Sheep rifle question

HunterEng

FNG
Building a lightweight tikka 6.5x55 for the two sheep hunts I'm saving for over the next few years. All parts have been bought, next month I will send it off. One last question for u guys. Would u replace the plastic bolt shroud and plastic trigger guard with metal parts. I know its add minor amt of weight, just over thinking things. Just in my head is metal parts r more robust in the backcountry when spending that money with a guide on a sheep hunt.

The plastic shroud is up to you. Mine never gave me trouble although it’s thin enough that’s it’s possible. But if it did crack it’s also not a show stopper. The gun would still function fine. Metal ones are pretty though.

As far as the trigger guard, I’d stick with plastic. It’s extremely tough and 100% works. With stock magazines, there is no reason to swap IMO. Not a weak link.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got a t3x so it came with the metal shroud so I cant comment on that, I guess if I was building a custom though I'd make the switch.

I put mountain tactical bottom metal on my tikka, I don't know, it has a bigger trigger guard which is nice when I'm wearing light gloves which isn't too often with that rifle, I guess if I was using that rifle for moose hunts where I'm sitting in a boat ripping up rivers then that would me nice, I could keep a glove on rather than keeping a gloved hand holding the gun and a bare hand in my pocket trying not to freeze it. I do think the magazine seems a bit more secure with the mtn tactical bottom metal but that being said I never had a problem with the plastic one.

OP
H

HunterEng

FNG
I got a t3x so it came with the metal shroud so I cant comment on that, I guess if I was building a custom though I'd make the switch.

I put mountain tactical bottom metal on my tikka, I don't know, it has a bigger trigger guard which is nice when I'm wearing light gloves which isn't too often with that rifle, I guess if I was using that rifle for moose hunts where I'm sitting in a boat ripping up rivers then that would me nice, I could keep a glove on rather than keeping a gloved hand holding the gun and a bare hand in my pocket trying not to freeze it. I do think the magazine seems a bit more secure with the mtn tactical bottom metal but that being said I never had a problem with the plastic one.
That's the one I was going to get...mt tact. OEM style. Thanks for the input.

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
I swapped my stock Tikka bottom plastic for the Mt. Tactical recently as well. The weight difference was 1.1 ounces on my scale. Never had a problem with the factory piece, but I do like the Mt. Tactical so far. Plus it looks way better in the McMillan stock than the plastic! :D

mt100gr.

WKR
If any of you guys that swapped out for new bottom metal are interested in letting the factory plastic go, PM me please. I have an empty T3 stock that i want to play with a little. The barreled action and the plastic bottom parts are currently in a carbon stock.

OP, unless you are wanting to upgrade, I would have zero concerns hauling a stock T3 or T3x anywhere. I have a couple tikka rifles and those shrouds, magazines, bottom plastics, etc have all been 100% reliable and durable.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If any of you guys that swapped out for new bottom metal are interested in letting the factory plastic go, PM me please. I have an empty T3 stock that i want to play with a little. The barreled action and the plastic bottom parts are currently in a carbon stock.

OP, unless you are wanting to upgrade, I would have zero concerns hauling a stock T3 or T3x anywhere. I have a couple tikka rifles and those shrouds, magazines, bottom plastics, etc have all been 100% reliable and durable.

if I can find mine, you’re welcome to it.

Decker9

WKR
Great choice in rifle and caliber!! My main mountain rifle is a t3 in a swede, I have it down to 5 1/2 lbs bare, 6 1/2 scoped and loaded. I opted to stick with the plastic, just to save weight, and have never had issue. But in reality, nobody would notice the few oz’s added by changing out the plastic

My dad’s tikka, did break the pins in his clip once on a mountain hunt, lost his 3 rounds and the guts from his clip, and had no spare. Ever since, I always pack a spare, and also add a piece of tape over my clip to hold it all in place, just incase.

What other mod’s are you doing to your Swede?

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent choice of calibre. the 6.5x55mm is a fantastic round. I use Norma 120 grain ballistic tips in mine.
there expensive but well worth it. I would recommend you change the bolt shroud and perhaps look at a PSE rifle stock there super rigid and lightweight.

Good Luck.
Glendine.

OP
H

HunterEng

FNG
Great choice in rifle and caliber!! My main mountain rifle is a t3 in a swede, I have it down to 5 1/2 lbs bare, 6 1/2 scoped and loaded. I opted to stick with the plastic, just to save weight, and have never had issue. But in reality, nobody would notice the few oz’s added by changing out the plastic

My dad’s tikka, did break the pins in his clip once on a mountain hunt, lost his 3 rounds and the guts from his clip, and had no spare. Ever since, I always pack a spare, and also add a piece of tape over my clip to hold it all in place, just incase.

What other mod’s are you doing to your Swede?
I'm converting a .243. I'm a lefty so find exactly what I want is only way....build it. I change the stock to a mesa precision on the .243 so will just keep that. But new fluted barrel and flute the bolt. Cerakote to make her purdy. I have always wanted a 6.5 Swede. So this .243 is rifle that is getting converted.

In regards to the bolt shroud, I've had both a T3 and T3x, never worried about the plastic shroud but its easy to change to a metal one. Plenty of aftermarket options or just order one from Beretta, they sell the metal one that is on a 3x and it fits the T3 as well.

On the bottom plastic/metal - again plenty of options. If you want to keep it looking almost exactly like the factory plastic but want it in aluminum you might take a look at these. They make a really nice aluminum upgrade.

Wassid82

WKR
Building a lightweight tikka 6.5x55 for the two sheep hunts I'm saving for over the next few years. All parts have been bought, next month I will send it off. One last question for u guys. Would u replace the plastic bolt shroud and plastic trigger guard with metal parts. I know its add minor amt of weight, just over thinking things. Just in my head is metal parts r more robust in the backcountry when spending that money with a guide on a sheep hunt.
I once had a plastic trigger guard that cracked when I slipped on a mountain. I finally had to sell the rifle. It would rattle/get caught on my gloves/ annoyed me every time I shot it. I even tried Plummer's glue to bond the guard together but the vibration would always end up winning again. I know it didn't diminish the gun necessarily but it was a mind game. If it were me and I was building from scratch I would definitely go with the metal guard.