Sheep Hunting Advice for Traditional Archery

bisblue

Hey folks,
I drew a ewe bighorn tag for my local unit here in Southern Nevada. I've seen lots of sheep as a park ranger/ wilderness ranger. I'd like to take my traditional bow on this hunt.

Any tips or tricks for getting in close from other sheep hunters?

I was told they will give you more leeway coming in from the side or downhill as compared to coming from above.... I have them fairly patterned in a few spots and know the area very well.

Best,

Bryceo29

If the sheep are used to seeing humans, they can be approached but getting close enough with Trad equipment is difficult. Pattern them and wait as an ambush is more likely how you will get close enough to shoot one.

lonedave

As you know, they follow their well established trails quite a lot. If there are animals in the area, I'd probably set up an ambush along one or several. Otherwise, I'd try to spot them and stalk from behind a rock outcrop as you would a mulie. I had a tag for a ewe in Washington in 2019 and took the one in my avatar with my .45 T/C Seneca from about 40 - 45 yards. The season was during the rut though and this ewe was moving downhill being pushed by a ram. I took the shot when it felt right, but she would have kept coming closer and I probably could have had a 20 - 25 yard shot pretty easily. I was climbing up to them from the canyon bottom, so you may have something about coming from below rather than above. As you can see, other than the hat, I had no camo on either. Congrats on the tag!

2019 Ewe.jpg

Felix40

There’s no secrets. They aren’t very spooky but I do think they have good vision.

I’m a big fan of wrestling shoes for stalking in sharp rocks and cactus.

Blockcaver

Good luck! I've arrowed five rams over the years with my compound (Grand Slam plus an extra bighorn). All were taken on stalks from above. Some bighorn stalks put me within trad range. Takes the right terrain and upward thermals to get it done.

Wrench

I'd send Aron Snyder an email. He's a sneaky bastard and trad guy. I'd bet he'd be happy to tell you what has and hasn't worked to help you succeed.