tell me your thoughts
300 wsm
lone peak ti action
AG composite stock
2.5-10 42 Nightforce
18-20 in proof light
trigger tech
spartan bipod

I saw enough grizzlies up close and know of one story much worse that I'm wanting to leave my 6.5 at home

Looking for any reccomendations you guys think I may need

Sounds like a pretty solid mountain rifle to me. I am doing something very similar.

C Bow

WKR
I have seen shit heads killed at a little over 1500 yards with a 7.62 with witnesses

tdot

WKR
tell me your thoughts
300 wsm
lone peak ti action
AG composite stock
2.5-10 42 Nightforce
18-20 in proof light
trigger tech
spartan bipod

I saw enough grizzlies up close and know of one story much worse that I'm wanting to leave my 6.5 at home

Looking for any reccomendations you guys think I may need

That's almost identical to the build I just received from my Smith. I went with a medium length action, 22" barrel and a wildcat cartridge. Just finished barrel break in and fireforming 100 cases, and I am just stupid excited with how well the gun shoots and how well it carries/shoulders, etc. Seriously thinking about dumping 3 or 4 of my other rifles as I dont think I'll be using them anymore:)

I had the Ti action fully nitride coated and it is amazingly smooth. Highly recommend that upgrade.

I also added the Christensen Arms muzzle break in Ti. I think it was 2oz, and it only added about 1.5" or so to the length.

The only disappointment I have is the scope. The NXS 2.5-10 has a bit of a smaller eyebox then I expected. I need to play around with rings a little more and eye relief, hopefully I get to a happier place with it.

Do you reload your own ammo?

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
That's almost identical to the build I just received from my Smith. I went with a medium length action, 22" barrel and a wildcat cartridge. Just finished barrel break in and fireforming 100 cases, and I am just stupid excited with how well the gun shoots and how well it carries/shoulders, etc. Seriously thinking about dumping 3 or 4 of my other rifles as I dont think I'll be using them anymore:)

I had the Ti action fully nitride coated and it is amazingly smooth. Highly recommend that upgrade.

I also added the Christensen Arms muzzle break in Ti. I think it was 2oz, and it only added about 1.5" or so to the length.

The only disappointment I have is the scope. The NXS 2.5-10 has a bit of a smaller eyebox then I expected. I need to play around with rings a little more and eye relief, hopefully I get to a happier place with it.

Do you reload your own ammo?
What stock did you use with the medium length action?

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
McMillan Game Hunter, carbon.
Was that something they had the inletting pattern for (since medium length action) or was it something you had to send your barreled action to them to be fitted? I use a lot of McMillan stocks in Game Scout and Carbon Edge but they are usually standard short or long action Remington 700’s

tdot

WKR
Was that something they had the inletting pattern for (since medium length action) or was it something you had to send your barreled action to them to be fitted? I use a lot of McMillan stocks in Game Scout and Carbon Edge but they are usually standard short or long action Remington 700’s

They had the details of the action. They said they had the details for the Lone Peak bottom metal, but whatever they inletted for was not the bottom metal that I had on hand. My smith corrected it, fortunately their inlet was smaller then my bottom metal. They did request I return it to them to correct it, but I'm in Canada, so thay was not happening.

The action inlet was perfect.

My original plan was to use AG composites. But they were still in the process of entering the CNC program for the medium length inlet, I dont know where they are at now.

PM me if you have any other questions.

I have really found 4 things that make a perfect mountain/sheep/goat rifle.

1. Portable-and packable--on most hunts it needs to fit on a pack or in scabbard. No big knobs--capped windage is nice, short barrel (usually under 24 inches) and moderate to light in weight--id say the lighter the better--but a little weight helps with shooting.

2. Accurate--it doesn't have to be a super long range rig--but needs to be capable out to say 500 yards. I have had to stretch a couple shots to that range but most have been 175-300--but at some weird angles. Longest was my desert ram at 430 ish.

3 weather resistant--good coatings help a lot now..so do some of the sun materials they use now.

4. Durable--riding on a pack or slung next to a packframe..or if you take a tumble--it doesn't come up in two pieces

I have built a few-- a accurate 257 weatherby,6.5-284, then a short barreled 7-08, then a ultra light 240 WBY...finally I think I have settled on my ultimate sheep/goat rifle. A 8lb scoped and loaded 7 SAUM. Mesa Ti short action, 22 in proof carbon barrel, manners EH1, ADL bottom metal, triggertech trigger...it is nice...

mritter

FNG
I have built a few-- a accurate 257 weatherby,6.5-284, then a short barreled 7-08, then a ultra light 240 WBY...finally I think I have settled on my ultimate sheep/goat rifle. A 8lb scoped and loaded 7 SAUM. Mesa Ti short action, 22 in proof carbon barrel, manners EH1, ADL bottom metal, triggertech trigger...it is nice...

I really like the ADL bottom on a gun. More simple and stronger.
Sounds like a nice rifle.