Sheep Rifle Project

Looking for some feedback from those that have gone a similar route with a rifle project for bighorn sheep in Rockies. I have a t3x 6.5cm that is going to fatcamp. It has performed very well but I am focusing on lightening my gear this year as I will be extending my trip to 10 days off my back. I need the weight savings for the additional food.

The goal is to have a 7-7.5lb rifle that I have a good opportunity at spotting my shots. After talking to a few smiths opinions are going all over the map. Let me know where I may be wasting $ or have better options:

Tikka 6.5 CM Stainless lite. Cut barrel to 20 inches and thread 1/2X24
APA micro bastard muzzle brake
Wildcat composites ultralite stock with titanium recoil lug
Sportsmatch rings
Leupold 3-9 or SWFA 6x (scope choice will depend on balance of rifle but would prefer the SWFA)

The rifle loaded with 5 rounds should come in right around 7lbs with the 3-9 or 7.5lbs with the SWFA.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a t3x superlite in 6.5creed with sportsmatch rings and an SWFA 6x, I've only used it for caribou but I think it has the potential to be a great sheep rifle. I havn't given much consideration to the wildcat composite because I'm sort of lazy and worried I'd screw up a gun stock. I was thinking of just sending my tikka into OMR for one of their upgrade packages. I dont know yet though.

For the last few years my sheep gun has just been a kimber montana 308, its had a variety of scopes on it but usually just a 2.5-8 leupold. The gun weighs like 5lb 14oz empty and I have no problem shooting out a few hundred yards with it, I'd not hesitate to use it out to 400 yards.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I think for the money you'd have invested in a project Tikka like that you could get into something from Kimber or Christensen Arms etc that would be ready to go out of the box with a quality stock and threaded barrel.

My Montana in 7mm-08 with Swaro Z3 3-10 in Talley lightweights comes in at 96.7oz with a homemade webbing sling.

:Edit: whoops I'm an idiot, misread that you already own the rifle and aren't buying it for the project.

Last edited:
OP
O
I think for the money you'd have invested in a project Tikka like that you could get into something from Kimber or Christensen Arms etc that would be ready to go out of the box with a quality stock and threaded barrel.

My Montana in 7mm-08 with Swaro Z3 3-10 in Talley lightweights comes in at 96.7oz with a homemade webbing sling.

:Edit: whoops I'm an idiot, misread that you already own the rifle and aren't buying it for the project.
All good I know I could just buy a kimber hunter and be done at 7lbs. The tikka is already shooting extremely well though and I don’t want to take the chance on another barreled action.

If your not set on your current rifle, sell it and buy a tikka t3x superlight, saves almost 1 lb to start right there from where you are at. No reason a 6.5CM should be > 7lbs. With the changes you want to make, should be closer to 6lbs all said and done.

If you really want to go lighter, get the Kimber Montana/Ascent (search this forum), you'll be < 6lbs with modifications.

gbflyer

WKR
My super lite .308 is #7.5 with a 1.75-6x33 Leupold, full mag and leather sling. No modifications.

Ditch muzzle brake, cut down to 19”, talleys ultra, vx3i 1.5-5 or 2.5-8x36 or vx freedom 2-7x33. Don’t replace stock, it’s not worth it. Spend ~500$ more on budget rifle bring you up to kimber price. If you really want to spend money sell tikka and buy new lightweight rifle.

MT257

WKR
Not sure the reasoning but by putting a brake on a 6.5. I think you’d be fine with out a brake.

z987k

WKR
I have a t3x superlite in 6.5creed with sportsmatch rings and an SWFA 6x, I've only used it for caribou but I think it has the potential to be a great sheep rifle. I havn't given much consideration to the wildcat composite because I'm sort of lazy and worried I'd screw up a gun stock. I was thinking of just sending my tikka into OMR for one of their upgrade packages. I dont know yet though.

For the last few years my sheep gun has just been a kimber montana 308, its had a variety of scopes on it but usually just a 2.5-8 leupold. The gun weighs like 5lb 14oz empty and I have no problem shooting out a few hundred yards with it, I'd not hesitate to use it out to 400 yards.
I just ordered a wildcat for my Tikka. All you have to do is bed and paint it. That gunshop over off old Seward and diamond has done a bunch of them if you want to pay someone to do it.

Last edited:

greywacke

FNG
Ditch muzzle brake, cut down to 19”, talleys ultra, vx3i 1.5-5 or 2.5-8x36 or vx freedom 2-7x33. Don’t replace stock, it’s not worth it. Spend ~500$ more on budget rifle bring you up to kimber price. If you really want to spend money sell tikka and buy new lightweight rifle.
2nd the VX3i - the 44mm scopes weigh 14.5oz and the 50mm weighs 16.5, the 33s are ~ 13oz

That on a Tikka or Kimber short action will feel like carrying a golf club.

z987k

WKR
If your not set on your current rifle, sell it and buy a tikka t3x superlight, saves almost 1 lb to start right there from where you are at. No reason a 6.5CM should be > 7lbs. With the changes you want to make, should be closer to 6lbs all said and done.

If you really want to go lighter, get the Kimber Montana/Ascent (search this forum), you'll be < 6lbs with modifications.
The superlight saves 1lb? I thought they were only an oz or so from each other. Tikka lists the light at 2.7-2.9kg. The superlight at 2.7-2.8kg. The 6.5 is not likely on the porky side, thats probably the magnums. So you're looking at 0-.1kg or 3.5oz

Some data points. With a Wildcat stock and 18.5” barrel, my bare gun weight is 5.5 lbs. (87.5 oz).

Add about 3 oz for the smaller bore and longer 20” barrel in your gun.

Set up with a Leupold 3-9x40 and Talleys it was 6.4 lbs.

+ Gemtech suppressor and it hit 7.1 lbs

As currently configured with the Gemtech, SWFA 6x42 and Talleys, its 7.7 lbs.

Take the suppressor off, and I’m 7 lbs on the nose.

You should hit your weight goals easily. Mine has accounted for several sheep in its various forms.

z987k

WKR
Some data points. With a Wildcat stock and 18.5” barrel, my bare gun weight is 5.5 lbs. (87.5 oz).

Add about 3 oz for the smaller bore and longer 20” barrel in your gun.

Set up with a Leupold 3-9x40 and Talleys it was 6.4 lbs.

+ Gemtech suppressor and it hit 7.1 lbs

As currently configured with the Gemtech, SWFA 6x42 and Talleys, its 7.7 lbs.

Take the suppressor off, and I’m 7 lbs on the nose.

You should hit your weight goals easily. Mine has accounted for several sheep in its various forms.
What cartridge are you running on the 18in barrel?

I might have been too optimistic on the initial weights. I'm seeing the light as around 6.6lbs (2.9kg) and the superlight, at least here in the state it's exclusive to two stores as 5.9lbs (2.67kg). Might be same variances in there but you save as much from changing stocks over? This all before, though not mentioned you do any flutting, light weight bolt handle, or even lightning up the trigger guard. Should be lighter then 7lbs.

What cartridge are you running on the 18in barrel?

30-06. Velocity loss was minimal. It was done specifically to add the suppressor.

For sheep, a 6.5 would be a better option, but this is my “do-everything” gun. It didn’t do a sheep this year, but accounted for a moose and a caribou. It’s been a fine sheep gun though.

To OP. I think you are on the right track. For a sheep specific gun, I’d lean towards a slightly longer barrel and drop the muzzle brake. I lost about 1.1 oz/in with the cut as I recall, but I like a touch more muzzle weight.

The SWFA is a great field scope, but it’s anything but compact. If you aren’t dialing, a Leupold makes the whole package more trim. Every bit counts.

As mentioned by others, the SL isn’t a huge weight difference. It’s just the flutes, which are what... 3-4 oz?

Decker9

WKR
For reference, I have a T3 swede, 19” fluted barrel and a wildcat stock, sits exactly 5 1/2 lbs. loaded and a z3 3-9x36 sits at 6 1/2 lbs. makes for a very handy backpack rifle

Used T3 $750
Wildcat $500 (finished myself, very easy to do)
Barrel chop and flute $350

Your build sounds like a nice setup for a sheep rifle. If your wanting to spot your shots, I’d lean towards a break for sure. No way I can spot shots with my swede with the barrel jump.

OP
O
30-06. Velocity loss was minimal. It was done specifically to add the suppressor.

For sheep, a 6.5 would be a better option, but this is my “do-everything” gun. It didn’t do a sheep this year, but accounted for a moose and a caribou. It’s been a fine sheep gun though.

To OP. I think you are on the right track. For a sheep specific gun, I’d lean towards a slightly longer barrel and drop the muzzle brake. I lost about 1.1 oz/in with the cut as I recall, but I like a touch more muzzle weight.

The SWFA is a great field scope, but it’s anything but compact. If you aren’t dialing, a Leupold makes the whole package more trim. Every bit counts.

As mentioned by others, the SL isn’t a huge weight difference. It’s just the flutes, which are what... 3-4 oz?
Thanks yellow. I think the flutes are even less than that. An ounce or two difference on my 7 mag superlite with a longer barrel...

Your weights are right in line with what I was expecting. Scoped and loaded with my 3-9 should be 7lbs on nose with the Leupold. add 9oz for SWFA.

OP
O
For reference, I have a T3 swede, 19” fluted barrel and a wildcat stock, sits exactly 5 1/2 lbs. loaded and a z3 3-9x36 sits at 6 1/2 lbs. makes for a very handy backpack rifle

Used T3 $750
Wildcat $500 (finished myself, very easy to do)
Barrel chop and flute $350

Your build sounds like a nice setup for a sheep rifle. If your wanting to spot your shots, I’d lean towards a break for sure. No way I can spot shots with my swede with the barrel jump.
Thanks Decker. I know it may be subjective but can you quantify the muzzle flip to another caliber in a tikka? I’m expecting. About a 15-20% increase similar to a 270. That’s why I am thinking the brake can make the goal of spotting shots achievable.

Decker9

WKR
Thanks Decker. I know it may be subjective but can you quantify the muzzle flip to another caliber in a tikka? I’m expecting. About a 15-20% increase similar to a 270. That’s why I am thinking the brake can make the goal of spotting shots achievable.

The only other tikka Iv really shot was a 300wm that I owned. I had a break installed on it, it was about equivalent to my swede in terms of felt recoil, but certainly less barrel jump then the swede I believe