Sheep rifle attributes?

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
What is the point of this thread?
What are your top 5 attributes to a sheep rifle?

I think the original question is self explanatory.

If you don’t have anything to add maybe this isn’t the thread for you. If you do go ahead and tell us what yours are.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What is the point of this thread?

To discuss what people prefer in a sheep rifle, I'm honestly not sure how you could have possible missed that. Either you didn't even bother to read the thread (including the title itself) or you're being a jerk, I'm guessing the latter. This is an open forum where people can ask questions in order to get ideas about hunting and hunting equipment as well as specific questions about hunting certain species of animals, in this case discussing what people prefer when choosing a rifle for sheep hunting.

I'll ask you, whats the point of being a jerk and adding absolutely nothing to a decent thread??? are you bored??? did your parents not pay enough attention to you??? there must be a reason.

What are your top 5 attributes to a sheep rifle? I think the original question is self explanatory. If you don’t have anything to add maybe this isn’t the thread for you. If you do go ahead and tell us what yours are.
What are your top 5 attributes to a sheep rifle? I think the original question is self explanatory. If you don’t have anything to add maybe this isn’t the thread for you. If you do go ahead and tell us what yours are.

Thank rfurman24. I guess I am just a little confused after reviewing the thread. You state that you are already familiar with exactly what you want form a rifle, so not sure what you are trying to elicit from other forum members. To be clear I am not trying to stir the pot or make myself a target for keyboard warrior insults (thinhorn AK looking at you).

I use this forum for information from more experienced folks than I. Just trying to get a handle on how my feedback can help you out. I did start a thread a while back asking for other forum members to post their setups. Lots of good info in there located here. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/show-me-your-sheep-rig.116463/

Hope that helps you out.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thank rfurman24. I guess I am just a little confused after reviewing the thread. You state that you are already familiar with exactly what you want form a rifle, so not sure what you are trying to elicit from other forum members. To be clear I am not trying to stir the pot or make myself a target for keyboard warrior insults (thinhorn AK looking at you).

I use this forum for information from more experienced folks than I. Just trying to get a handle on how my feedback can help you out. I did start a thread a while back asking for other forum members to post their setups. Lots of good info in there located here. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/show-me-your-sheep-rig.116463/

Hope that helps you out.

If anybody here is being a keyboard warrior, its you. You entered a thread with no intention of adding anything productive and talking down to somebody else. Im not a keyboard warrior at all, I just called you out.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR

Hope that helps you out.

This is much better than the first post and has some value. Thanks. I have read through that and not much of it really talks about what it is they want in a rifle. Obviously you can sift through to find some of the details. Just because I know what I want and likely will not change after countless different rifles, mostly custom, trying to figure out what the perfect rifle was for me does not mean I can't appreciate the opinions of others. One example is I hate short barrels. Others obviously hate long barrels and I can appreciate that. Out of the posts in this thread the only thing I will never be able to wrap my head around is the choice to use a low bc bullet. Regardless of weight there is an option available to have a high bc bullet. Higher bc bullets always give some advantage and that grows the farther out you shoot. I have killed more animals than I can count with them(most never took a step) so I know they work. In any case I did not and do not want to turn this thread into a "my favorite bullet, caliber, or cartridge" thread. Now lets get back to talking about "sheep" rifles or in Lukes case do everything rifles. LOL!

TexasCub

WKR
I’m with Luke on this one, I used the same rifle for sheep that I would have used for any other animal. Just so happens I’ve hunted Sheep with a Kimber Montana, Tikka T3 and a Ruger M77 . Weather resistant is pretty important, accuracy 1 MOA or better, sub 8 lb is nice too, my rifle spent more time strapped to my pack than in my hand so the lighter the better.

Out of the posts in this thread the only thing I will never be able to wrap my head around is the choice to use a low bc bullet. Regardless of weight there is an option available to have a high bc bullet. Higher bc bullets always give some advantage and that grows the farther out you shoot. I have killed more animals than I can count with them(most never took a step) so I know they work. In any case I did not and do not want to turn this thread into a "my favorite bullet, caliber, or cartridge" thread. Now lets get back to talking about "sheep" rifles or in Lukes case do everything rifles. LOL!
Not trying to change the direction of the thread, but what do you consider to be a low BC bullet, (ie., less than .350, .400, .450, etc.)?

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR

Hope that helps you out.

This is much better than the first post and has some value. Thanks. I have read through that and not much of it really talks about what it is they want in a rifle. Obviously you can sift through to find some of the details. Just because I know what I want and likely will not change after countless different rifles, mostly custom, trying to figure out what the perfect rifle was for me does not mean I can't appreciate the opinions of others. One example is I hate short barrels. Others obviously hate long barrels and I can appreciate that. Out of the posts in this thread the only thing I will never be able to wrap my head around is the choice to use a low bc bullet. Regardless of weight there is an option available to have a high bc bullet. Higher bc bullets always give some advantage and that grows the farther out you shoot. I have killed more animals than I can count with them(most never took a step) so I know they work. In any case I did not and do not want to turn this thread into a "my favorite bullet, caliber, or cartridge" thread. Now lets get back to
I guess I'm not sure why a sheep rifle has to have too many specific attributes that other rifles don't have.

I want all my rifles regardless if they are on my pack to chase sheep, bear, moose, caribou, mountain goat, deer or whatever to be the following:

1)Relatively light weight say sub 8 all up is nice (lighter than that is even nicer)

2)Short and handy (no thanks for any barrel longer than 24" (20" or less is even mo betta) as the rifles spend far more time strapped to my pack than in my hands and as such no one likes having a long barrel sticking up and catching on alders.

3)Reasonably accurate (ideally sub 1 moa is fine, sure 1/2 MOA is better no doubt but not needed) I know I am the limiting factor when it comes to shooting off my pack with my left foot slipping down the slope on the scree and a sharp rock is sticking into my gut while waiting for the animal to turn broadside. That 1/2 MOA of accuracy from 1 MOA to 1/2 MOA isn't really gonna be the make/break of any sheep hunt for me.

That said I am far from an expert when it comes to sheep hunting especially with only shooting 2 myself (both with bullet with BCs of well less that .5 let alone .6) and seeing 9 more killed and helped hauled off the mountain for other folks.

I honestly feel folks (myself included) spend FAR too much time worrying about their rifles/load/scope/gear and far too little time on actually getting out and hiking, learning about sheep, getting in shape, or even scouting on where they'd like to hunt sheep.

Reality is for me is that any rifle can be a sheep rifle, just like most any centerfire is a grizzly rifle if its the one I happen to have along with me at the time.

I absolutely love hearing your perspective. I asked about sheep rifles because for some the perfect rifle weighs 10-13 lbs scopes to shoot across canyons and I am not interested in those in this thread. I am going to give you my perspective being from eastern Kansas. If I lived in the middle of my preferred hunting areas as in CO, WY, MT, UT, ID, AZ, I would be out spending more time scouting and hunting. Being 13-24 hours from most of my hunting destinations makes it impossible to do that. I do get out there as much as possible but I just can't be in the field as much as some. So I spend my time bettering myself through physical fitness and bettering my equipment. To me ever little bit of both helps no matter how small. I make sure my rifles can shoot as far as I would want by having the current equipment and the most accuracy and best ballistics for the intended game. I know that last part is a turn off to some but it is what it is. I never intentionally take a long shot just to brag but sometimes when time is running out on a tag that took years to draw it is all I have. I know I am prepared. Again I don't want this thread to get off topic but that is my perspective. I do think there is a happy medium between the 4lb rifle and the 12 lb rifle.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Not trying to change the direction of the thread, but what do you consider to be a low BC bullet, (ie., less than .350, .400, .450, etc.)?
LOL! I think the derail is inevitable. I would not shoot anything under .6 for most NA game.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Guys who dream of doing stuff overthink stuff compared to guys that do stuff not even thinking about it. While there are advantages to high BC bullets it’s so far from necessary for a sheep hunt that it’s not worth mentioning.

You are over generalizing for sure. I “do stuff”. I’ve got plenty of dead animals. Doesn’t mean I’ll ever believe in just picking up a savage axis with a package scope and white box Winchester ammo to just go “ do stuff”. Please can we get this back on topic if not I’m out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

slvrslngr

WKR
-Light (6.5-7.5 lbs all up)
-Accurate (1” or less at 100yds)
-Trim
-Weather resistant (doesn’t have to be stainless but can’t turn into a rust bucket after an hour in the rain.)
-Reliable (feed and eject properly, holds zero, trigger works in all conditions)

mule man

Lil-Rokslider
Going to be using a 7lb 270 ackley with brown precision stock, tricked out remington action, NP3 and rogard, and #1 pacnor barrel. Shoots 150 bergers at 3100 fps. 4.5x14x40 leupold LR Scope with turrets.

TexasCub

WKR
You are over generalizing for sure. I “do stuff”. I’ve got plenty of dead animals. Doesn’t mean I’ll ever believe in just picking up a savage axis with a package scope and white box Winchester ammo to just go “ do stuff”. Please can we get this back on topic if not I’m out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Let me rephrase what I said , I mean for guys that dream of doing certain hunts that are in some ways almost unattainable to them they tend to way overthink it to death where as a guy that can do those things at will annually doesn’t fixate as much thought in to it. Didn’t mean to accuse you of not doing stuff just not sheep hunting. Plus I’m not even sure how a guy from Kansas will ever be able to hunt mountain sheep without writing one big ass check.

For what it’s worth I don’t know what the BC is of a Easton XX78 2315 arrow but I’m pretty sure it’s less than .60 and it worked just fine.

And a 165 TSX WITH A BC of .398 didn’t seem to struggle either.

Attachments

• E246F2FF-A4BE-4545-901F-DB2E54663F00.jpeg
    E246F2FF-A4BE-4545-901F-DB2E54663F00.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 4F5167FE-61FD-4D0F-9BE5-B21B253574BB.jpeg
    4F5167FE-61FD-4D0F-9BE5-B21B253574BB.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
OP,

Looks like you might have found something that fits the bill.

7e6467ac938b5fe9fb88bb34c5da81fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rope

FNG
The camp I sit at is repeatable accuracy is everything. Having good supporting equipment that gives data to make that shot possible. My primary hunting rifle weighs in at 10.2 pounds fully loaded with stock pack with 9 spare rounds- 4 Scenars 5 Barnes LRX's.

LightFoot

WKR
OP,

Looks like you might have found something that fits the bill.

7e6467ac938b5fe9fb88bb34c5da81fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That Gunwerks ClymR is oh so sexy. Though, for the price of that rifle and scope, you could lug your current rifle after sheep in AK or Canada.

Not judgin', just sayin'...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That Gunwerks ClymR is oh so sexy. Though, for the price of that rifle and scope, you could lug your current rifle after sheep in AK or Canada.

Not judgin', just sayin'...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I wanted one but building something different instead.. That said, if you have a line on $10k sheep hunts in Canada and AK, please PM those details!

Last edited: