Sheep Realistically Speaking

what distance do you sheep hunters consider close? considering the terrain they live in, it has to be tough to get within 20 yards of one.

Last edited:
The terrain is the limiting factor. As far as the ram goes they are not all the difficult to sneak up on if you have good terrain for a stalk. That being said it is usually tough to find a sheep in any terrain that is ideally suited for a close stalk. I wouldnt hesitate to shoot a sheep out to 45-50 yards if I have a good solid shot!

OP
trophyhill
The terrain is the limiting factor. As far as the ram goes they are not all the difficult to sneak up on if you have good terrain for a stalk. That being said it is usually tough to find a sheep in any terrain that is ideally suited for a close stalk. I wouldnt hesitate to shoot a sheep out to 45-50 yards if I have a good solid shot!

what elevation do you hunt them up in Alaska?

The elevations I hunted in this past year were not all that high at around 7500, but the valleys we started in were only a few hundred feet above sea level, so that can be a little decieving. Much taller than the 10,000 foot peaks in the rockies that start out at 5000-6000 feet. There are some taller sheep peaks in other area's of the state, but I love the Brooks range!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Dang Cory where are you going man for sheep. Anything above 7000' is covered in ice and snow and most of the sheep are far below me at the point. Really no need to go much above 6500' for dall sheep at all in my limited experience let alone stay and hunt that high.

R

rebecca francis

It's not unreasonable to get within 20 yards depending on the terrain. Both my bighorn and my dall were in areas where I was able to put good stalks on several sheep. My bighorn was at 28 yards and my dall ended up being 70 yards...but I met him at four feet. It was pretty intense. However, during that dall sheep hunt, I was able to get to about 20 yards on two other sheep. Sheep hunting is just plain exciting!

OP
trophyhill
It's not unreasonable to get within 20 yards depending on the terrain. Both my bighorn and my dall were in areas where I was able to put good stalks on several sheep. My bighorn was at 28 yards and my dall ended up being 70 yards...but I met him at four feet. It was pretty intense. However, during that dall sheep hunt, I was able to get to about 20 yards on two other sheep. Sheep hunting is just plain exciting!

i'm sure it is and i envy all of you that have been fortunate enough to hunt them. i watched part 2 of my Adventure Bowhunter dvd last night and got to watch him go after Stone Sheep. i would love to hunt any Big Horn Sheep some day.