Sheep mounts and Taxidermist

jhm2023

WKR
I really like wall pedestal type mounts for sheep with a little habitat work. Here's mine from a few years ago.
22503a7b7bfdde705a5b28e4945b31b3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Finding a competent taxidermist for the species you are having mounted is very important, otherwise you'll end up with something like this... and your wife will not allow you to hang it up haha. This mount was absolutely horrible in every way.

bad ram.jpg

Then, you'll have to find a new cape and new taxidermist so that it can be redone, like this... Much better!better ram.jpg

Shameless use of this thread to post another picture of my one and only sheep mount, this time with a better camera. It has only been on my wall a couple months, but it was well worth the wait and has quickly become one of my most prized possessions. I find myself just staring at the damn thing, reliving those days on the mountain I spent in this old rams domain.

As Nick and others have mentioned, choose your taxidermist wisely. The more and more sheep mounts I have looked at over the years, the more I have come to understand that getting a Dall sheep done right is a hard thing to do. It truly is an art to make a sheep mount look life like, but in reality there are very few true artists (at least in Alaska) that know how to make a sheep look like a sheep, and not Alf.

V1haYJp.jpg

jwatts

WKR
Shameless use of this thread to post another picture of my one and only sheep mount, this time with a better camera. It has only been on my wall a couple months, but it was well worth the wait and has quickly become one of my most prized possessions. I find myself just staring at the damn thing, reliving those days on the mountain I spent in this old rams domain.

As Nick and others have mentioned, choose your taxidermist wisely. The more and more sheep mounts I have looked at over the years, the more I have come to understand that getting a Dall sheep done right is a hard thing to do. It truly is an art to make a sheep mount look life like, but in reality there are very few true artists (at least in Alaska) that know how to make a sheep look like a sheep, and not Alf.

Show off.

Just kidding. That ram looks better every time I see it.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Can’t recommend him, ruined my goat with shoddy work.

And, he’s an arrogant a$$hole. I spoke with him
On the phone years ago and it was enough for me to never even look at his work. I hadn’t researched him, a buddy recommended and I gave him a call without looking at his site. 30 seconds on the phone was enough for me to write him off. Worked out great in the end, obviously saved me any shoddy work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: