hand. Really helps decide if you really need something or if it is just a want item prior to being way back in the mountains with no place to ditch excess kit.
If you are going with other folks I would say try to split the kit up as much as possible - again the spotters etc. I went solo so had no choice but to pack it all.

For the rifle; again you are with other people so not a big deal as far as worrying about bears, solo it is a bit more of a concern. I just brought my 30-06 for sheep with Hornady 178gr ELD’s and then had a mag in the rifle of 220gr Interlocks as my hiking ammo. Not the best round for bear but better than nothing and made the rifle dual-purpose in my case.

Good cardio paired with broken in boots will go a lot further than any lightweight piece of gear. That and a good sleep (quality pad and sleeping bag) will help you enjoy your trip more than worrying about what brand or weight it is!

View attachment 146536
How do you like those salewas? What model are they?

I hear ya .... it's a butt whipping regardless
Lol. Thanks. Can definitely never train enough.

But it was meant as a bit more of a cautionary post, as opposed to to trying discourage. I live close to Whistler and the surrounding backcountry, and in the last 20 years I've been apart of way too many rescue/missions to help people who had no idea what the mountains are all about. Crossfit has made the backcountry semi-dangerous around here. Amazing the number of people who head out, looking for an a** kicking and dont realize the mountains can always hand out more then any gym trainer, and you can't just stop when you want to.

I dont look at the pain suffered in the mountains as an a** kicking, it is simply part of being in the mountains. No more, no less. When I hear people talk about it like that is the challenge, I just get a little cautious.