Sheep/Mountain Rifle Possibilities

madcalfe

WKR
If you wanna do the 1 gun route just build a custom to how you want it.
My 1 gun is a custom .300wsm
20” proof sendero
Defiance anti SA
Paradigm carbon stock
Trigger tech special
Finished weight is 5lbs 4oz with mag.
Topped with a kahles k318i
8lbs 2oz scoped with bipod (I’m running a 2+lbs scope)
It’s shooting 178gr eldx hand loads at 2945fps.
1FEF88D3-8E17-4FA1-9E33-F020326BA3E8.jpeg

tdot

WKR
The one thing I'd wish I'd been told before I started moving into higher end rifles was to ensure the stock fits you. I bounced around between Kimbers, Coopers and some custom Manners stocks, everything shot well, but it wasn't until I had the chance to handle a bunch of aftermarket stocks at a supplier that suddenly I found some characteristics I prefer. I've sold off everything and tried for a one gun quiver, but I've decided a 2 gun quiver was better. I'm way happier with 2 customs then with a half dozen mid-tier rifles. One is 8lbs and one is 6.75lbs, both have similar shaped stocks, same trigger and glass. Both are switch barrels, so I have 4 cartridges to choose from. The shootability of both rifles, with stocks that work for me, far exceed the Kimbers and Coopers that didn't quite fit. I can absorb the recoil more consistently across a wider range of field positions.

I prefer a wider, flatter fore-end then would typically be seen on a ultralight light stock, as I find them much more stable when rested on a pack.

I think your choice of the 280ai is a great mountain cartridge, though I'd suggest a 7saum for the short action. 23" barrel is the longest I have any more. 20"-22" is preferred.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve handled the Backcountry TI in 280. I was excited about the weight. But the action seemed rough to me and the safety just felt cheap. I was disappointed, as I really wanted that gun, but it did not feel as good as my Mountain Ascent which I bought for half what the TI costs.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro