Sheep hunter rescued...

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
I disagree, and I know guys who have been rescued, and had to leave their gear and rifles. Sheep season September 1980 there was four foot of snow dumped in 30 hours, they sent military helicopters to extract everyone in the Delta area. We were on the Robertson Glacier, and had been trapped mid way up the glacier for three days. They told us we had to leave everything. We declined the extraction.
That isn't the case anymore. They changed that a couple years back if I remember correctly. This is straight out of this years regs under the you MAY NOT section. So it looks like they could legally take the guys gun and gear off the hill. Whether they did or didn't is another question entirely.

You MAY NOT take any game by:
Using a helicopter for hunting or for transporting hunters,
hunting gear, game meat, trophies, or any equipment used
to pursue or retrieve game, EXCEPT helicopter use may be
authorized to rescue hunters, gear, or game in a life-threatening
situation.

Yeup, I've talked to a guy that had to hit it for one partner a few years ago. It was a big argument during the evac that two guys were going to stay in and pack sheep out while the third got a ride out. Don't remember exactly who lifted them, but they were basically told to load everything and get in. Called troopers once they were out and no problem. Troopers would rather see people live than be that petty.

ColeyG

WKR
I disagree, and I know guys who have been rescued, and had to leave their gear and rifles. Sheep season September 1980 there was four foot of snow dumped in 30 hours, they sent military helicopters to extract everyone in the Delta area. We were on the Robertson Glacier, and had been trapped mid way up the glacier for three days. They told us we had to leave everything. We declined the extraction.

They were told that because that was the preference of the pilot and/or crew, or agency policy or directive at the time. On the numerous occasions I have worked with and on state, federal, and military helicopters as part of search and rescue operations, it was always our call.

There is no law or regulation that requires state or federal agencies to either take or leave gear in these types of situations, nor has there been. The language in the AK reg book was updated so as to avoid confusion as to the difference between using helicopters to support hunting activities vs. using them for emergency operations involving hunters.

Last edited:

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
OK........It appears the regulation was "changed".

Soon they will "change" the regulation about "drone" usage while hunting. OK to use a drone, but you can't shoot the "Same" day you used the drone.

I would expect there will be an increase of fake a twisted ankle, and get a ride out.

A friend a few years ago took two days to pack in sixteen miles to where he wanted to hunt sheep, Took him five and half days of relaying everything to get out.

Last edited:

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
This has been an interesting thread to watch. I was talking with one of the guys who picked up this hunter and told him about this thread...I quote, "Of course we took his gear, we're Alaskans not Liberals." So there is your answer.
Liberals do exactly what they did.
The other option was move him and his gear "BACK" up the mountain, and let him hike down. NOTE.....He was "Not" injured, just afraid and unskilled. He only needed to be rescued from the spot he put himself in, not a ride back to Palmer.

All this does is "lower" the standard for any one who wants a ride home. Next year there will be more similar rescues, and in five years it will be standard procedure.

MTredneck

FNG
I think I'd be pretty glad they didn't print my name in the newspaper article if it was me! Glad he was okay, but I might actually rather take a fall than push that button. Although I've never had a sat device on me when I was in that position, and I get how the pucker factor can take over. Maybe it would be different if I knew I could *carefully* pull a ride out of my pack. But then I'd have to face those scornful looks from the guys in the chopper.

I just hope he didn't take any unnecessary risks knowing he could pull the rip cord. Those crews still have to stick their necks out. And if he didn't pay for it, it just means we all did.