Sheep hunting tips

Elite

WKR
I am wondering what’s the best way to hunt sheep from a backpack is, (no horses). Is it better to try and camp high in the mountains or down in the valleys? My area has a lot of timber and hard to see areas. So I am wondering if it is better to hike high and try and walk and look down into the bowls/drainages or just hike the valleys and glass into bowls as you walk? Any other tips would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhm2023

WKR
I do both depending on what the terrain dictates. I prefer to stay low as much as possible for better water access and because the Army didn't do my knees any favors. If you go high be sure not to silhouette yourself against the skyline. Let your eyes do the walking and glass frequently.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
High vs low depends on the area for me. Are the ridges hikeable? How far can i hike a ridge before it becomes too sketchy? Is there water up high? Can I see into the cuts and bowls from the valley floor? I can stay low and not have to bushwack up the valley?

Honestly my sheep hunts are usually a combo of valley and ridge. I'm in a valley for a couple days then climb a ridge that looks good and hunt high for a couple days until I have to drop down to move to another valley or ridge. If I have the option I do like to stay as high as possible.

kad11

WKR
I am wondering what’s the best way to hunt sheep from a backpack is, (no horses). Is it better to try and camp high in the mountains or down in the valleys? My area has a lot of timber and hard to see areas. So I am wondering if it is better to hike high and try and walk and look down into the bowls/drainages or just hike the valleys and glass into bowls as you walk? Any other tips would be appreciated

Thinhorns or bighorns?

kad11

WKR
I'd think glassing from up high would be your best bet. I'm never able to see likely habitat very well from below...

If the ridges interconnect, get high and try to stay up there, glassing carefully. Once I topped a ridge, went down some and sat to rest a while. The one on the wall walked along about 300 yd. below me. Meaning, luck is part of it, and another part is trying to be as unobtrusive as possible while moving. Another time, I walked along ridgetops and saw them in the bowl. Good luck with your hunt. I hope you have good optics to help you pick the right one.

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
If the ridges interconnect, get high and try to stay up there, glassing carefully. Once I topped a ridge, went down some and sat to rest a while. The one on the wall walked along about 300 yd. below me. Meaning, luck is part of it, and another part is trying to be as unobtrusive as possible while moving. Another time, I walked along ridgetops and saw them in the bowl. Good luck with your hunt. I hope you have good optics to help you pick the right one.
I believe longbarrel is correct in saying to stay high. Bighorn often stay in timber and it seems much easier to look into timber from above. The other tip I offer is to get the absolute best optics you can afford. It is amazing the enjoyment a good pair of glasses brings. Spend the money on glass versus the rifle.

I learned the importance of good optics when trying to find a white mountain goat next to a white rock in white snow. With sheep, you want to pick the right one, and then transfer that view into the rifle scope accurately.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I learned the importance of good optics when trying to find a white mountain goat next to a white rock in white snow. With sheep, you want to pick the right one, and then transfer that view into the rifle scope accurately.

I did splurge on some Swarovski optics this year

Jimss

WKR
If there is gobs of country with few rams it's to your advantage to get as high as possible so you can cover as much country with glass as you can. This will likely save you lots of time and boot leather. You will also be able to look into all the little draws and canyons that are impossible to view from below. Here in Colo rams tend to spend more time (especially in winter) on south facing slopes. If you happen to know what slopes, aspects, and feed rams concentrate on in your area the time of year you plan on hunting it can eliminate a lot of country. If there are few water sources it will also eliminate a lot of void country.

I harvested a Colo ram a couple days ago. On my first scouting trip into the country I knew held rams I got on the highest ridges possible where I could cover lots of country with glass. I could cover several bowls and basins from one location. If I was glassing from low I would have had to hike a lot of miles to cover the same ground. It sometimes helps to glass directly across giant canyons or follow ridgetops to glass down both sides. Sky-lining yourself is a big no-no so keep that in mind.

Sheep have some of the best eyes on our planet...so also keep that in mind! I'm not sure how many rams spotted me from 1/2 to 1 mile away while I was glassing them with my head barely above the ground! Rams may move completely out of an area if you are camped within sight. I've had that happen in Alaska several times when dropped off by air.