Sheep Rifle Project

z987k

WKR
Thanks Decker. I know it may be subjective but can you quantify the muzzle flip to another caliber in a tikka? I’m expecting. About a 15-20% increase similar to a 270. That’s why I am thinking the brake can make the goal of spotting shots achievable.
I have another rifle that is 6lb 13 oz scoped and suppressed in 6.5 and I can spot my shots with it.

gbflyer

WKR
That Wildcat stock is an interesting idea. I can never buy anything but McMillan because the company has treated me so well. Guess I’m foolish that way.

I don’t know about everyone else, but the semi-sleezy in terms of quality factory stock fits like it was made for me special by the finest stock builder in the world, especially with the vertical grip module. It took me a long time to warm up to the T3X, didn’t like it at all pointing the bare rifle at the wall at Sportsman’s. Putting a scope on it totally changed that. I’ve fired light .308’s that have been abusive, the felt recoil on this one is absolutely not a factor even with heavy 220gr loads. I don’t know how they’ve done it but any aftermarket (for me) would have to be an exact profile copy.

The Wildcat is essentially an exact copy of a T3 stock. He molded it from a factory take off. Only thing lost was the little flutes in the fore end, and the LOP is slightly extended so you can custom cut it. If you trim the LOP the same factory, a prefit pad will bolt right up.

It does predate the T3X, so it doesn’t have the vertical grip option.

Tikka + Wildcat is a well established sheep rifle recipe at this point. Hard to go wrong. I’d love to find a stainless 6.5x55 and do up another one.

I have a t3x superlite in 6.5creed with sportsmatch rings and an SWFA 6x, I've only used it for caribou but I think it has the potential to be a great sheep rifle. I havn't given much consideration to the wildcat composite because I'm sort of lazy and worried I'd screw up a gun stock. I was thinking of just sending my tikka into OMR for one of their upgrade packages. I dont know yet though.

For the last few years my sheep gun has just been a kimber montana 308, its had a variety of scopes on it but usually just a 2.5-8 leupold. The gun weighs like 5lb 14oz empty and I have no problem shooting out a few hundred yards with it, I'd not hesitate to use it out to 400 yards.
I am curious, why Sportsmatch rings instead of Warne Maxima Rings?
My impression is both mount directly on the receiver dovetail and
both use a ring recoil lug that fits into the receiver recoil hole (Tikka/Sako Optiloc system).
Thanks.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I am curious, why Sportsmatch rings instead of Warne Maxima Rings?
My impression is both mount directly on the receiver dovetail and
both use a ring recoil lug that fits into the receiver recoil hole (Tikka/Sako Optiloc system).
Thanks.

I don’t know, the sports match just got a lot of hype on here over the past few years, apparently they were designed by accuracy international but for whatever reason, now they are just marketed towards high end airgun users in Europe.

I doubt there is much difference between the sports match and the warns, same basic idea, clamps on to the built in dove tail and has a recoil post. I could be wrong but so the warns hold the scope with one bolt at the top of the ring or does each ring use the 4 bolt setup?

I believe the Sportsmatch are aluminum. I was thinking that the Warne Maxima rings were steel last I looked. I believe that's the biggest difference.

I set mine up with Talleys because they were the best lightweight rings at the time. No complaints in 10 years of use. There are probably better widgets now, but I'm not going to take these off.

OP
O
I just ordered a wildcat for my Tikka. All you have to do is bed and paint it. That gunship over off old Seward and diamond has done a bunch of them if you want to pay someone to do it.

Wildcat is local for me and one of the reasons I went that route. The owner will be delivering a finished and bedded product so I don't have to fuss with it.

I don’t know, the sports match just got a lot of hype on here over the past few years, apparently they were designed by accuracy international but for whatever reason, now they are just marketed towards high end airgun users in Europe.

I doubt there is much difference between the sports match and the warns, same basic idea, clamps on to the built in dove tail and has a recoil post. I could be wrong but so the warns hold the scope with one bolt at the top of the ring or does each ring use the 4 bolt setup?
Four T-15 torx, torqued at 25 inch pounds.
Warne Maxima Rings are made in USA which is the main reason why I purchased them.
They are steel and vertically split which may have some advantages:
https://warnescopemounts.com/why-vertically-split/

Big Ern

WKR
Tikka is a decent starting point. Have a smith true the action and put a 20” proof cf barrel on it (with your brake of choice).

lightest stock that is comfortable for you. Mesa Precision are pretty good. I like McM and will pay a little weight penalty. Manners is great, but forgo the mini chassis and be.

hawkins ultra light rings.

triggertech diamond pro trigger.

will be a wicked shooting rifle.

Side note: go to a reputable smith. There are lots of good ones. Yes, they may have a long wait time, but usually worth it. Building a light rifle isn’t hard. Building a lightweight rifle that can shoot under 1/2” groups is very hard.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Four T-15 torx, torqued at 25 inch pounds.
Warne Maxima Rings are made in USA which is the main reason why I purchased them.
They are steel and vertically split which may have some advantages:
https://warnescopemounts.com/why-vertically-split/
Interesting, I have to admit, I never really looked at the warne rings but they look like a solid option for somebody in the market for rings. My sportsmatch rings have been great for me, I can't say they are better than the warne rings though.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You guys have me wanting a wildcat stock now, whats the deal with those things? you need to install your own recoil pad, trim the stock to length, bed the action and sand it yourself?

I posted some pictures of a Wildcat stock finishing job in this thread.

The two I've done needed some minor filler on the exterior (I used bondo) before sanding. Then cut the stock with a sharp miter saw and fit the recoil pad. Action inlet is oversize, so bedding is also basically filler. The separate recoil lug on a Tikka requires you to tack it to the action with a drop of superglue when you do the bedding. Drill and tap for the sling studs.

I also needed to sand a fair amount of the end of the barrel channel to allow sufficient free float.

My final paint job was Krylon pebbled textured paint + sponge + several clear coats. It's held up three years with no chipping or noticeable wear.

Frankly, it's a project. Winter nights are long and cold in Fairbanks so I don't mind the work. There is no "easy button" on a Wildcat, but it's not excessively technical either. The perk is the weight. I'm not aware of another Tikka stock that can touch it. A Wildcat on a SL Tikka is essentially Montana 84L weight, but without the quirks of that platform. I also prefer the fit of a Tikka stock over the Montana's. YMMV

Clarktar

WKR
30-06. Velocity loss was minimal. It was done specifically to add the suppressor.

For sheep, a 6.5 would be a better option, but this is my “do-everything” gun. It didn’t do a sheep this year, but accounted for a moose and a caribou. It’s been a fine sheep gun though.

To OP. I think you are on the right track. For a sheep specific gun, I’d lean towards a slightly longer barrel and drop the muzzle brake. I lost about 1.1 oz/in with the cut as I recall, but I like a touch more muzzle weight.

The SWFA is a great field scope, but it’s anything but compact. If you aren’t dialing, a Leupold makes the whole package more trim. Every bit counts.

As mentioned by others, the SL isn’t a huge weight difference. It’s just the flutes, which are what... 3-4 oz?
We should get together and compare 06's sometime. I have a tikka, 17" barrel in a wildcat.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
I posted some pictures of a Wildcat stock finishing job in this thread.

The two I've done needed some minor filler on the exterior (I used bondo) before sanding. Then cut the stock with a sharp miter saw and fit the recoil pad. Action inlet is oversize, so bedding is also basically filler. The separate recoil lug on a Tikka requires you to tack it to the action with a drop of superglue when you do the bedding. Drill and tap for the sling studs.

I also needed to sand a fair amount of the end of the barrel channel to allow sufficient free float.

My final paint job was Krylon pebbled textured paint + sponge + several clear coats. It's held up three years with no chipping or noticeable wear.

Frankly, it's a project. Winter nights are long and cold in Fairbanks so I don't mind the work. There is no "easy button" on a Wildcat, but it's not excessively technical either. The perk is the weight. I'm not aware of another Tikka stock that can touch it. A Wildcat on a SL Tikka is essentially Montana 84L weight, but without the quirks of that platform. I also prefer the fit of a Tikka stock over the Montana's. YMMV
He will deliver it to you needing almost none of that done for some extra money.
Options include filled and sanded, aluminum or composite pillars, swivel studs in blue or nickle, cut to your specified length of pull and a recoil pad installed. Truly the only thing left is to bed and paint.

You guys have me wanting a wildcat stock now, whats the deal with those things? you need to install your own recoil pad, trim the stock to length, bed the action and sand it yourself?
As I said above, most of that he'll do if you want him to. Also Alaska Custom firearms over on old Seward has done a bunch of wildcat stocks also and can just do all of it if you want as well.

TxxAgg

WKR
The Warne rings are robust, but they are heavier than aluminum rings. For Tikkas, low talleys are 2oz and Warnes are 5oz.

OP
O
He will deliver it to you needing almost none of that done for some extra money.
Options include filled and sanded, aluminum or composite pillars, swivel studs in blue or nickle, cut to your specified length of pull and a recoil pad installed. Truly the only thing left is to bed and paint.

As I said above, most of that he'll do if you want him to. Also Alaska Custom firearms over on old Seward has done a bunch of wildcat stocks also and can just do all of it if you want as well.
He will bed to a slave action he has and paint as well. You can get a finished product shipped.

Last edited:
A Tikka T3 Lite at Sportsmans in Fairbanks cost $400-$600 on sale and the stock upgrade is $550,
with slight improvement in accuracy after the stock upgrade.

Decker9

WKR
The wildcat I did, was my first time ever bedding an action. I must say, it was as easy as pie, as was the paint and flip flop pad. If a guy has a bit of handyman, their quite easy to finish oneself, would save a guy some bucks.

Happy to show/explain what I did if interested.