Sheep hunting rifle

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using a Nosler M48 Sporter in .300WSM. Kinda overkill for sheep but just right for most other stuff.

300wby

FNG
I had a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight Weight in .270win a few years back. Ran a Burris fullfield 2, 3x12 scope if I recall right. it loved federal premium 130gr trophy bonded bear claws, the originals. Shot pinky finger nail sized groups at 100 yards. For some stupid reason I decided to trade it in. One of the dumbest things I’ve ever done..

this rifle was special.

Like my sheep rifle to max out at no more than 8lbs completely tricked out with a full mag. But I also like something with all rugged components that will stand up to tough mountain conditions. What I’ve noticed is when a rifle (bare gun) goes below 6lbs the additional weight loss begins degrading other features, components, handling or consistent accuracy. Some comments on those you mentioned and a few others to consider:

Kimber — Never Again = after numerous attempts and a lot of $, it still wouldn’t shoot

Barrett Fieldcraft — am familiar with it and a few friends own them give nothing but glowing reports

Bergara Premier Mountain — after considerable research I almost bought one and still might

H-S Precision PHL - they just started making it again. Have one, and it is my “go-to” 6.5CM sheep rifle. A bit more expensive, but extremely well made, handles like a dream, and gets 1/2 MOA groups with several loads.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
I handled a Sako 85 Carbonlight a few years back and was really impressed. The short action models weigh around 5.5 lbs and balanced really well. They weren't cheap and may be hard to find. However, they are worth a look.

xrangerx

WKR
I’ve got a kimber setup like the one posted earlier that is sub 6lbs ready to go (in 308). Super light (for me), accurate enough, and easy to pack. I agree with the others that I would prefer a rifle in the 8lb area for overall shoot ability. There is a place for 6lb rifles for sure and I doubt mine is going anywhere, but 8-9lbs is my sweet spot for a good combo of shootability and weight.

I haven’t been sheep hunting yet but will make it happen one day! I think the tikka rifles are a tough to beat for a lighter weight option. My 7-08 with leupold vx3i 4.5-14 will probably go with me when I do go on a sheep hunt. It’s right at 7.5 pounds empty which for me is about perfect. View attachment 145704

Agreed. I have a T3 in 270 with the same scope in 3.5-10x40. Love the setup.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Not sure where you’re hunting but if in grizzly country I would pack more than a 6.5 CM. Had some good run ins over the past few years and I now pack a little more heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a lot of grizzlys around where I hunt usually see 4-5 every trip. Now you have me thinking about maybe stepping up to a 270WSM or a 300WSM. I would like the rifle to be under 7lbs when finished but I am worried about the recoil of a large caliber with a light rifle. I currently shoot a 30-06 with 165gr and rifle weighs 8.2 pounds. The recoil doesn’t bother me much. I have been reading about the 7mm-08 as a good sheep round but would be light for elk/bear

There is a lot of grizzlys around where I hunt usually see 4-5 every trip. Now you have me thinking about maybe stepping up to a 270WSM or a 300WSM. I would like the rifle to be under 7lbs when finished but I am worried about the recoil of a large caliber with a light rifle. I currently shoot a 30-06 with 165gr and rifle weighs 8.2 pounds. The recoil doesn’t bother me much. I have been reading about the 7mm-08 as a good sheep round but would be light for elk/bear

If your after a primary sheep rifle, I'd not let the grizzly scenario impact your decision much. A 7mm-08 will knock a grizzly flat - much more so than any handgun you'll ever carry. It's also an excellent elk round at reasonable distances. If you are hunting grizzly then by all means something stiffer may be appropriate. Not that there is anything wrong with a 300wsm - I have one. But if you want a light, easy shooting sheep gun - a sub 6 pound 300wsm is not one of those. You'll either want it heavier or accept that it will have sharp recoil. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
If your after a primary sheep rifle, I'd not let the grizzly scenario impact your decision much. A 7mm-08 will knock a grizzly flat - much more so than any handgun you'll ever carry. It's also an excellent elk round at reasonable distances. If you are hunting grizzly then by all means something stiffer may be appropriate. Not that there is anything wrong with a 300wsm - I have one. But I'd you want a light, easy shooting sheep gun - a sub 6 pound 300wsm is not one of those. You'll either want it heavier or accept that it will have sharp recoil. My 2 cents.

Thank you for the Input! I would like to be able to practice a lot with rifle and not develop a flinch so I might stick with a smaller caliber. I have narrowed it down to a few rifles. Looking for some input. Would like to stay close to 6lbs with a scope on

Howa alpine rifle
Savage 110 lightweight storm. (Top pick)
Kimber hunter
Tikka t3 (gun is already over 6lbs)

I don't have direct experience with any of those, but I think even with lightweight rings and scope your are closer to 6.5lbs. - not that there is anything wrong with that. I have a 15 year old kimber that I struggled mightily with to get a hand load to shoot an inch, but I've heard positive reports on the new stuff. On the other hand I prefer the twist rate on the kimber over the others for the 7mm-08. Might not be an issue for you depending on what pills you want to feed it! Good luck!

neut

FNG
I run a kimber mountain ascent re-barreled to 6.5x47L that weighs 6lb 6oz with a 3-9x40 leupold and 4 shells. Was lucky enough to down my bighorn last season at 298yds, running a 129 accubond lr. My advice is run a caliber you are comfortable to shoot, and learn to shoot it well. My rem700ti 300rsaum was particularly violent, and we are no longer friends.

Kotaman

WKR
You might put Sako Finnlight on your list. Mine is in 300 WSM. I've shot quite a few rams, mtn goats, elk, deer, antelope, bear, ….the list goes on with it. Mine hardly kicks. I believe the weight with scope is around 7 lbs. Super nice for hauling up and down sheep hills.

Finnlight is a great production rifle, but it is not an ultra light by any means. Bare rifle is 6.8. With a scope it is pushing 8 lbs. I like my sheep rifles to weigh closer to 7 lbs. than 8. I've had great luck with Kimber Montanas and Mountain Ascents. The Fieldcraft gets great reviews but I've never owned one. I LOVE Sako, but they just aren't considered "ultra light" for the most part. The exception is the Sako CarbonLight that comes in around 5.5 lbs. and is their "lightweight".

You can lose all the weight you want, but it is still nice tote a rifle weighing in under 7 lbs. in the sheep mountains.

An 8# 30-06 doesn't sound like too much weight and you don't need to change calibers in case you have a grizzly bear issue. The 30-06 will take care of you and work very well. I use nothing but 165 gr. Accubonds or Partitions in my 30-06 and I have complete confidence in it.

C Bow

WKR
My sheep rifle kimber 308

Attachments

• 20200503_110552.jpg
    20200503_110552.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 32